XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Losing faith?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Great minds think alike! I checked the part number on my car because the guy from ECU Testing asked me to. I was happy to see it's exactly the same as on their website, and there's positive feedback too. I'm having the ABS unit removed & sent in next week.
And the total (given that your initiaL estimate was $XXXXXX's) is?

Old 10-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
And the total (given that your initiaL estimate was $XXXXXX's) is?
Assuming my ABS unit can be fixed (apparently that's not certain, fingers crossed): 2277€ / £2026 / $2597
Otherwise with a new ABS unit: 4262€ / £3794 / $4862
I was never going to buy the new ABS unit from Finland, due to the ridiculous price, but included the total for the fear factor.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Confused, if the rebuild costs £234, are you paying £1792 for shipping and fitting?

Last edited by MarkyUK; 10-28-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Confused, if the rebuild costs £185, are you paying £1841 for shipping and fitting?
The guy who does the rebuild and install is REALLY heavy and a fan of first class.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The guy who does the rebuild and install is REALLY heavy and a fan of first class.
He's sending it to the UK from Finland for the rebuild, so someone in-country is removing and refitting.

Am guessing he's restocking his whiskey collection with a couple of cases of this:

https://wineandcheeseplace.com/index...oduct_id=16823

Last time I had my ABS unit removed for refurb it cost me £300 and that was with a lifetime warranty (as long as I owned the car) but OP seems to be paying 6 x as much and that's just for the removal and refit.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I never pay for labor, so the prices always shock me even when they're considered "reasonable" by others. When I do work for others, I typically under charge for labor and end up charging fifty dollars per actual hour. Still usually end up being massively cheaper.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member

Confused, if the rebuild costs £234, are you paying £1792 for shipping and fitting?
That's the total cost for the issues I mentioned in my first post. New alternator + installation (4h) was £920. I do generally google a bit to get an idea on whether the work times I'm told make sense, and replacing the alternator on an X150 seemed like a lot of work. ABS unit testing etc was 3h/£340, and estimate for removal & installation is 5h/£485.
All work is done at an independent Jaguar garage, which has cheaper hourly rate than the dealership. It's still probably twice as expensive as some general multi-brand places, but I'm not comfortable with taking a car like this to one.

Last time I had my ABS unit removed for refurb it cost me £300 and that was with a lifetime warranty (as long as I owned the car) but OP seems to be paying 6 x as much and that's just for the removal and refit.
£300 for the removal alone or including refurb? On an X150?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

£300 for the removal alone or including refurb? On an X150?
Thanks for the clarification, as you advised that the alternator was now done I had thought that was out of the 'to spend' calculation.

No on an X100, so removal, opening up, resoldering, testing, refitting and flushing the braking system before refilling and test driving, he also checked/cleaned all of my abs sensors!

Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification, as you advised that the alternator was now done I had thought that was out of the 'to spend' calculation.

No on an X100, so removal, opening up, resoldering, testing, refitting and flushing the braking system before refilling and test driving, he also checked/cleaned all of my abs sensors!
Ah, thought so. As I googled for information, I noticed that the ABS unit is in a fairly convenient location on the X100, and the control module (which is the usual cause of ABS issues) can even be removed without disconnecting brake lines, as seen below.

Still, £300 for all that is an excellent price, as the repair service alone for me will be £200+.

On the X150 the ABS unit is behind the front left wheel, which I'd assume would to some extent explain the difference in removal/reinstallation cost.

Now that the car is brakeless and brake fluid -less, this is a great opportunity to have the calipers refinished...in grey or silver, I suppose.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 10-30-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Well, that took longer than expected. Courier took twice the time it was supposed to, as did the ABS unit rebuild itself, and keeping with the theme, so did the return courier. Car's working and ABS fault seems to be gone for good, HOWEVER...

The brake pedal feels really soft now; nothing happens for most of the travel. I don't think it was like this before, so I'm wondering if there's air left in the system, even though it was "painstakingly" bled.

More weirdly, there is now a weird faint "wrrrnnn-click-click" sound (recording) every time cruise control uses the brakes, be it either independently or when I decrease the set speed. The sound comes from front left, which is where the ABS unit is. I've never heard this before...but if the soft pedal indicates air in the system, I wonder if that could be the cause as well. I could understand an ABS unit making faint noises as the valves work and so on, but I reckon I would've heard it before in the 13 months of ownership prior to the ABS story arc.

By the way, the garage updated the software on the module, and now ACC brakes much more smoothly than before! A truly welcome change, that.

EDIT:
Brakes were bled again, pedal feels normal now. There's still a faint sound when ACC applies the brakes between something like 25-35mph...the rebuild has a lifetime warranty, so maybe I'll just let it be for now.

Total cost: about $2500. The ABS unit rebuild saved a lot of money, I'll keep the place in mind.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 11-15-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Isn't it great when a plan comes together. Glad it finally worked out for you. Getting all the air out of the system when the ABS unit is removed can be difficult so you may still have some that will have to work its way through the system to one end or the other.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

So pleased for you Aon, esp at a much lower price than expected.

Was the place the same one linked in this thread? Is so will keep it for reference, plus now I know the location of the ABS unit on a 5.0 my mobile mechanic can remove/refit for around £100 if I ever need to...natch I'm hoping I never do!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Isn't it great when a plan comes together. Glad it finally worked out for you. Getting all the air out of the system when the ABS unit is removed can be difficult so you may still have some that will have to work its way through the system to one end or the other.
Thanks! Indeed, apparently it's quite difficult when filling the braking system from empty. I recall reading that spare ABS units are shipped "pre-filled", perhaps that'd make things a bit easier?

So pleased for you Aon, esp at a much lower price than expected.

Was the place the same one linked in this thread? Is so will keep it for reference, plus now I know the location of the ABS unit on a 5.0 my mobile mechanic can remove/refit for around £100 if I ever need to...natch I'm hoping I never do!
I'm also thankful for the support here, I was really about to bite the bullet and order a new ABS unit; truly happy that the rebuild worked out as it roughly halved the expected cost. Still an annoying surprise though, and I've heard neither the ABS unit or the alternator should fail at such a low mileage.

Indeed; ECU Testing Ltd. Very curious how their site has exactly (and only) the part number found on my ABS unit, while I couldn't find any 2nd hand units with the same number.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed; ECU Testing Ltd. Very curious how their site has exactly (and only) the part number found on my ABS unit, while I couldn't find any 2nd hand units with the same number.
Cos we Brits are a canny bunch!

Hopefully all of your noises will disappear soon enough.