XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Love my new baby!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Indigo can be hard to get a feeling of what the color really is in a picture. It does vary so much as you say with the light. It's like several shades of dark blue all wrapped up in one!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

What a beautiful color combo! I really kind of like the Orona wheels--I have the Kasugas on my XJ and they are really hard to keep clean because the twin spokes are so close together, but they look pretty good too. It looks like the ports on the Mina exhaust might be a little bigger than those on the stock XKR--they look great. I wonder how the sound compares?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
What a beautiful color combo! I really kind of like the Orona wheels--I have the Kasugas on my XJ and they are really hard to keep clean because the twin spokes are so close together, but they look pretty good too. It looks like the ports on the Mina exhaust might be a little bigger than those on the stock XKR--they look great. I wonder how the sound compares?
The Mina pipes are noticeably larger than the XKR and XKR-S. They are a piece of art.

The Oronas look great, but I prefer a brighter finish. The Oronas that I have are diamond finished which gives them a duller/flatter/darker appearance. They do make the Oronas in a polished finish, as well, but that wasn't offered at the time I ordered the car.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks really nice, as expected... I'm sure it was worth the wait. Guess if I'm going to do the exhaust I'll have to go on faith. Have fun with it!

The following users liked this post:
aahmichael (08-18-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Great color combo. Like the dark blue with the Ivory interior. Wheels look great. Congrats, enjoy!

Albert

aahmichael (08-18-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 916 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous!! Good luck with it.

aahmichael (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
I think the competition was car/girlfriend........
Yuppers.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks Great

aahmichael (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks Great!

aahmichael (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the new car. Sounds like you love your wheels so I won't ask if you're going to go aftermarket. She's a beauty.

aahmichael (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
Congrats on the new car. Sounds like you love your wheels so I won't ask if you're going to go aftermarket. She's a beauty.

I know this may make me sound like an old guy, but to my eyes, aftermarket wheels cheapen the look of this car. I was going for a refined and elegant look, all within the context of a sleek and sexy car. That's why I chose the XK rather than the XKR, and that's also why I chose the color combo that I did.

The wheels on Ghostrider's car are the only aftermarket wheels that I've seen that enhance the look of the car. However, that's because he has a black on black aggressive looking XKR. They wouldn't work at all on my car.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Congrats Michael! Seemed like a long wait, but well worth it I'm sure. I love to see these in the less popular colours, and the indigo is really nice. Enjoy!

Bruce

aahmichael (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by aahmichael
I know this may make me sound like an old guy, but to my eyes, aftermarket wheels cheapen the look of this car. I was going for a refined and elegant look, all within the context of a sleek and sexy car. That's why I chose the XK rather than the XKR, and that's also why I chose the color combo that I did.

The wheels on Ghostrider's car are the only aftermarket wheels that I've seen that enhance the look of the car. However, that's because he has a black on black aggressive looking XKR. They wouldn't work at all on my car.
I don't think it makes you sound old. Plenty of younger guys feel the same way. The way I see it the stock wheels are just like aftermarket. They were probably made by a company that also produces aftermarket and outsourced by Jaguar.
Remember before aftermarket wheels became popular, we were riding on heavy wheels covered with hubcaps. Now, no car uses hubcaps anymore. MRR Wheels were exclusively oem before going aftermarket.
BBS supplies oem to a few brands. TSW used to supply oem but I'm not sure if they still do.
Oem's and aftermarket look just alike to me. Problem is oem's don't provide a custom look because thet usually have conservative offsets. The biggest problem for me is that everyone who buys that car will look like mine....and I can't have that.
Aftermarket wheels are not less classy on their own. It's the choice of design, style or fitment that can throw off the look or flow.

But, to each his owm.

Me, I won't leave home without them.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I am not much for aftermarket wheels either. Very few look like they were "meant" for the car. At least use the marque's emblem for the center cap!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
I don't think it makes you sound old. Plenty of younger guys feel the same way. The way I see it the stock wheels are just like aftermarket. They were probably made by a company that also produces aftermarket and outsourced by Jaguar.
Remember before aftermarket wheels became popular, we were riding on heavy wheels covered with hubcaps. Now, no car uses hubcaps anymore. MRR Wheels were exclusively oem before going aftermarket.
BBS supplies oem to a few brands. TSW used to supply oem but I'm not sure if they still do.
Oem's and aftermarket look just alike to me. Problem is oem's don't provide a custom look because thet usually have conservative offsets. The biggest problem for me is that everyone who buys that car will look like mine....and I can't have that.
Aftermarket wheels are not less classy on their own. It's the choice of design, style or fitment that can throw off the look or flow.

But, to each his owm.

Me, I won't leave home without them.
I agree. I don't think aftermarket wheels take anything from the car. Now with that said, I wouldn't put "spinners" on a XKR, it just wouldn't look right. (Honestly, I wouldnt put spinners on a bicycle). Aftermarket wheels, like any other product, is supposed to individualize the car for that paricular owner. So it's about what you like. Personally, I already have my aftermarket wheels picked out for my XKR...once I get it. Hopefully the ones I picked will leave the car looking classy, but I'm sure there will be some that wont like them.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I agree. I don't think aftermarket wheels take anything from the car. Now with that said, I wouldn't put "spinners" on a XKR, it just wouldn't look right. (Honestly, I wouldnt put spinners on a bicycle). Aftermarket wheels, like any other product, is supposed to individualize the car for that paricular owner. So it's about what you like. Personally, I already have my aftermarket wheels picked out for my XKR...once I get it. Hopefully the ones I picked will leave the car looking classy, but I'm sure there will be some that wont like them.
Oh no! don't even mention spinners.
WHen they first came out I saw this guy with a set on his S-class Benz. I told him right to his face how tacky it looked.
I've changed now and I'm much more tactful but I'll never forget that episode.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Absolutely stunning.

aahmichael (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the Jaguar stylists do a fantastic job of wheel selections. They tend to go with the understated, classy look that fits the XK's design and image. Folks that bling-up the XK or wanted an Aston panache aren't going to like them.