XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

low cost auto insurance for an XKR in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 01:02 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Keep it 2500-5k miles per year and you can go with classic car insurance for a few hundred per year. T I have been insuring non-daily driver vehicles with Hagerty since 2001. I will be switching to Grundy next policy term. Rates blow Hagerty out of the water.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

For grins, I just spoke with Grundy on the phone. For them to insure my 07, I cannot use it as a daily driver (fine) or to run errands. No trips to the doctor, stops at the grocery store or Target runs. I asked if I could stop for gas. We had a laugh. Kidding aside, my car doesn't qualify per the agent.

From their web site:
How Can I Use My Car?Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver. We require you and all licensed drivers in your household to have a modern car for everyday use.

When you have your car at home, it must be kept in an enclosed, secure garage when not in use. If you are away from home on extended outings your car is fully protected if you must park it outside, for example in a hotel parking lot. Grundy coverage includes Trip Interruption that reimburses you for hotel and repair costs in the event of a breakdown, and we also reimburse you for towing and labor charges up to $250. You can count on Grundy as you cruise.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:20 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
For grins, I just spoke with Grundy on the phone. For them to insure my 07, I cannot use it as a daily driver (fine) or to run errands. No trips to the doctor, stops at the grocery store or Target runs. I asked if I could stop for gas. We had a laugh. Kidding aside, my car doesn't qualify per the agent.

From their web site:
How Can I Use My Car?Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver. We require you and all licensed drivers in your household to have a modern car for everyday use.

When you have your car at home, it must be kept in an enclosed, secure garage when not in use. If you are away from home on extended outings your car is fully protected if you must park it outside, for example in a hotel parking lot. Grundy coverage includes Trip Interruption that reimburses you for hotel and repair costs in the event of a breakdown, and we also reimburse you for towing and labor charges up to $250. You can count on Grundy as you cruise.
My apologies. I have an x100, 2003 XKR. Until either of the classic car insurers classify an '07, "Main Stream" insurance is it.
Yes. The mileage restrictions were another plus for Grundy, over Hagerty. Hagerty is a great Company, but the premiums took a huge leap this year and forces me to consider alternatives. I have 4 vehicles on Classic Car Insurance...lol.

Last edited by 2ndeagle; 09-16-2021 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:02 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndeagle
My apologies. I have an x100, 2003 XKR. Until either of the classic car insurers classify an '07, "Main Stream" insurance is it.
Yes. The mileage restrictions were another plus for Grundy, over Hagerty. Hagerty is a great Company, but the premiums took a huge leap this year and forces me to consider alternatives. I have 4 vehicles on Classic Car Insurance...lol.
I have 3 cars on Grundy, including my 2007 XKR. I love classic car insurance. Maybe the restrictions don't work for all, but why would I go get groceries in my XKR? The trunk barely fits anything anyway

2ndeagle (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:06 PM

From their web site:

They wouldn't qualify it? Maybe it's XK vs XKR, but I have Grundy on my 07 XKR

Old 09-17-2021, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
They wouldn't qualify it? Maybe it's XK vs XKR, but I have Grundy on my 07 XKR
Nope, nothing to do with the model. She said the model qualified. It was an over the phone conversation and the agent was very specific. It was the use of the car that disqualified coverage. I use my car for errands. She said you cannot, as does their website. Pleasure driving only. Her words paraphrased - should someone ding you in a parking lot at the doctor's office, it will not be covered and then she went on to say if you use your vehicle for those sorts of things, we would not insure you.
Just passing on the info. I'd hate to see someone buy the coverage only to find out where they were in violation of coverage rules. You have the coverage so obviously you have a policy copy and would know more than me.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:07 PM

Nope, nothing to do with the model. She said the model qualified. It was an over the phone conversation and the agent was very specific. It was the use of the car that disqualified coverage. I use my car for errands. She said you cannot, as does their website. Pleasure driving only. Her words paraphrased - should someone ding you in a parking lot at the doctor's office, it will not be covered and then she went on to say if you use your vehicle for those sorts of things, we would not insure you.
Just passing on the info. I'd hate to see someone buy the coverage only to find out where they were in violation of coverage rules. You have the coverage so obviously you have a policy copy and would know more than me.
Got it, yes you have to have another daily driver (they ask you, it's listed) for errands. Your insured car has to be one more than the number of drivers in the household. So if you have 2 drivers, your XK or whatever must be at least your 3rd car.

I have 6 insured cars across 3 carriers, and 3 of them on Grundy. By far, Grundy is the cheapest of the premiums, even though it covers the most expensive cars.

Last edited by silvertonesx24; 09-17-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Sean W (09-17-2021)