XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

LS Swap X150

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 XK to 08 XKR engine swap need assistance

Hello I'm Ian and I own an 07 XK with the Aston kit. My car was recently in high water at an intersection, so it took in water in the intake and shut down. The insurance will replace the engine so I want to install an XKR engine from a wrecked 08 (150 XKR). Any assistance is appreciated. My in South Florida. What will I need besides the engine ???

Old 07-18-2024, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,397 Likes on 3,193 Posts

Originally Posted by ianreid
Hello I'm Ian and I own an 07 XK with the Aston kit. My car was recently in high water at an intersection, so it took in water in the intake and shut down. The insurance will replace the engine so I want to install an XKR engine from a wrecked 08 (150 XKR). Any assistance is appreciated. My in South Florida. What will I need besides the engine ???
A completely different body. Or, maybe the ECU and all other modules and such from the donor as they all have the VIN encoded and won't work without a lot of computer finessing. A LOT of finessing. Putting an /R engine into a non-/R is very problematic.

A couple other things...
What's an "Aston Kit"? One of those front grill openings that are larger?
Why not use a non-/R direct engine? (yeah, I already know why you don't want to)
The old engine would probably only have maybe a bent rod or such, unless it was allowed to sit full of water for too long, then it'd be a mess. If parts could be found, like from an otherwise destroyed engine, a rebuild may be 'cheaper'.
Fresh water, or salt water? Salt water, it's probably toast anyway.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-18-2024 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with Cee Jay - I own a '07 XKR - 65k miles and I do all the maintenance as no one else in my area will touch them.
I have done engine swaps between models of cars and such and totally agree doing a swap between those cars is a recipe for disaster even if you get the engine transmission working nothing else will because ALL the body modules must be synced with VIN and the donor ECM will have a diff VIN encoded - like pulling a blue thread out of a slightly different shade blue threaded ball of Yarn and not break the thread.
I thought about this if the engine goes kaput what would I do - if I had no alternative I would need to find the donor car COMPLETE and put ALL the components from the DONOR car, door handles seat actuator to headlight modules and everything in between so the donor ECM sees the my receiving XKR as the previous one everything must be exact - otherwise your windows may not work or you will have warning indicators everywhere.
for example - I was mucking around and whiped out the steering telescoping control and the headlight module - I had to find the part code - then enter the part code in the software, then let the car learn the system again before it worked again.
The TPM modules was fun too and now imagine you take an ECM from a donor and put into your car BAM!! everything is mismatched and the tables on the 2007 to 2010 are not as friendly as the later model 2011.
you need a special JLR cable the Maintenance Software and the KESS for saving your ECM code in case you blow it and have to reload it. ALWAYS keep a backup. at least annually.

just my 2 cents I am not an expert just foolhardy and not afraid to break it...
all else fails I just restore from backup...

Old 07-18-2024, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,296 Likes on 3,456 Posts

@Cee Jay and @Zippymac

Anything can be done with enough money and time, but swapping an XKR engine into an XK is for a masochist with more money than brains.

​​​​​​Save your money. I'm surprised that your insurance company didn't total your XK. Since they're willing to replace the engine, I'd let them do it. When it's finished, if you still want an XKR, sell the XK and buy a proper XKR.

Just my .

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-18-2024 at 12:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
bgpenguin21 (07-18-2024), CurtJ (07-18-2024), jahummer (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:56 PM
Received 77 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
@Cee Jay and @Zippymac

Anything can be done with enough money and time, but swapping an XKR engine into an XK is for a masochist with more money than brains.

​​​​​​Save your money. I'm surprised that your insurance company didn't total your XK. Since they're willing to replace the engine, I'd let them do it. When it's finished, if you still want an XKR, sell the XK and buy a proper XKR.

Just my .

Old 07-18-2024, 02:28 PM
Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

I sold a wrecked XKR to a fellow in Costa Rica that did just that,, he had to replace the ecms, wiring,modules,transmision,even the ignition keys and corresponding modules.
Worked out for him because he has his own shop and did it in his spare time,,took him almost half a year. You would need to buy the entire car the engine is coming out of and prepare for a very large bill from the repair shop IF they are willing to do it. Its really a waste of time and money. Have your car fixed with insurance money,sell it and but the one you want, simple,quick,easy.

Originally Posted by ianreid

The following users liked this post:
XKRAU (07-19-2024)