XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Luggage Separator Help me- Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Luggage Separator Help me- Please

Car battery was dead today. I removed the luggage separator to put a charge to it. After charging the battery I pressed the top down button and my rear windows went down. The top is closed but the rear windows won't go back up when I press the close top button. When I press top down after reinstalling the separator I get the luggage separator not in proper position message. The manuals pictures are not really clear (to me anyway). Anyone have any good pictures on reinstalling?

Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by coldpad1
Car battery was dead today. I removed the luggage separator to put a charge to it. After charging the battery I pressed the top down button and my rear windows went down. The top is closed but the rear windows won't go back up when I press the close top button. When I press top down after reinstalling the separator I get the luggage separator not in proper position message. The manuals pictures are not really clear (to me anyway). Anyone have any good pictures on reinstalling?
While I don't have photos, you must make sure the rear of the luggage separator is in the rear tracks all the way to the back. There is a swithch that gets activated telling the car the seaparator is in it's proper position.

FYI:

Buy a CTEK MUS 4.3 8 Step Smartcharger @ Amazon fro under $58.00 to keep on the battery. You won't have battery issues.

The following users liked this post:
coldpad1 (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 03:25 PM

Update - I got the luggage separator in OK - but now my back windows will not go up. I've put the top and down a number of times and when I close the top the back windows stay down is there a reset somehow?

Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Close the top and lower both front windows and keep holding the buttons for about 5 seconds. Then raise the both front windows and keep holding the buttons for about 5 seconds. Now try the top again and see if the problem is solved. If not turn off the ignition for a moment, then turn it on and try this procedure again.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
coldpad1 (07-14-2015), richzak (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Default thanks

Worked exactly as you described - thanks

Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am having the exact same issue as coldpad1. Replaced a 5 year old battery today. That was a bit of a chore as the weight of the battery makes it hard to get in and out of position.

main problem now is that I have been wrestling with that stupid luggage separator for about an hour. I just can't see how it slides in the back on both sides. Anyone have pictures or video?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Update...got the luggage separator straightened out. There is s little metal clip in the separator that was not in all the way. Don't know why that would prevent the top from working. But after I jiggled it back into snug place everything worked perfectly.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle191
Update...got the luggage separator straightened out. There is s little metal clip in the separator that was not in all the way. Don't know why that would prevent the top from working. But after I jiggled it back into snug place everything worked perfectly.
The metal clip is what makes the magnetic switch work closing the circuit so the top will open.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle191
hi Kyle, i have same problem, i have the little small clip but i dont know where to put? Do u have video or photo to show where is this sitting?

Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie Ang
hi Kyle, i have same problem, i have the little small clip but i dont know where to put? Do u have video or photo to show where is this sitting?
Originally Posted by jagtoes
The metal clip is what makes the magnetic switch work closing the circuit so the top will open.
Hello Jagtoes,
Do u have photos or videos to show where that metal clip to be installed?

Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

See photo:

The following users liked this post:
bgpenguin21 (05-31-2024)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Just found the link given by another member . Hoping !
thank you
bruce.
Ps any idea how many emerald green saddle interior XKr s’ were made .

Old 10-20-2020, 10:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude - lucky I found you! I guess this is a common problem for Jag ragtops? I have an '07 XK convertible. My battery died and an hour after jumping it the wife tried to lower the top - which froze almost immediately after unlocking. Took it to my local mechanic, he wouldn't touch it. Finally took it Top Line Jag in Springfield. They claimed that after 3 hours of investigation - they need another 3 hours to investigate - approx. $950 to determine the fault. I told not to bother and retrieved the car. I live in Woodstock VA (Shenandoah Valley)...can you recommend an independent Jag mechanic who can get my top working? Thanks!!!

Old 10-20-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

You can do it yourself. Read this entire thread, in particular WhiteXKR's Post #4. There are two steps:

1. Reinstall the luggage separator, making sure that it is fully seated in the track. Then fully raise the top with the engine running while continuing to hold the overhead switch until it fully closes.

2. If the top doesn't fully close, reset both windows as described by WhiteXKR in his Post #4 and try to close the top again. If that doesn't work, shut off the engine, wait a few seconds, restart the engine and try to close the top again. Keep holding the button in the close position.

Good luck!

If you're still having trouble, let us know. Steve (WhiteXKR) is the Top Guru and he should be able to help you get it fixed.

Old 05-24-2024, 02:45 PM
Unhappy Luggage Separator Canada

Hi All, the lugs on my luggage separator are broken off (i can only find 1) and now because the proximity switch does not recognize the separator is in place I cannot put the top down. I live in Newfoundland Canada and its very hard to find replacement parts. Any suggestions of a good Jag parts place in Canada? Can i bypass the switch somehow so the luggage separator does not have to be in place for the top to work? Maybe pull a fuse or something? Put a small piece of metal close to the proximity switch so it thinks the separator is in place? I'm kinda lost what to do and its almost top down weather. Thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2024, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

I imagine that the separator's metal clips are magnetized, maybe not. Check the remaining one as to whether it is in fact a magnet or simply metal clip. Then remove the separator and place two, one each side and you should be good to go.
But...if you put the top down with some th thing in the pl as ce normally used to house the top you may be in a world of hurt.
YMMV, B careful.
Wj

Old 05-24-2024, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMeaney
Hi All, the lugs on my luggage separator are broken off
How does that happen?
Originally Posted by JohnMeaney
Put a small piece of metal close to the proximity switch so it thinks the separator is in place?
Yes. Left side, IIRC.