XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Lumbar Support Deflating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lumbar Support Deflating

Haven’t tested the passenger side, but the lumbar support is deflating slowly pretty much right after I inflate it all the way or inflate it at all. It doesn’t deflate entirely unless I adjust it to minimal inflation. It deflates within 30 seconds or so after I inflate it. Also the memory setting to recall my preference of it inflating does nothing. Any thoughts? I feel like if it was just a leak, then it wouldn’t also be not recalling it to inflate. It does inflate all the way if I do it manually with the adjuster. But it won’t stay inflated. I haven’t tried the side bolsters but I think they have stayed. Everything else works on the seat.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:29 AM
Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaaaaaag
Haven’t tested the passenger side, but the lumbar support is deflating slowly pretty much right after I inflate it all the way or inflate it at all. It doesn’t deflate entirely unless I adjust it to minimal inflation. It deflates within 30 seconds or so after I inflate it. Also the memory setting to recall my preference of it inflating does nothing. Any thoughts? I feel like if it was just a leak, then it wouldn’t also be not recalling it to inflate. It does inflate all the way if I do it manually with the adjuster. But it won’t stay inflated. I haven’t tried the side bolsters but I think they have stayed. Everything else works on the seat.
Spitballing... Almost sounds like the memory setting for that lumbar specifically is saved in that low-deflate position. And it's just constantly triggering the memory. Maybe try inflating it and then saving to a different memory profile (maybe Profile 3, for example)? If that doesn't work, I wonder if a hard reset of the electrical system, then resetting the seat memory positions to a fresh profile would work? I agree that it doesn't sound like a leak, with everything you described.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:30 AM
Received 244 Likes on 126 Posts

But if it was a leak, the memory would think it was still inflated and would take no action...?

Old 09-16-2023, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by justinhill
But if it was a leak, the memory would think it was still inflated and would take no action...?
Sorry if I wrote my response in a confusing way. What I'm saying is maybe the memory value for the lumbar is actually stuck at a lower setting, and for some reason the "activate" memory function just keeps triggering. Bottom line: the details from the original post seem like an electrical issue related to the seat settings or memory settings, as opposed to a leak. The original post says that the lumbar bladder doesn't seem to deflate completely. Seems like it would if there were a leak.

All that said, I've never opened up the seat to look at the components like the lumbar bladder, so maybe there is a mechanical reason at the heart of things.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bgpenguin21
Sorry if I wrote my response in a confusing way. What I'm saying is maybe the memory value for the lumbar is actually stuck at a lower setting, and for some reason the "activate" memory function just keeps triggering. Bottom line: the details from the original post seem like an electrical issue related to the seat settings or memory settings, as opposed to a leak. The original post says that the lumbar bladder doesn't seem to deflate completely. Seems like it would if there were a leak.

All that said, I've never opened up the seat to look at the components like the lumbar bladder, so maybe there is a mechanical reason at the heart of things.

correct. I appreciate you’re suggestion tips and am going to try them. Yes it’s basically like if 3/3 was entirely inflated (about to burst) and 0/3 was completely deflated like your lumbar is hunch-backing and getting sucked into the seat almost, mine seems to go to a solid 1/3 and remain there for good. If I then go and try to deflate it further, I will hear that hissing noise and the lumbar will go all the way to 0/3.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:51 PM

If there's anything I've learned in the short time that I've been on this forum, it's that these cars are overall mechanically reliable if you take care of them. Buuuuuut... they also seem to have a good number of electrical gremlins that manifest themselves in some crazy ways.

Update us on what you discover.

Old 09-16-2023, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bgpenguin21
If there's anything I've learned in the short time that I've been on this forum, it's that these cars are overall mechanically reliable if you take care of them. Buuuuuut... they also seem to have a good number of electrical gremlins that manifest themselves in some crazy ways.

Update us on what you discover.
Will do thank you. Yup I did some research before getting one, and that’s exactly what the general consensus seemed to be regarding mechanical vs random electrical reliability haha.

The following users liked this post:
bgpenguin21 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 11:00 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Im not sure how the Jaguar system works but on my Mercedes if the ecu picks up that the pump is running too long due to a leak, it will shut the pump off until the next key cycle .

Old 09-18-2023, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

OK everyone stop saying leak and bladder.....

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
bgpenguin21 (09-18-2023), McJag222 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
OK everyone stop saying leak and bladder.....
I had a stent from my kidneys to my bladder. Does that count? It was to get the backed-up infected kidney juice out of my ureter.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
bgpenguin21 (09-18-2023), McJag222 (09-18-2023), Sean W (09-18-2023)