XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Main screen not booting up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 01:42 AM
Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Main screen not booting up

Hi I'm having an issue with the Main screen not coming on when the car is started, all I get is the Jaguar logo on the screen and no heater or audio controls, no amount of button pressing will bring it back on.
Turning off the car and locking it up will bring it back on next opening cycle but the issue does seem to be getting worse/more frequent. When the system does boot up it works absolutely fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks Ian

Old 01-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Received 340 Likes on 207 Posts

Could be your battery is low or failing. Fully charge it so at least 12.6 volts when measured with a voltmeter. I would also have it load tested.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,376 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Usually the battery’s the culprit but in some cases failing screens are to blame. Easy enough to test the battery for proper charge and capacity.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with other comments...Start with the battery.

I just went through this very thing in the last few weeks. The screen got stuck on the logo ever so often after start up. Then it got more frequent. If the radio or CD was playing before I shut it down, it would be playing when I started and now way of stopping it, changing volume etc.
Then finally the car started to have starting problems if I didn't drive it for a day or two.
I changed the battery last weekend and everything is normal again.

So, in my case the symptom was an early warning sign of battery fail.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I have had similar problems, but I have discovered that the connections to my bluetooth module (especially the pin one) are loose, and when I replug it in more securely, i get full function of the screen (except for bluetooth use as it's not working). When I unplug the bluetooth module in the trunk next to the battery, the screen is completely black and non-functional. I think bluetooth module is located in a different area on your car, but you might want to check connections.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:08 AM

Many thanks for the replies, the battery was replaced last year and is still in good condition according to my voltmeter. The bluetooth module failure is interesting as bluetooth phone connection packed in a couple of weeks ago so maybe there is some issue there. Car was fine today all working well.
Thanks again

Old 01-25-2022, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,296 Likes on 3,456 Posts

Here's the poor man's battery tester, no voltmeter required.

Before starting the engine (and with your foot off the brake pedal), turn the headlights on high beams and then count to 15. Then press the START button and put your foot on the brake pedal. If it starts right up, your battery is good.

Otherwise, it's not so good.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-29-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,244 Likes on 2,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitjag
Many thanks for the replies, the battery was replaced last year and is still in good condition according to my voltmeter. The bluetooth module failure is interesting as bluetooth phone connection packed in a couple of weeks ago so maybe there is some issue there. Car was fine today all working well.
Thanks again
12.6 volts resting? Anything less is not good. Please post. As to the BT module. If you suspect it, you can bypass it using these loops. No need to unplug the unit, just disconnect the FO cable and loop this in.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-26-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks again
My battery was only a year old before it failed and gave me these symptoms.
The auto chain store that sold it to me last year pointed out it was not a common sale and a big battery.
When I had it checked last week, it actually tested as "Good", but they did point out it was a 2016 battery! So, the orginal seller had sold me five-year old stock! I put a new one in and it's like a new car!

Had a similar problem on my Suburban a few years back. Brand new battery and I had starting problems. It even kept testing good. It was so bad, I even started carrying a spare around to jump start because I couldn't guarantee it would start after standing at work for a few hours. Finally, I stopped blaming the car and switched the battery. No problem after that.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,363 Posts

On my 2007 XK the first battery failure symptom was at a fuel stop after 40 minutes of highway driving. The engine simply did not start - cranked but no start. After a 10 minute wait it started. Being very aware of the random symptoms of battery failure, I opted to put in a new and correct battery. When the battery was presented to me at the counter I asked the clerk if it was fully charged; he said it was. Seeing my doubting expression, he pulled up a battery condition analyser. The printout read GOOD.
Uh huh…..I took the battery home, put it on the CTEK maintainer before installing it and it took almost 36 hours until the battery was at full charge…so much for the concept of “ battery reads good” that we so often hear.
Oh … and with the new and now fully charged battery installed, there have been no electrical issues - none- with the car for the past 4.5 years (and no issues of any other kind either…hmmm….now that I think of it, until that fuel stop incident the car had never had any issues).
New batteries are almost NEVER fully charged at installation.

The following 4 users liked this post by sov211:
Cee Jay (01-26-2022), ralphwg (01-29-2022), Sean W (01-26-2022), V7Sport (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:14 PM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
On my 2007 XK the first battery failure symptom was at a fuel stop after 40 minutes of highway driving. The engine simply did not start - cranked but no start. After a 10 minute wait it started. Being very aware of the random symptoms of battery failure, I opted to put in a new and correct battery. When the battery was presented to me at the counter I asked the clerk if it was fully charged; he said it was. Seeing my doubting expression, he pulled up a battery condition analyser. The printout read GOOD.
Uh huh…..I took the battery home, put it on the CTEK maintainer before installing it and it took almost 36 hours until the battery was at full charge…so much for the concept of “ battery reads good” that we so often hear.
Oh … and with the new and now fully charged battery installed, there have been no electrical issues - none- with the car for the past 4.5 years (and no issues of any other kind either…hmmm….now that I think of it, until that fuel stop incident the car had never had any issues).
New batteries are almost NEVER fully charged at installation.
Same here. Bought a new battery at NAPA put it on the charger overnight. Next morning....12.2v. Looked at the date and it was 3 years old. Guy behind the counter started to get out his battery tester and I told him to look at the date. 'Yea, I should have never sold you that battery.' Came back with one that was made 3 months ago. All good.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-29-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 11:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again
Just resurrecting this thread to see if you got your problem resolved and if so, how. Just that exactly the same thing has happened to me 3 times now.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:16 AM

Hi Sorry I can't help you on this one as I sold the car and bought an XKR. Looking at similar posts it does seem to be a recurring problem as the electronics age. I believe the screen out of an XF is a direct swap and is significantly cheaper. Hope you get it sorted.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheers mate

Old 10-26-2022, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,376 Likes on 1,488 Posts

If you’ve done all to eliminate any possibility of battery issues, then it’s likely one of the few with a failing screen. Search for some of the other threads and yes certain XF screens can be compatible.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:22 PM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

i had this problem when my ipod connector was loose. unplugged it and closed/locked the car to shut off electronics, then opened it back up and started the car first. everything back to normal.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:25 AM
Received 695 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine does this when the temps start dropping in the fall. If I turn on the radio before touching the start button, it mostly always boots.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:16 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 784 Posts

if batteries are ill affected by cool temperatures…. typically this is a warning that the battery is failing.
I live in an area where it drops to -40 on occasion. Only a battery in top notch condition can handle that.
The screen is fine in the cold.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,244 Likes on 2,374 Posts

These are the possibilities and there aren't many:

Bad or failing battery-easy check
Bad or failing module within the Fiber optic loop-easy check with a bypass loop - no SDD required - most common failure is the BT module, satellite module, less so, Nav module.
Bad or failing touchscreen itself- not common, plug and play replacement with same.