XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Maintenance records

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Interestingly, at least in the UK, Jaguar have started putting service data online for cars built from June '13 onwards. I assume this is only accessible to the owner, but at least there is a repository which should, in theory, be available to subsequent owners. I don't know what level of detail would be available, and it obviously won't show any non-dealer work that gets done, but better than nothing.

I actually wrote to the previous owner of my car (name & address shown on the registration docs.) to ask if he'd ever experienced any issues or had any out-of-the-ordinary warranty work done. He kindly replied by email and told me the car has been hassle-free, which was good to know. Of course, I'd already bought it, but it might have highlighted areas to watch closely during the remaining warranty.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Interestingly, at least in the UK, Jaguar have started putting service data online for cars built from June '13 onwards. I assume this is only accessible to the owner, but at least there is a repository which should, in theory, be available to subsequent owners. I don't know what level of detail would be available, and it obviously won't show any non-dealer work that gets done, but better than nothing.

I actually wrote to the previous owner of my car (name & address shown on the registration docs.) to ask if he'd ever experienced any issues or had any out-of-the-ordinary warranty work done. He kindly replied by email and told me the car has been hassle-free, which was good to know. Of course, I'd already bought it, but it might have highlighted areas to watch closely during the remaining warranty.
Contacting the previous owners was a smart idea.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Warranty can only be denied if the lack of scheduled maintenance contributes directly to the failure. IOW- if the brake fluid wasn't changed (2 year interval) and the radiator springs a leak- there's no connection.
Interesting that you mention brake fluid. That seems to be one of those things that nobody actually does, but it is probably a good idea to do it to keep moisture out of your brake system. I'm behind on the brake fluid changing on all three of our cars!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The two year interval is a carry-over from the 1950's. I strongly believe it's no longer appropriate but get beat up each time the subject comes up.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I would first start with a CarFax report as most Jaguar dealers here in the USA will report service reports to CarFax. If you have ever had your Jag serviced, I am sure that your service provider (bonafide Jaguar Dealership Service Department or other brand dealership) will attest that they do in fact report to Carfax.

Slightly off-topic but I read where many dealers (of any/all brands) never realized the service records were going to CarFax.

In the USA there are two primary vendors for dealer computer systems/operating systems/software, Reynolds and Reynolds and ADP. ADP, apparently, automatically sent dealer service records to Carfax unless the dealer actively "opted out" when contracts were signed or re-upped. It was apparently something that ADP just sorta "slipped in" and often made no mention of. They'd go into dealer systems (remotely, of course) and grab the info every week. Some of the dealers were very unhappy.

All the dealers I ever worked for were on Reynolds and Reynolds and the subject never came up and service records were never reported. I think the agreement was exclusively between ADP and Carfax.

Things may have changed in the last few years; I dunno.

The older the service records are, the most likely probability is that the data may have been eliminated from their computer systems. I have been told look back on computer data is about 3 years.

On Reynolds systems (I'm sure other systems as well) the dealer can customize how long service history for any VIN is kept. You had "summary history" and "detail history" and could set different parameters for each and tie it in with how much activity a VIN has.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

After I bought my 2009 XKR in May 2013, I took it to the dealer within a month for an oil change, filter and multi check inspection.

Then about 2 weeks later I looked at the CarFax and sure enough the vehicle registration, and service for the oil change from the Jaguar dealer showed up on the Carfax report. So it appears that Doug above is correct, on the reporting and can only assume the Jag dealer must be linked up with ADP (Automatic Data Processing).