XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
Exactly! Keep the TCM and emulate the discrete inputs to the TCM.
There are programmable microcontrollers that can be used to accomplish the emulation(s).
It may be useful to mount switches on the shift linkage. Even maual transmissions monitor reverse for backup lights.
This is doable. The talent needed is here on this forum. We just need to work together.

Best regards,
Bill
The end result isn't worth the time and effort. Not by a long shot.
Not according to ME anyway. The cost would be in excess of a new car, and the effort would be tremendous. Effort which could be used to do something else that would have more dramatic end results on something else.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Not to mention a slower car . ^^^

In Australia we have ford performance vehicles that use the Barra and Miami engines they come either in manual or automatic being the zfhp6 (same box as Jag) the automatic is a far far superior vehicle with quicker times .

Take a look at fpv 310 actually very similar hp, torque and 1/4 mile times to our xkr (4.2)

Old 04-27-2020, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There is clearly VERY LITTLE REAL demand because otherwise someone would have paid to have this done by now.

I do not really believe anyone on here is going to spend either the money (see previous sentence) or the time (if they have the talent and realistically almost no-one has).

It's a dream that this will happen at affordable cost - it won't. It also isn't going to happen in actuality any other way than money, lots of it.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Not to mention a slower car . ^^^

In Australia we have ford performance vehicles that use the Barra and Miami engines they come either in manual or automatic being the zfhp6 (same box as Jag) the automatic is a far far superior vehicle with quicker times .

Take a look at fpv 310 actually very similar hp, torque and 1/4 mile times to our xkr (4.2)
The only possible performance benefit to a manual conversion would perhaps be on a road course where holding gears in corners and quick shift response may improve lap times.

The following users liked this post:
steve_k_xk (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Climbing Everest, anyone?

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The end result isn't worth the time and effort. Not by a long shot.
Not according to ME anyway. The cost would be in excess of a new car, and the effort would be tremendous. Effort which could be used to do something else that would have more dramatic end results on something else.
Cee Jay, et al:

You have once again diverted the technical conversation to one of perceived practicality.
Obliging briefly: Why did Sir Edmund Percival Hillary climb Everest? Heck, I don't know. It was his thing.
Personally, a MT XK is not about racing. It is about the joy of feeling one with the car.
A MT enthusiast said: "If it's not a manual transmission, you're not really driving".
If you can relate to what he said, you understand. If not, that's OK.
Concession: Time and money directed toward an XK manual conversion could be better utilized to purchase an alternative MT vehicle, etc.
Your values and opinions are appreciated and respected.

However, if we may return to the technical discussion. Please consider it a mental exercise.

There are three basic segments to the problem:
1. Transmission (including flywheel and pressure-plate) with shifter and associated linkage.
2. Pedal box (Clutch and brake)
3. Transmission Control Module (emulation)

Basic assumption: The NA 5.0L at 385HP is readily available and sufficient power for the purpose.
SC at 525 HP will hasten the demise of the transmission and clutch.

Transmission:
By observation, a transmission used in the ford mustang V6 appears to be the same configuration as the Jag 5.0L.
Assume a donor unit complete with shifter. A place to start investigating since the S-Type diesel MT is not available in the US.
(also, S-Type would be a 4.2L, different mate pattern.)
The F-Type V-6 MT is a natural candidate but they are scarce and tend to be expensive.
Flywheel to crankshaft mating dimensions and bolt pattern?
Bearing or bushing in the crankshaft to accept transmission input shaft?
Clutch slave/bearing: will the one associated with the donor transmission work?

Pedal Box:
More later.

Transmission Control Module:
TCM is addressed in the workshop manual.
More later.

Best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 04-27-2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add/correct
Old 04-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Cee Jay, et al:

You have once again diverted the technical conversation to one of perceived practicality.
Obliging briefly: Why did Sir Edmund Percival Hillary climb Everest? Heck, I don't know. It was his thing.

You must technically ask, why would someone go out of their way to pour cold water on a 'dream'?
That is his thing, Thats how they get to Everest and beyond.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Cee Jay, et al:

Personally, a MT XK is not about racing. It is about the joy of feeling one with the car.
A MT enthusiast said: "If it's not a manual transmission, you're not really driving".
If you can relate to what he said, you understand. If not, that's OK.
Concession: Time and money directed toward an XK manual conversion could be better utilized to purchase an alternative MT vehicle, etc.
Your values and opinions are appreciated and respected.

However, if we may return to the technical discussion. Please consider it a mental exercise.

There are three basic segments to the problem:
1. Transmission (including flywheel and pressure-plate) with shifter and associated linkage.
2. Pedal box (Clutch and brake)
3. Transmission Control Module (emulation)

Basic assumption: The NA 5.0L at 385HP is readily available and sufficient power for the purpose.
SC at 525 HP will hasten the demise of the transmission and clutch.

Transmission:
By observation, a transmission used in the ford mustang V6 appears to be the same configuration as the Jag 5.0L.
Assume a donor unit complete with shifter. A place to start investigating since the S-Type diesel MT is not available in the US.
(also, S-Type would be a 4.2L, different mate pattern.)
The F-Type V-6 MT is a natural candidate but they are scarce and tend to be expensive.
Flywheel to crankshaft mating dimensions and bolt pattern?
Bearing or bushing in the crankshaft to accept transmission input shaft?
Clutch slave/bearing: will the one associated with the donor transmission work?

Pedal Box:
More later.

Transmission Control Module:
TCM is addressed in the workshop manual.
More later.

Best regards,
Bill
Yeah, you forgot to remember the part where I said "Not according to ME anyway". Hellz, dude, I put a stroked/bored Big Block in a Mustang II, just because I wanted to do it. It was a MAJOR pain in the *** and took a couple years off & on to get it to fit, run, not break and totally whoop-***. SHOULD I have done it? Probably not, financially and effort-wise..... but I did it anyway. BUT, I didn't destroy a $30,000 car in the process.

steve_k_xk (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:29 PM

Cee Jay,

Thank you for the wisdom of your experience. You would not do the big engine mustang II again.
Would you please share some of the technical knowledge gained?

For those who would like to look further into emulating the transmission control module,
A TCM pin - out is contained in http://www.mediafire.com/file/o68fau...F26HP.pdf/file

Thanks for any help in this mental exercise.
(That just might become reality.)

best regards,
Bill

Old 04-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

My largest gain from doing that mess was to Overbuild Everything and Do Not Skimp, do it Right the first time, and Anything CAN be overcome. Of course, the Cost and Work of overcoming an obstacle may be more than the whole. Sometimes. Maybe. Man though, I sure do love mashing the Skinny Pedal on that thing and have the front come up and my head pushed back into the seat...........

Bill400 (04-27-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Since, Jaguar is not cooperative and Federal rules discourage mods to the ECM, retain the TCM and emulate the discrete inputs.
Information about the transmission functions is available from sources other than Jaguar. possibly from ZF or the other vehicle manufacturers using the same or similar automatic transmissions.

Maybe a discussion about the ZF TCM inputs/outputs?
This seems like an interesting avenue. Something to spoof the ecm into thinking the TCM is still there and just in neutral? I don't have an x150 but an x200 with a 4.2 that I'm in process of swapping the diesel ZF s6-53 box into. Seems that TCM interface is the biggest hurdle. I'm used to the audi and GM world. Both of which you can just remove the TCM and code for manual trans. Jag is a bit more disappointing.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

I assume that this thread has already been viewed?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-139328/

wj

Old 05-09-2020, 01:31 AM
Default Successful X100 MT conversion

Originally Posted by wymjym
I assume that this thread has already been viewed?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-139328/

wj
Thank you for the U-Tube video. Quite interesting and appropriate to the conversation.
Jaguar Specialties did discuss a successful X100 MT conversion at post #136.
Also, Tijoe discusses requirements for "spoofing" the TCM beginning with Post #102.

However, rather than emulate the TCM, it may be easier to retain the TCM and emulate the discrete inputs to the TCM provided by the transmission.

Best regards,
Bill

Old 05-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts
Default X100 Manual

My father and i converted a 4.0litre N.A to manual.
Using the above mentioned 6 speed gearbox.
XJS manual pedal box. Flex plate with flywheel machined to take a Mcloed clutch.
Elite Jaguar did a piggy back control module that fooled the ECM into thinking it was still manual.
I could clear all fault codes with WDS/IDS.
Dash was clear of all warning lights.
Datalogger worked.
The car was set up for track/circuit use.
we never used it in anger, sold it onto someone else.
Not sure what's happening with it.

I've put a 6 spead gearbox on the back of an XKR 4.0.
Will be running stand alone ECM as the engine is in my XJS race car.

mosesbotbol (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'm adding this out of ignorance but in the CCF for the X150, there is an option to change the transmission from automatic to manual. I have no idea what would happen if this was tried.

Cee Jay (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Default A few pics

Originally Posted by melhookv12
My father and i converted a 4.0litre N.A to manual.
Using the above mentioned 6 speed gearbox.
XJS manual pedal box. Flex plate with flywheel machined to take a Mcloed clutch.
Elite Jaguar did a piggy back control module that fooled the ECM into thinking it was still manual.
I could clear all fault codes with WDS/IDS.
Dash was clear of all warning lights.
Datalogger worked.
The car was set up for track/circuit use.
we never used it in anger, sold it onto someone else.
Not sure what's happening with it.

I've put a 6 spead gearbox on the back of an XKR 4.0.
Will be running stand alone ECM as the engine is in my XJS race car.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM
Default A few pics

😀

Old 06-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I see the thread is still somewhat going.

I would still like to do this and since a X100 turned out to be not any simpler, since Norman who used to make the black boxes passed away, a X150 manual is still something I fancy.

The thing about the suggestion to just get a Vantage is that a Vantage costs about the double of the X150 in most places of the world too. Apart from not really being the same as the X150.

Anyway, what resurrected my fire for this is that I found a X150 with transmission failure and without an engine for a very good price. I then searched and found a wrecked Corvette. This of course gave me ideas. Since the Jaguar engine is a clear no go and believe me, I would love to keep the Jaguar engine. But it is not working. So what if I transplanted the whole Corvette drive train? Since I would have the whole donor car, any systems could be moved over if necessary.

I even looked at finding a wrecked mustang, to keep it in the family since the Jag V8 is related to Ford. But if I need a stand alone ECU LS is so much easier. I don't even know if you can find it for the Ford.

How doable is that then? Probably much cheaper than trying to mess with the jaguar software I would think. Might be just the price of the 2 cars plus my labor.

What would need to be moved over to have a functional car with the basic safety features etc?

I know purists won't like this, but I guess we are way pass that by now.

I don't even care if the car will be slower or any of that. I only care that it would be much more fun and involving to drive. This is my reason.

If I could pull this off I would probably even sell the Maserati. I feel like the X150 will be easier and cheaper to run, specially with a LS engine. I also somehow few it would make a better daily if I want that.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

You could absolutely do this, but keep in mind the rest of the car is not going to work with the GM drive train.

MikeV8 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

In the scheme of things the installation of the GM engine and transmission would not be to big of a problem. Have to work out clutch peddle asm. but can be done. Would need to either modify or get a new wire harness and use the Corvette ECM. Should be a lot of hot rod stuff available for the GM conversion. Now the tough part. I suspect you would need to replace the instrument package and then have to figure out how to make the infotainment system work. You need to remember that everything in the Jag talks to the ECM so you have to find out what signals are used and how to fool them. If you were just building a race car this would not be an issue as you would most likely rip out the dash board and fab up gauges that you would need. Easy to interface with the Corvette engine sensors. So give it a go and let us know how you make out. I've done maybe a half dozen conversions on Jags with the last on an XJS. It was fun and worked out pretty well.

MikeV8 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Do it the other way.... buy a C7 Corvette and change all the body panels from Vette to Jag.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
jahummer (06-11-2020), ralphwg (06-11-2020), steve_k_xk (06-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?