XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Tony @ RSR in Michigan would probably be your best bet. Besides building full blown race cars for Jaguar, they also took a street version of the XKR and made a non-race track car with a manual conversion. And there is little relation to Ford, especially in the drivetrain.

EDIT:

see these

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fitted-153939/

Last edited by jahummer; 11-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Labor is cheap when it's your own.
I forgot to throw in the $20k for the original car.
$20k for the parts and SOME expert labor for some difficult areas.
$20k for the original car.
$150k for labor (at MY rates, not anyone else's)

between $40k and $190k spent, and you still have a $20k car.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (11-20-2019), mosesbotbol (11-29-2019), SinF (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Labor is cheap when it's your own.
I forgot to throw in the $20k for the original car.
$20k for the parts and SOME expert labor for some difficult areas.
$20k for the original car.
$150k for labor (at MY rates, not anyone else's)

between $40k and $190k spent, and you still have a $20k car.
I can't see where 190K could go. Sorry, but I think this is a bit pessimistic. Yes, the mechanic swap I would do myself. I would only need help to figure the electronics. If that will cost $170K I think I'm in the wrong business and will open a car shop.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Tony @ RSR in Michigan would probably be your best bet. Besides building full blown race cars for Jaguar, they also took a street version of the XKR and made a non-race track car with a manual conversion. And there is little relation to Ford, especially in the drivetrain.

EDIT:

see these

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fitted-153939/

Thanks for the link. That thread seems optimistic about it. A good thing.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeV8
I can't see where 190K could go. Sorry, but I think this is a bit pessimistic. Yes, the mechanic swap I would do myself. I would only need help to figure the electronics. If that will cost $170K I think I'm in the wrong business and will open a car shop.
Clearly you didn't read where I said "MY LABOR RATES". I am NOT cheap, at all. My time is way more valuable than that. I can make a whole hell of a lot of money by 'working' for 100 hours, and putting 100 hours (at least) into the Trans Swap would result in overall deficit, so it's not something I personally would do.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I would like a beautifully designed RWD coupe with a big engine and a manual transmission. Something that feels special. A keeper.
F-type between 2016 and 2018 can be purchased with a MT.

The F-Type is a V6.
If 380Hp is somehow not enough for you, with a tune and pulley you can hit 450.

Last edited by SinF; 11-20-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Here is MikeV8s next car:

Old 11-21-2019, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Clearly you didn't read where I said "MY LABOR RATES". I am NOT cheap, at all. My time is way more valuable than that. I can make a whole hell of a lot of money by 'working' for 100 hours, and putting 100 hours (at least) into the Trans Swap would result in overall deficit, so it's not something I personally would do.
Okay.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
F-type between 2016 and 2018 can be purchased with a MT.

If 380Hp is somehow not enough for you, with a tune and pulley you can hit 450.
Yes, a V6 F-type is the easy way out of this. And as I have said I considered it for a long time. And it's not about the power. 450bhp would be fine. It's about the whole package. The V6 F-type is run of the mill. A V6 is not as special and doesn't sound as good as a V8. Well, that V6 at least doesn't. Also because the V6 is the cheapest F-type, it's the most common. And as it's the current model it's also more common in general. Maybe in the UK you see more X100 or X150 cars. But I would think anywhere else a F-type is more run of the mill in daily life. Now if they had made a F-type V8 with a manual we wouldn't be having this conversation. Although the F-type still needs a few years to attain that classic feel. It's beautiful. But not there yet in the special department because it's current.

If the X150 is indeed not feasible, maybe I could just settled for a late model XKR X100. It seems with those there are no problems with a manual transmission swap. There seems to be even a kit available for the transmission swap. The X100 is another timeless beauty. In many ways I prefer that shape than the X150. It's more rounded. More reminiscent of the E-type. The engine is plenty powerful with 400 bhp. But I'm sure it can be boosted for more. But the power is not the most important. And 400 is plenty for road use.

When it comes to the X150 vs X100 it's an interesting irony for me. The part I dislike on the X150 the most is the front end. The part I dislike the most on the X100 is the rear end. The general shape I go back and forth. X100 is more classic beauty. Has that retro e-type feel. X150 is more Aston like. Very similar shape to Callum's Astons.

The X150 is the more modern platform. Comes with advantages and disadvantages because of that. The main reason though I started looking at it over the X100 is because it's newer and because it's way easier to change the X150 front than to change the X100 rear. With the facelift X150, a different bumper already does wonders. But the rear of the X100 I have never seen any changes that looked good. The taillights replacement from Arden look chavy. There doesn't seem to be any other options. And you can't make that rear end shorter.

But besides that the X100 is beautiful and if the X150 turns out to be nearly impossible to crack, I'm inclined to go with a X100 manual over a V6 F-type. Am I crazy?

Old 11-21-2019, 03:31 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeV8;2156819]
Only Aston option would be 2005 generation V8 Vantage. Any other Aston as old or newer seems to be automatic only. I don't fancy something older like a DB7./QUOTE]

Is that the case in the US? I took a quick look in Germany and Mobile.de threw up manual Astons right up to current model and 1/4 million price tags. Seems to be some choice here at least.

There is no way I would want a converted manual X100 over an factory manual Aston. Actually, I just wouldn't want an X100 as a drivers car. Also, if you want to keep it for ever, the nearer standard will probably mean a better supply of parts in case you need something uncommon. I understand wanting to do something unique but I can't see it being worth it when there are such good cars out there.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:01 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I will do a manual conversion on a 4.2L X150 XKR for $24'000 USD.
A single overdrive Tremec TR-3160 six-speed, same like the Shelby GT350.
You will need to pay the shipping costs to get the car to & from Australia and the Carnet de Passage.
It will take 8-12 weeks to complete once it's here.
50% deposit up front, balance payable once completed.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:11 AM

[QUOTE=neilr;2157133]
Only Aston option would be 2005 generation V8 Vantage. Any other Aston as old or newer seems to be automatic only. I don't fancy something older like a DB7./QUOTE]

Is that the case in the US? I took a quick look in Germany and Mobile.de threw up manual Astons right up to current model and 1/4 million price tags. Seems to be some choice here at least.

There is no way I would want a converted manual X100 over an factory manual Aston. Actually, I just wouldn't want an X100 as a drivers car. Also, if you want to keep it for ever, the nearer standard will probably mean a better supply of parts in case you need something uncommon. I understand wanting to do something unique but I can't see it being worth it when there are such good cars out there.
Which manual Astons you mean? I did say it needed to be within affordability though. A couple of hundred thousand is not what most would call affordable. In that range there is only the V8 Vantage and if you luck out the DB9. Both of which I already mentioned. Both have the very same style, which I'm just not in love with. Between both, since the Vantage is lighter and more agile, I would just take the Vantage. It's also normally cheaper and easier to find in manual. Style wise they are basically the same car. Neither floats my boat sort of speaking.

What's wrong with the X100 as a driver's car? To me the only thing wrong in that respect is exactly that it doesn't have a manual. But in my opinion a XKR 100 is a lot more fun and a better car and driver's car than for example a DB7, which costs more just because of the Aston badge. Granted the 2005 generation V8 Vantage is a better driver's car. But it's hard to say how that comparison would be if the X100 had a manual and a LSD at the rear. With a suspension tuned up, I'm not sure it would leave anything to be desired compared to a Vantage. I remember both Top Gear and Fifth Gear giving raving reviews when they drove the X100 manual prototype Jaguar had and Aston made sure to ask Ford to kill.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I will do a manual conversion on a 4.2L X150 XKR for $24'000 USD.
A single overdrive Tremec TR-3160 six-speed, same like the Shelby GT350.
You will need to pay the shipping costs to get the car to & from Australia and the Carnet de Passage.
It will take 8-12 weeks to complete once it's here.
50% deposit up front, balance payable once completed.
Interesting proposal, complicated by the Australian shipping.

So you are basically saying it's fully possible and you have done it before, since you can give a solid price quote?

The car works normally after the conversion? Or any thing is lacking? Any warning lights on?

Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Interesting proposal, complicated by the Australian shipping.

So you are basically saying it's fully possible and you have done it before, since you can give a solid price quote?

The car works normally after the conversion? Or any thing is lacking? Any warning lights on?
Can't help the geography i'm afraid....

No it hasn't been done, because until now nobody was willing to put up the money for the conversion.
But the research and planning of how to do it has been made, hence the cost proposal.
The transmission itself, and the flywheel, clutch, pedal box, hydraulics, wiring changes, shifter & aesthetics like the gearknob are no problem.
The largest portion of the costs is related to custom software for the Engine Control Module, Instrument Cluster and ABS/DSC system.

Yes it would be a fully functional vehicle, no warning lights or things not working.

Aston Martin Works will convert a Vanquish from auto to manual for around 15'000 GBP, and you have to ship the car to them. they have done dozens and dozens of these conversions over the years.
When Norman Durban was still alive and he was doing the manual conversions on the X100's with Tom Lenthall it was a similar cost. Of course I would like to charge more but you have to draw the line somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Can't help the geography i'm afraid....

No it hasn't been done, because until now nobody was willing to put up the money for the conversion.
But the research and planning of how to do it has been made, hence the cost proposal.
The transmission itself, and the flywheel, clutch, pedal box, hydraulics, wiring changes, shifter & aesthetics like the gearknob are no problem.
The largest portion of the costs is related to custom software for the Engine Control Module, Instrument Cluster and ABS/DSC system.

Yes it would be a fully functional vehicle, no warning lights or things not working.

Aston Martin Works will convert a Vanquish from auto to manual for around 15'000 GBP, and you have to ship the car to them. they have done dozens and dozens of these conversions over the years.
When Norman Durban was still alive and he was doing the manual conversions on the X100's with Tom Lenthall it was a similar cost. Of course I would like to charge more but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Ok, sounds good. And your company of course has references etc of similar done jobs?

But this sounds interesting enough. Shall we take it to a PM conversation?

P.S. I didn't know Aston was doing this. Or is this an independent company? Anyways, this seems to be a growing trend. There is also a company in Texas which converts automatic Ferraris to manual, using original Ferrari parts. So many great cars which have been released in automatic only and could be enthusiast cars out there. There is sure a market for such conversions. Especially now that manuals are rare and used manuals usually sell for more than the autos. DB7 GT manual is considerably more. Ferrari 599 manual (only 30 made) sell for A LOT more etc.

Last edited by MikeV8; 11-21-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeV8;2157145]
Originally Posted by neilr
What's wrong with the X100 as a driver's car? To me the only thing wrong in that respect is exactly that it doesn't have a manual. But in my opinion a XKR 100 is a lot more fun and a better car and driver's car than for example a DB7, which costs more just because of the Aston badge.
Well the X100 and the DB7 have a lot in common both having XJS derived chassis

The X100, while being a nice car and a fine GT, is rather soft compared to an early X150. The later X150 being tighter still. Reviews such as the following indicate the jump Jaguar made from the X100 when they released the X150. Yes, you could basically keep the body and interior of a car and change everything else and spend $30k plus doing it or you buy that X150 for the days when the automatic is fine and spend the 30 grand on a different manual V8 for those real driving days.

In Germany at the lower end of the AM market, say up to 50k Euros, there are manual Vantages and DB9s 2012 and older, so probably similar to the US. AMs are not common here though and of those autos are 4 times as common. Withing 60 miles of me, there are only 13 sub 50k AMs and only 2 are manuals. The basic shape of these AMs is rather similar to the X150s - the differences are more in the details. The X150 is a very good car, the Vantage probably the better drivers car (not driven one) and the better investment.

But if you are sold on the looks of a Jaguar, your only option is to convert one.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

The V6 F-type is run of the mill.
This is strange thing to say. What other $100K+ cars are you considering run of the mill? More so, manual transmission F-type, due to limited production run, is one of the rarest trims. There are a lot fewer V6 MT F-types than V8 F-types.

A V6 is not as special and doesn't sound as good as a V8.
While special is subjective, V6 does sound "as good as V8". More so, it 'pops' louder due to exhaust design. There is also a quicksilver exhaust to make it even louder. Or you can swap V8 resonator and valence and have it sound softer. Hilariously, Australia forced a recall of V6 due to being too loud: https://www.caradvice.com.au/805507/...e-v6-recalled/ but not V8.
Also because the V6 is the cheapest F-type, it's the most common.
There also I4. There is also V6S that has all options. There is also SVR V8. There is also V8S. There is also an R. Your "cheapest" statement shows lack of research.

But I would think anywhere else a F-type is more run of the mill in daily life.
F-type is equally rare everywhere else in the world. There is only a dozen in my 1mil+ city and mine is the only MT.

It seems with those there are no problems with a manual transmission swap.
Everything can be made fit anything with a grinder, welder and a lot of elbow grease. The question is how you define "problems". Jay Leno has a turbine-driven car, where he swapped in a helicopter engine. Casey has a batmobile with a turbine engine from a drone. To them, such swap was not a problem. I too would love to have a turbine car, but I see such project as an insurmountable problem.

Last edited by SinF; 11-21-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

The X150 is a very good car, the Vantage probably the better drivers car (not driven one) and the better investment.
I agree, with X150 conversion cost will be 100% loss on resale. I can't predict the future, but X150 is a bargain of a century right now and likely remain so for at least couple more years.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=neilr;2157223]

Well the X100 and the DB7 have a lot in common both having XJS derived chassis

The X100, while being a nice car and a fine GT, is rather soft compared to an early X150. The later X150 being tighter still. Reviews such as the following indicate the jump Jaguar made from the X100 when they released the X150. Yes, you could basically keep the body and interior of a car and change everything else and spend $30k plus doing it or you buy that X150 for the days when the automatic is fine and spend the 30 grand on a different manual V8 for those real driving days.

In Germany at the lower end of the AM market, say up to 50k Euros, there are manual Vantages and DB9s 2012 and older, so probably similar to the US. AMs are not common here though and of those autos are 4 times as common. Withing 60 miles of me, there are only 13 sub 50k AMs and only 2 are manuals. The basic shape of these AMs is rather similar to the X150s - the differences are more in the details. The X150 is a very good car, the Vantage probably the better drivers car (not driven one) and the better investment.

But if you are sold on the looks of a Jaguar, your only option is to convert one.
Yes I know DB7 and X100 share a lot. But I have heard many times the X100 is actually superior on the chassis as they did a better job. All I can say is I think the X100 drives better than a DB7. Now I never drove one of the late limited production DB7 V12 Vantage GT.

You are not going to get any arguments from me about the X150 being superior to the X100. I said so myself and that's the reason I started looking at the X150 and only brought up the X100 as a back up alternative.

But the fact it is newer also makes it harder for some other things, like the swap.

Back to Astons, yes, exactly. Vantage and DB9 is what would be feasible. Just not in love for their looks and I'm not somebody who gives to much importance to a badge. As for being the better investment, like I said I want this to be a keeper. So I'm not thinking about selling it. Because selling it in 10 years to buy what? Some EV? It's not like RWD manual transmission sports cars will make a comeback and I will have more options than now in the future.

Now to focus on something you said:

or you buy that X150 for the days when the automatic is fine and spend the 30 grand on a different manual V8 for those real driving days.
Which days the automatic would be fine?

And what different manual V8? None checking the boxes as we seen.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:56 AM

You left me no alternative but multi quote too.

This is strange thing to say. What other $100K+ cars are you considering run of the mill?
A V6 F-type costs 100K? I wasn't aware since I see used ones in the 35K range. And I also thought they stopped making the V6 manual anyways so you can't buy new.

More so, manual transmission F-type, due to limited production run, is one of the rarest trims. There are a lot fewer V6 MT F-types than V8 F-types.
Yes, it's a rare trim. Not a rare car. And the V6 is still a base model. Only now with the 2.0 we have an even lower one. But there is more above the V6 than bellow it. We have the V8, SVR etc.

While special is subjective, V6 does sound "as good as V8". More so, it 'pops' louder due to exhaust design. There is also a quicksilver exhaust to make it even louder. Or you can swap V8 resonator and valence and have it sound softer. Hilariously, Australia forced a recall of V6 due to being too loud: https://www.caradvice.com.au/805507/...e-v6-recalled/ but not V8.
Yes, to each his own. If I would buy a Mustang, I would want the V8. Ditto with Camaro. V8 and V12 is a toss, depending on the car. But V6 and V8, unless talking about something small like an Elise or Exgie, I see V8 as premium and V6 as budget. As for the sound, with the F-type, the king of fake engine sounds and pops, that's a bit of a moot point to talk about. What can I say? I want a V8. V10 or V12 would be great. But V6 is not doing it here. It could be different if it was a special V6, such as the Quadrifoglio V6, or one of the special i6 in history, etc. But in the Jaguar, the V6 is run of the mill by all means in my opinion.

There also I4. There is also V6S that has all options. There is also SVR V8. There is also V8S. There is also an R. Your "cheapest" statement shows lack of research.
Sorry I don't get you. The V8S and R are surely more expensive than any V6 F-type? So I don't understand what you are trying to say. The V6 is the cheapest, apart maybe from the 2.0. I don't know the price difference as I never even looked at the F-type 2.0.

F-type is equally rare everywhere else in the world. There is only a dozen in my 1mil+ city and mine is the only MT.
Ok fair enough. But I was more coming from the point of view that the style is beautiful but mundane at the moment. Because it's a current car. Mercedes and Audi changed their air bumper intakes, Jaguar followed suit with the F-type etc. To make it blend in. I think the X150 and even X100 just feel and look more special now, because they are getting into that classic territory. F-type needs a few more years to start feeling different and special and not just like another production car. It has loads of presence compared to normal cars. But when compared to it's peers, it looks like what it is. A car of this time and a mass produced one at that. I'm not sure if you can see where I'm coming from.

Don't get me wrong. If there was a V8 F-Type with a manual I would take that easy way out. The looks would still the same. But at least it would be an easy and great way to check the other boxes. I still prefer the looks of the F-type over the Vantage or DB9. Call me crazy. But as the V6 it just lacks something.

Everything can be made fit anything with a grinder, welder and a lot of elbow grease. The question is how you define "problems". Jay Leno has a turbine-driven car, where he swapped in a helicopter engine. Casey has a batmobile with a turbine engine from a drone. To them, such swap was not a problem. I too would love to have a turbine car, but I see such project as an insurmountable problem.
Well, Cambo has said everything will work fine in his swap. So we need to see.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?