XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Sounds like a total Ford Mustang V8 conversion would be the way the go.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:19 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Sounds like a total Ford Mustang V8 conversion would be the way the go.
What do you mean?

Old 11-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
What do you mean?
Swap a Mustang V8 engine, trans, and everything else you'd need for the project. Electric, etc...

Would that be easier than just dealing the transmission and electronics.

There's plenty of big time deals on new manual F Types. Look nationally and could walk away with big score on a new car. Service is included on new Jags too.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

MikeV8,
As an owner of both a 5.0L X150 and a 4.0L X100, the fact that you would even consider doing the swap in an X100 is astonishing! The X100 is positively frightening driven at speed on anything except straight line roads. Its ride is not supple and controlled like the X150, but more brutish and unpredictable in the curves. It is certainly beautiful, and I love mine but imho not the right car in which to put this kind of effort. Its ancient by today's standards of suspension and handling and feel, and just because it has been done and could be done, doesn't mean in should be done. Although not as "special" as a Jag, the Audi S5 (especially the older V8 ones) or RS5 represent the best manual transmission cars I have ever driven. The 6 spd manual in those cars is magical!
Good luck in your quest.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

One other suggestion...Would you ever consider a 280Z with the 5spd that came with the car and then doing the small block Chevy V8 conversion to give it real power. This is a very common conversion as I have seen dozens of them at local car events. Those cars are available inexpensively, small block Chevy motors are as plentiful as sand on the beach, the original Datsun 240-280 body style is still gorgeous over 40 years later, and that conversion is so common that help is available anywhere in the country. You'd have a classic looking, great running, front engined sports coupe at a fraction of the price that you're thinking about. (I've had my 1978Z since new, and it's sitting in my back yard awaiting its third restoration).

The following users liked this post:
guy (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
MikeV8,
As an owner of both a 5.0L X150 and a 4.0L X100, the fact that you would even consider doing the swap in an X100 is astonishing! The X100 is positively frightening driven at speed on anything except straight line roads. Its ride is not supple and controlled like the X150, but more brutish and unpredictable in the curves. It is certainly beautiful, and I love mine but imho not the right car in which to put this kind of effort. Its ancient by today's standards of suspension and handling and feel, and just because it has been done and could be done, doesn't mean in should be done. Although not as "special" as a Jag, the Audi S5 (especially the older V8 ones) or RS5 represent the best manual transmission cars I have ever driven. The 6 spd manual in those cars is magical!
Good luck in your quest.
Thanks for your continuing contribution. I can't argue with you about the reliability and supposedly high maintenance of the X100. Since I never owned one. Although some have offered counter points to yours over at the other thread, saying they don't have that same experience.

But when it comes to performance, I can offer my own counter argument, as I have some experience there. I think you are underestimating what just a simple ride height adjustment and suspension and brakes tune up/upgrade can do.

Let alone the fact that I want to go even further than just that.

Jaguar had a prototype called the XKRR, which was a X100 they converted to manual, dropped in a LSD and reworked the rear suspension. It was supposed to be a test mule. Aston would never allow them to bring it to market. Because it would kill the Aston. This prototype got rave reviews from both Clarkson and Tiff. It kept up with the V12 Aston manual on the Top Gear track and Clarkson even said he would buy the Jaguar if they would ever sell it. Because it did all the Aston did and was cheaper. I think the platform has potential.

Like I said in the other thread. Think of it this way. If Lotus could transform a budget barge into a super saloon that beat even Ferraris in the late 80s, I think the X100 is much closer to that goal as a starting point. From the point of view of 1980s tech, what they basically did was dropping a turbo and tune the heck out of the suspension. Not much else they could have done back then really.

For the record, I'm not looking for something that drives and handles like a Cayman. That's boring and if that is what I want I would buy a Cayman. They are cheap enough. The Lotus in question is a much more fun drive in my opinion. A bit of a hand full in some occasions is not even that bad. It's part of the fun too.

And please, don't ever try to push a FWD VW on me over a Jaguar again. (where's the tongue in cheek icon?)

Last edited by MikeV8; 11-29-2019 at 05:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeV8:
guy (11-30-2019), peterv8 (11-30-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 05:42 PM

One other suggestion...Would you ever consider a 280Z with the 5spd that came with the car and then doing the small block Chevy V8 conversion to give it real power. This is a very common conversion as I have seen dozens of them at local car events. Those cars are available inexpensively, small block Chevy motors are as plentiful as sand on the beach, the original Datsun 240-280 body style is still gorgeous over 40 years later, and that conversion is so common that help is available anywhere in the country. You'd have a classic looking, great running, front engined sports coupe at a fraction of the price that you're thinking about. (I've had my 1978Z since new, and it's sitting in my back yard awaiting its third restoration).
Now you are pulling my leg, right?

You say the X100 is ancient by today's standards of suspension and handling and feel, and then suggest a 1970's Datsun instead?

I know where you are coming from and the Z is a lovely car. But I think you can see the irony in talking about a 90's car being ancient by today's standards of suspension and handling and feel and then suggesting a 70's car over it. I do know of the X100-XJS platform connection by the way. But still. I guess you know what I mean.

Regardless the Datsun is just totally the wrong car.

But thanks just the same for keeping the suggestion coming.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

The Datsun handles far better than the X100 and is not as scary at speed, just like my ancient '72 Pantera handles better than the X100 and is 30 years older and is such a joy to drive at speed. I'm not saying you couldn't re-engineer an X100 from the ground up to get it to perform, but I'm saying that there are better choices and ways to spend your money than doing that.The 280Z suggestion was only half serious, but it's a V8/manual conversion/setup that's been done hundreds of times and is well documented. And the cars are beautifully done with a lot of capabilities. And you could spend the leftover thousands of dollars on upgrading the interior and adding electronics if you so desired. At the end of it, you'd have a seriously unique car that retains the original's stunning looks but has as much power as you'd care to give it.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts
mosesbotbol (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

There's always an inline 6 XJS for sale in manual. They're fun cars, as is the conversion kit for the V12 XJS which would be one hoot if a car.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

But I want to buy something to keep. Never sell. RWD, manual, internal combustion sports cars are an endangered species. I want to save something special to keep till my older days.
I've done a couple 5sp swaps, but in much older/simpler cars. It actually became popular with Toyota Supras as all the factory manual cars were beat up, abused and wrecked, but I could still find ones with automatic transmissions in good shape. And luckily, the transmission control computer was a separate module which the ecu was perfectly happy to live without. Like everyone else, I would assume its not so easy today with the X150.

However, As I was reading through tho, one thing struck me that maybe you hadn't considered. I've also been into restoring vintage Corvettes where it seems that most of the participants are over 65 years old. Every year, one or two of our local Corvette owners will arrive at the first car show of spring in a brand new C7. I'll ask, "Hey what happened to your C2? I thought I once heard you say that the last real Corvette was made in 1967 and you'd never have anything newer." The answer is always some variation on "Well, after my <hip/knee/shoulder/elbow/etc.> surgery, I found that it was painful to work the <clutch/shift lever>. I was also starting to have a hard time working on it. A new C7 with paddle shifters and a warranty was starting to sound like a pretty good idea."

I was planning to do another 5sp Supra swap, have all the parts ready, but seeing all these grey-haired old guys hobbling around the Convention Center at the NCRS meet and many even riding mobility scooters has me thinking I'm not that far away myself. If you do figure this out, I suggest to keep all the original parts and engineer it so that its reversible. When you are 80 years old and can't work that clutch anymore you could at least pay somebody to put it back instead of watching it collect dust.

MikeV8 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 02:05 AM

Swap a Mustang V8 engine, trans, and everything else you'd need for the project. Electric, etc...

Would that be easier than just dealing the transmission and electronics.
I'm not sure that is any easier to be honest. I know there is a kit to swap a LS1+manual transmission for the X100. And I heard it took a while to develop that.

Besides, I don't see the point in having a Jaguar without a Jaguar engine. An by the sound of it the Jaguar engine is reliable enough. So seems to be the car. I see no reports of constant breakdowns or buttons falling off and build quality issues as I have found with the V8 Vantage online. Seems like the running costs of the Jaguar will be affordable enough. At least not Aston high.

But if what I wanted was a Mustang, I would just buy that. At least Ford still offers a proper enthusiasts' gearbox with their performance vehicles. So that would be easy. But I'm not looking for a Ford or Chevy.

The hilarious thing is that Americans used to be trapped into autoboxes. All European cars were manuals and American cars were stuck with auto boxes. Now it seems the tables have turned. You can buy Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs V8s with manuals, as it should be. But if I want a V8 sports car from Jaguar, Mercedes etc I have to be happy with an autobox. How times change.

MarkyUK (12-03-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 AM

There's always an inline 6 XJS for sale in manual. They're fun cars, as is the conversion kit for the V12 XJS which would be one hoot if a car.
I know we are pretty much out of options. But one huge reason for not sinking money in a Vantage is because I'm not in love with the looks. In other words I don't think it's pretty enough. If I was in love I would put up with the rest.

But if the Vantage not being pretty enough is a deal breaker, a XJS...

Old 12-02-2019, 05:18 AM

The Datsun handles far better than the X100 and is not as scary at speed, just like my ancient '72 Pantera handles better than the X100 and is 30 years older and is such a joy to drive at speed. I'm not saying you couldn't re-engineer an X100 from the ground up to get it to perform, but I'm saying that there are better choices and ways to spend your money than doing that.The 280Z suggestion was only half serious, but it's a V8/manual conversion/setup that's been done hundreds of times and is well documented. And the cars are beautifully done with a lot of capabilities. And you could spend the leftover thousands of dollars on upgrading the interior and adding electronics if you so desired. At the end of it, you'd have a seriously unique car that retains the original's stunning looks but has as much power as you'd care to give it.
Probably not as scary at speed because it's slow.

And for the swapped one, I doubt very much a V8 swapped 280Z would be a balanced car.

Besides, you are the only person I'm finding who is dragging the X100 through the mud about it's performance. It got good marks for performance and handling when it came out. Nobody thought it handled like a Ferrari F40. But it was never meant to.

Having driven X100s, I'm 100% sure any problems of the nature can be sorted out with tire and wheel choice and a suspension tune up. You don't need to, as you say it, re-engineer an X100 from the ground up.

And like I said before, I'm not looking for a Lotus Elise. I doubt the X150 handles that well either. Heck the Vantage also leaves to be desired as a sports car. Especially when compared to other competitors. I don't need a track car.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
I've done a couple 5sp swaps, but in much older/simpler cars. It actually became popular with Toyota Supras as all the factory manual cars were beat up, abused and wrecked, but I could still find ones with automatic transmissions in good shape. And luckily, the transmission control computer was a separate module which the ecu was perfectly happy to live without. Like everyone else, I would assume its not so easy today with the X150.

However, As I was reading through tho, one thing struck me that maybe you hadn't considered. I've also been into restoring vintage Corvettes where it seems that most of the participants are over 65 years old. Every year, one or two of our local Corvette owners will arrive at the first car show of spring in a brand new C7. I'll ask, "Hey what happened to your C2? I thought I once heard you say that the last real Corvette was made in 1967 and you'd never have anything newer." The answer is always some variation on "Well, after my <hip/knee/shoulder/elbow/etc.> surgery, I found that it was painful to work the <clutch/shift lever>. I was also starting to have a hard time working on it. A new C7 with paddle shifters and a warranty was starting to sound like a pretty good idea."

I was planning to do another 5sp Supra swap, have all the parts ready, but seeing all these grey-haired old guys hobbling around the Convention Center at the NCRS meet and many even riding mobility scooters has me thinking I'm not that far away myself. If you do figure this out, I suggest to keep all the original parts and engineer it so that its reversible. When you are 80 years old and can't work that clutch anymore you could at least pay somebody to put it back instead of watching it collect dust.
This is very sensible and all around great advice.

I do dread the day that I might have to drive an auto not as an option but because I'm physically unable to drive a manual. Yeah, maybe when I'm 80 years old I will have to make peace with that. Just the realities of life.

But glad I still have over 40 years to get there though. By then gearboxes will most likely not even exist anymore with all cars being electric. And who knows if they will allow us to drive our "stinkers". Maybe they will have extra taxes and regulations where you can only take it out once a month. Then even at 80 I might still be able to drive a manual once a month.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Heck the Vantage also leaves to be desired as a sports car. Especially when compared to other competitors.
How so? Which cars do you consider its competitors? Have you driven the V8V?

Old 12-02-2019, 06:56 AM

How so? Which cars do you consider its competitors? Have you driven the V8V?
Yes, I have driven the V8. The V12 not. ´Wish I had. I don't know. It felt heavier and less agile than what I was expecting for being a 2-seater. From a DB9 I wouldn't expect the same. But it just felt somehow in between a GT and sports car, while I was expecting sports car. Not Elise levels but still. But I never tracked it or even drove it like crazy. It was somebody else's car. Just this one time and this was my impression. Liked the manual gearbox though.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

MikeV8,
I thought you might get a kick out of this posting on Pistonheads about a manual conversion XJS created for a television show.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=47&t=1843252
As for the handling of the X100, when I retired my X100 from its daily driving chores a few years ago in favor of my X150, I did a mini restoration of the car. All new springs, shocks, control arms, bushings, etc. to make it "feel" better.and tauter like my X150, but alas, while it corrected the front end ride height issues which all X100s get with time (as the springs get old, compress, and drop the front end an inch or more), it did little to make it more manageable. If you drive an X100 and an X150 (post 2010) back to back which I do on an almost daily basis, there is simply no comparison. Part of the differences is certainly attributable to the fact that my X100 is a convertible and the X150 a coupe, so the coupe is considerably stiffer, however, the suspension/chassis origins of the X100 are "ancient" in car years and the technology has come a long way by 2010. Having said that, I do understand having a nice GT car with a manual that you can have some fun with without track prowess, so I hope you're able to satisfy your "itch." (By the way, Pistonheads site was offline, this morning, so if you get an error code, just try it later on. I think you'll appreciate what's been done to this car.)

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
MarkyUK (12-03-2019), mosesbotbol (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I have driven the V8. The V12 not. ´Wish I had. I don't know. It felt heavier and less agile than what I was expecting for being a 2-seater. From a DB9 I wouldn't expect the same. But it just felt somehow in between a GT and sports car, while I was expecting sports car. Not Elise levels but still. But I never tracked it or even drove it like crazy. It was somebody else's car. Just this one time and this was my impression. Liked the manual gearbox though.
Interesting. I took out a Porsche Driving Instructor in my Vantage and he was beyond himself with the car. He said he had no idea they were that sporty and is contemplating selling his GT2 911 to build a track focused Vantage.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 AM

MikeV8,
I thought you might get a kick out of this posting on Pistonheads about a manual conversion XJS created for a television show.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=47&t=1843252
As for the handling of the X100, when I retired my X100 from its daily driving chores a few years ago in favor of my X150, I did a mini restoration of the car. All new springs, shocks, control arms, bushings, etc. to make it "feel" better.and tauter like my X150, but alas, while it corrected the front end ride height issues which all X100s get with time (as the springs get old, compress, and drop the front end an inch or more), it did little to make it more manageable. If you drive an X100 and an X150 (post 2010) back to back which I do on an almost daily basis, there is simply no comparison. Part of the differences is certainly attributable to the fact that my X100 is a convertible and the X150 a coupe, so the coupe is considerably stiffer, however, the suspension/chassis origins of the X100 are "ancient" in car years and the technology has come a long way by 2010. Having said that, I do understand having a nice GT car with a manual that you can have some fun with without track prowess, so I hope you're able to satisfy your "itch." (By the way, Pistonheads site was offline, this morning, so if you get an error code, just try it later on. I think you'll appreciate what's been done to this car.)
Thanks for the link. Interesting car indeed. Would never drive it, but as an amusement or as they say, a conversation starter, it's nice. Never heard of the show though.

About the X100 handling, you should have said earlier you were bashing the convertible. I can see now where you are coming from. Convertibles, specially from that era are wet noodles. I'm sure it handles as such. I never drove the convertible. I drove a XK8 4.0 and a XKR 4.0. Didn't see anything in the handling that wasn't caused by the fact the suspension is set up for luxury rather than sporty driving and the car rides on stilts. This can be fixed with a suspension tune up and tires/wheels choice and stance adjustment. That plus a manual transmission with a LSD I'm sure would totally transform the car.

Is your X150 which you are comparing to the X100 also a convertible?

Last edited by MikeV8; 12-03-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?