XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Stand alone engine management system, Motec, etc will solve the electronics issues. Maybe transplant a Vantage manual drive train? The 4.7 litre V8 is very similar to the Jag 4.2L AJV8.
The Vantage uses a transaxle and is a dry sump engine. Not sure how that would complicate things. I'd just buy a Vantage and call it day. Way more sporty the XK and checks all the boxes. XK is very nice, but it's no Aston Martin.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Regarding the ZF 6HP26 transmission.
As far as I can tell, you have to figure out how to deal with the following. (Similar issues eliminating the 5-speed auto trans used on X100s)

1. You need to spoof or program around the CAN transmission Wake-up Signal. Car probably wont even start without this signal being read by the ECM/BCM.
2. You need to jumper/satisty the J Gate Shiftlock signal
3. You need to satifty/maintain the shiflock signal for the brake pedal.
4. Need to emulate the "P" signal that locks out the starter while the car is running.
5. Then deal with all the CAN bus traffic.
5.1 I believe that there are about 150+- Can fault "P" codes that can be generated by the Mechatronic controller. (Probably no issue here because without the auto trans, no faults can be reported.)
5.2 The Mechatronics ZF controller continuosly communicates with the ECM/BCM/Instrument Panel, regarding shift points: RPM and Loads. I am not sure what will happen when these CAN signals are no longer received by the ECM. Perhaps the engine will operate like the transmission is in park and the engine will free rev. With a manual transmission, the driver determines when you shift.
5.3 Could be issues with "Drive-by-Wire" engine control, versus older cable drive throttle bodies.

Aftermarket ECM/harness.
Aftermarket ECMs are getting better and better. As automakers lock down their ECMs using encriptions so hackers can modify them, the capabilities of aftermarket controllers get better CAN programability.
Using an aftermarket controller is all about how much time you have to learn how to set up the ECM and all the associated outputs.
- First you have to learn how to set up the ECM for your engine. (and fuel delivery)
- Then you have to tune the engine.
- If you put in an aftermarket instrument panel/gages, then it is a fairly straight forward setting up the aftermarket instrument panel. (Maintaining a stock IP will take hundreds of hours to figure out, and you will be a CAN expert by the time you finish.)
- Some of the new aftermarket ECMs have programmable ABS/TCS CAN outputs. (You may have toreplace the stock ABS module and install a specified model ABS/TCS module and sensors.)
- One would have to study CATS to see how it ties into the ECM.
- One other issue that can become a problem is what other electrical control problems will manifest because simple things like door locks, or door ajar, or trunk open, windows, radio/entertainment/HVAC that route through the BCM will not allow the car to start without certain conditions being met. When you replace the ECM with an aftermarket, the car will run fine, but you may get non-stop error messages from the BCM because it is no longer talking to the ECM confirming that all the BCM systems states are fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tijoe:
MikeV8 (12-06-2019), mosesbotbol (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

mosesbotbol,
The remark about the XK being no Aston is correct. The new Vantage took one of the most beautiful automotive designs in history and make it look like crap. The XK is infinitely more graceful and beautiful than the wide mouth bass new Vantage with the triangular plastic ill-fitting piece on the side where the vent used to be. If you were referring to a used previous generation Vantage, I would say that it would be a nice choice, but the new one, I don't know how you could look at that front end every time you drove it.
Sorry, I tried to include pictures of a 2020 and 2017 Vantage but did not work. Look them up online and compare for yourselves.

Last edited by tberg; 12-04-2019 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
Cee Jay (12-04-2019), MikeV8 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
mosesbotbol,
The remark about the XK being no Aston is correct. The new Vantage took one of the most beautiful automotive designs in history and make it look like crap. The XK is infinitely more graceful and beautiful than the wide mouth bass new Vantage with the triangular plastic ill-fitting piece on the side where the vent used to be. If you were referring to a used previous generation Vantage, I would say that it would be a nice choice, but the new one, I don't know how you could look at that front end every time you drove it.
Sorry, I tried to include pictures of a 2020 and 2017 Vantage but did not work. Look them up online and compare for yourselves.
I was at our local Aston Martin Owners Group Christmas party last night and someone had just bought a new Vantage. I terms of dynamics, the car is much faster and smoother. Deceptively fast is what he said (had a 4.7 Vantage previously). The looks have grown on me a lot; I like it in the right spec. When that huge clamshell hood opens it's pretty special. Some elements I don't like that are optional like the contrasting side vents. I would keep them body colored. The mesh front end is trickle down from their race cars and slats will be available at some point.

The Vantage AMR in manual are being delivered to customers now and that should be really exciting. Best buy's for a Vantage would be any V12 or a V8S 4.7.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I somewhat agree as the mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward . There would be a lot of searching for parts and the design and fabrication of some of them but it shouldn't be to much of a challenge. The part requiring the challenge is how the transmission talks to the rest of the on board electronics. What is required to delete the TCU and how would you talk to the rest of the car. Would it be a SW change or just some electrical wiring changes. This would be assuming you use the 4.2 or 5.0 engine as is. If you go with a non jaguar engine then you have a new can of worms to open. I'd like to see some do it.
Exactly. But why does the transmission have to talk to the rest of the electronics? What wouldn't work if it didn't?

Old 12-06-2019, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by JagRag
What is your all-in budget on this vehicle? (i.e. the total cost you intend to spend for a completed car?)

I don't really have a set budget. Of course, as usual, trying to keep it as low as possible. Much of the work I could DIY. For example the mechanical parts, like actually swapping the transmission, pedal box etc. What I can't do is software etc.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Heheh, I keep saying I find the XJS ugly and you keep suggesting XJS.

I have zero interest in a XJS of any kind. Even if it had a jet engine.

Matter of fact, the only Jaguars ever made I have any interested in are the X100, X150 and F-type. Because all the other pretty ones, like the E-type, XKSS (replica of course), XK150/120 etc are too old and I'm not looking for a classic.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Stand alone engine management system, Motec, etc will solve the electronics issues. Maybe transplant a Vantage manual drive train? The 4.7 litre V8 is very similar to the Jag 4.2L AJV8.
Oh, please do elaborate more on this stand alone engine management system option.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:56 AM

The Vantage uses a transaxle and is a dry sump engine. Not sure how that would complicate things. I'd just buy a Vantage and call it day. Way more sporty the XK and checks all the boxes. XK is very nice, but it's no Aston Martin.
Checks all boxes, except 2 of the most important ones. Looks and maintenance costs.

We discussed the V8 Vantage extensively in the thread. It is not happening. As a matter of fact I would probably sooner buy a V6 F-type manual boosted to 450bhp than a Vantage. I think the F-type looks better all things considered. Maybe it's because Ford spoiled the old Aston design and now the Vantage looks like a Focus coupe or something. I don't know. But I think the F-type is better looking. It's a more modern chassis and 450bhp from a lighter V6 is not bad compared to the Vantage's 380-430bhp from a V8. A V6 F-type is my back up plan at this point. But only if I really, really can't do the swap or find anything else more suitable.

This is a passion pursue. Looks is very important and as I have said many times now, I'm just not in love with the looks of the Vantage. I think the original Vanquish looks much better. Even the DB7 V12 Vantage in GT guise looks better to my eyes on most days.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Regarding the ZF 6HP26 transmission.
As far as I can tell, you have to figure out how to deal with the following. (Similar issues eliminating the 5-speed auto trans used on X100s)

1. You need to spoof or program around the CAN transmission Wake-up Signal. Car probably wont even start without this signal being read by the ECM/BCM.
2. You need to jumper/satisty the J Gate Shiftlock signal
3. You need to satifty/maintain the shiflock signal for the brake pedal.
4. Need to emulate the "P" signal that locks out the starter while the car is running.
5. Then deal with all the CAN bus traffic.
5.1 I believe that there are about 150+- Can fault "P" codes that can be generated by the Mechatronic controller. (Probably no issue here because without the auto trans, no faults can be reported.)
5.2 The Mechatronics ZF controller continuosly communicates with the ECM/BCM/Instrument Panel, regarding shift points: RPM and Loads. I am not sure what will happen when these CAN signals are no longer received by the ECM. Perhaps the engine will operate like the transmission is in park and the engine will free rev. With a manual transmission, the driver determines when you shift.
5.3 Could be issues with "Drive-by-Wire" engine control, versus older cable drive throttle bodies.

Aftermarket ECM/harness.
Aftermarket ECMs are getting better and better. As automakers lock down their ECMs using encriptions so hackers can modify them, the capabilities of aftermarket controllers get better CAN programability.
Using an aftermarket controller is all about how much time you have to learn how to set up the ECM and all the associated outputs.
- First you have to learn how to set up the ECM for your engine. (and fuel delivery)
- Then you have to tune the engine.
- If you put in an aftermarket instrument panel/gages, then it is a fairly straight forward setting up the aftermarket instrument panel. (Maintaining a stock IP will take hundreds of hours to figure out, and you will be a CAN expert by the time you finish.)
- Some of the new aftermarket ECMs have programmable ABS/TCS CAN outputs. (You may have toreplace the stock ABS module and install a specified model ABS/TCS module and sensors.)
- One would have to study CATS to see how it ties into the ECM.
- One other issue that can become a problem is what other electrical control problems will manifest because simple things like door locks, or door ajar, or trunk open, windows, radio/entertainment/HVAC that route through the BCM will not allow the car to start without certain conditions being met. When you replace the ECM with an aftermarket, the car will run fine, but you may get non-stop error messages from the BCM because it is no longer talking to the ECM confirming that all the BCM systems states are fine.
This is why I think eliminating as many superfluous electronics as possible is the easiest way. The warnings can maybe be just disconnected? If it will run with an aftermarket ECM and the warnings can be silenced, what else would I be losing?

Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 AM

I was at our local Aston Martin Owners Group Christmas party last night and someone had just bought a new Vantage. I terms of dynamics, the car is much faster and smoother. Deceptively fast is what he said (had a 4.7 Vantage previously). The looks have grown on me a lot; I like it in the right spec. When that huge clamshell hood opens it's pretty special. Some elements I don't like that are optional like the contrasting side vents. I would keep them body colored. The mesh front end is trickle down from their race cars and slats will be available at some point.

The Vantage AMR in manual are being delivered to customers now and that should be really exciting. Best buy's for a Vantage would be any V12 or a V8S 4.7.
I think the only problem with the new Vantage is the goofy looking fish mouth. Lose that and have a grill more like the DB10 and it would look like a classy Aston again instead of a Toyota Supra.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
I don't know. But I think the F-type is better looking. It's a more modern chassis and 450bhp from a lighter V6 is not bad compared to the Vantage's 380-430bhp from a V8. A V6 F-type is my back up plan at this point. But only if I really, really can't do the swap or find anything else more suitable.
F Type would be a better pick for you if you're not in love with the look of the Aston's. It all starts with looks for me on cars. F Type manuals are rare as it, so I'd look to buy one sooner than later. I see only 13 manual coupes, regardless of price on cars.com. Pretty well priced too around 40k or under. That's a good buy! I wouldn't think twice and just go with F Type manual if it checks the boxes.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:08 PM

F Type would be a better pick for you if you're not in love with the look of the Aston's. It all starts with looks for me on cars. F Type manuals are rare as it, so I'd look to buy one sooner than later. I see only 13 manual coupes, regardless of price on cars.com. Pretty well priced too around 40k or under. That's a good buy! I wouldn't think twice and just go with F Type manual if it checks the boxes.
Yes. F-type is the best back up. Checks all boxes but 3.

Doesn't check the big engine box since it's a V6. But at least the power can be brought up to higher than the V8 Vantage.

Only half checks the looks box. Mainly because I was looking for more of a classic beauty ala X100 or X150. F-type is a beauty compared to modern cars. But it is still too aggressive etc.

Then the last box it doesn't fully check is the too much tech box. As a modern car it has too much of the new interfering stuff, electric power steering etc.

But it is definitely the best back up plan at the moment.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
Only half checks the looks box. Mainly because I was looking for more of a classic beauty ala X100 or X150.
Agreed on the looks. I like the design of the SVR F Type a lot; that one looks great in coupe or convertible.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

I thought that this thread was about the possibility and discussion to try to install a manual trans in either a X100 or 4.2L X150

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

There was a guy building a drift car on this forum a few years ago and he was planning to use the emerald stand alone ecu along with a V6 manual out of a X type

The following 2 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
MikeV8 (12-10-2019), mosesbotbol (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
I thought that this thread was about the possibility and discussion to try to install a manual trans in either a X100 or 4.2L X150
It is. But since that conversation doesn't get a lot of input, as it seems nobody has really done it to a road car, we also get to talk about other stuff too.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
There was a guy building a drift car on this forum a few years ago and he was planning to use the emerald stand alone ecu along with a V6 manual out of a X type
Interesting. I will have to look into this Emerald ECU. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, today I saw a X150. Horrible wheels, dreadful colour. But what a beautiful shape. I must figure a way to have a manual one.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Belly fender also did a manual conversion on a n/a ajv8 using the 4.4 as the donor engine it was a no expense build up resulting in close to 500hp at the crank .

​​​​​​In your case I'd be weighing up whether it's worth spending X amount of dollars on a car that's worth xx , if the V6 manual gearbox can in fact be used I'd be going down that particular path .

The following users liked this post:
MikeV8 (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Belly fender also did a manual conversion on a n/a ajv8 using the 4.4 as the donor engine it was a no expense build up resulting in close to 500hp at the crank .

​​​​​​In your case I'd be weighing up whether it's worth spending X amount of dollars on a car that's worth xx , if the V6 manual gearbox can in fact be used I'd be going down that particular path .
What do you mean by V6 gearbox?

Is there any more info on that Belly fender build?

Last edited by MikeV8; 12-11-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?