XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no manual Astons around here and we have limitation on imports. My only choice is to get a manual Porsche cabriolet but that is not the same.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Saudi Jaguar
There are no manual Astons around here and we have limitation on imports. My only choice is to get a manual Porsche cabriolet but that is not the same.
Can you import from UAE? Do you need the car GCC spec?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

The xkr-r runs a tremec and even the engineers couldn't eliminate the dash codes on this factory prototype

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (04-03-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Can you import from UAE? Do you need the car GCC spec?
Here in Saudi we got two regulations implemented in the past few years.
1. You cannot import anything older than 5 years.
2. You cannot import anything that shows high fuel consumption in our data base.

I actually got my XKR from the UAE before the second law.

That takes away all of the good stuff and leaves only two cars of interest that I can bring, the F-Type and the Boxter Spyder. I am thinking anything up to 15K $ for the manual conversion would still be worth it.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Here in Saudi we got two regulations implemented in the past few years.
1. You cannot import anything older than 5 years.
2. You cannot import anything that shows high fuel consumption in our data base.

I actually got my XKR from the UAE before the second law.

That takes away all of the good stuff and leaves only two cars of interest that I can bring, the F-Type and the Boxter Spyder. I am thinking anything up to 15K $ for the manual conversion would still be worth it.
How about a Vantage then?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Cannot import a Vantage. I think all V8 sports cars would not meet fuel consumption limits.
By the way, all of what I mentioned is for personal imports. Dealers can still get whatever cars wanted, so I can get a new Vantage if I can afford one.

Last edited by Saudi Jaguar; 04-04-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I am thinking anything up to 15K $ for the manual conversion would still be worth it.
I can't see it costing so little but there are so few who would or could do it you can probably approach each of them and just ask.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Cannot import a Vantage. I think all V8 sports cars would not meet fuel consumption limits.
By the way, all of what I mentioned is for personal imports. Dealers can still get whatever cars wanted, so I can get a new Vantage if I can afford one.
Dealer musts be importing used cars from other gulf states or US. Can you broker cars through them?

Old 04-08-2020, 12:46 PM

I think they can import high fuel consumption cars only as new. I will explore that when the Corona crisis is over.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts
Default X150 5.0L manual conversion

I think our best shot at a manual conversion would be the ZF S6-53. It was used by car manufacturers on cars that had the ZF 6HP26/8 as the automatic transmission.

One of the applications of the ZF S6-53 was in the 2006 S-Type diesel.
The F-Type comes with the ZF S6-45 which has a lower torque rating.

I am not sure if the two pieces of information above give a clue on how to handle electronics.

Something to think about: Use the ZF S6-53 from the 2006 S-Type diesel complete with shifter and linkage. Modify the clutch/brake pedal box from an appropriate donor. Retain the ZF automatic computer and emulate the necessary inputs.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
Something to think about: Use the ZF S6-53 from the 2006 S-Type diesel complete with shifter and linkage. Modify the clutch/brake pedal box from an appropriate donor. Retain the ZF automatic computer and emulate the necessary inputs.
Your last sentence is the issue. The mechanical installation can be done but it's the SW that no one has broken the code with.

Cee Jay (04-24-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Default Retain the ZF automatic computer

Just suggesting a different approach to the software problem. Look at it as a transmission problem where discrete functions are addressed at the inputs of the transmission control module.
Let the car "think" that it still has an automatic transmission.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Just suggesting a different approach to the software problem. Look at it as a transmission problem where discrete functions are addressed at the inputs of the transmission control module.
The problem with such emulation is that the engine will operate where it thinks the transmission is doing what it is told, so very erratic things will happen.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Unlike yesteryear the transmission provides various signals both input and output from the ECM. So I would think in order to fool the ECM you would need to find out what the various signal voltages and sensor information to feed into the ECM. You would need this information from Jaguar which I bet would be reluctant to do. I would also believe you have to modify the ECM which would be another issue. One way to do this is to get someone to make a stand alone ECM that just runs the engine and it's controls. Let the transmission be mechanical with no electronic features in it. I'm sure anyone of this issues can be solved , all you would need is time and money. I'm not against it and would like to see it done but I don't know if someone would want to invest in it. It also may be easier to install a DCT in place of a 6/7 or 8 speed.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

A dct would transform this car into a absolute beast shaving a good .5 off the 1/4 mile

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 04-26-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, good luck. Read up on how the car works and then you'll scrap this idea.

Cee Jay (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

As stated, the transmission is highly integrated into the ECM of our cars. That being written again, The transmissions are "Smart" and do all of the shifitng work. The communication between the Trans controler and the ECM are mainly CAN messages. (There is park,reverse, and brake signals involved too.)
Last time I looked into this, the simplest way I could figure out is to satisfy the "park signal" so that the engine will rev and operate independent of the transmission. One thing I didn't figure out is weather the engine will run in a "closed loop" mode and/or the car being in park, will affect VVT.

The only other apprioach is to use an aftermarket ECM, but for those in smog states, this will be an issue unless the ECM outputs all the DTC codes, Vehicle VIN, codes and other data that is read from the car when it is inspected.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Default Manual Transmission 5.0L XK: Thanks for the warnings

Having read this entire thread before posting, negative responses were anticipated. Let us begin again:

Stipulations:
1. The ZF 6HP26 automatic with paddle shifters is an excellent solution.
2. Economically, all costs associated with a conversion should be considered sunk.
3. Jaguar, we are told, will not support conversion efforts with access to CAN, etc.
4. Federal (USA) regulations prohibit modifications to the the Engine Control software.
5. The ECM and the TCM function together. TCM affects engine and vehicle performance.
6. Differential ratio for the ZF automatic may be higher than optimum for a manual transmission.
7. A bolt-on transmission for the Jaguar 5.0L may be less than the torque rating as the ZF 6HP26.
8. Drive-shaft length, universal joints, etc will likely require a custom shaft.
9. Drag racing or or 0-60 MPH performance may not be improved and may actually suffer.
10. Re-sale value of the vehicle may be less than before MT conversion.

So, why do a manual conversion? A: Because ... (a whole other discussion.)

Assuming that the mechanical conversion is accomplished and accepting the differential ratio (another discussion), the electronics is understood to be the stumbiling block.
Since, Jaguar is not cooperative and Federal rules discourage mods to the ECM, retain the TCM and emulate the descrete inputs.
Information about the transmission functions is available from sources other than Jaguar. possibly from ZF or the other vechile manufacturers using the same or similar automatic transmissions.

This post is a request for constructive discussion. Bah humbug! has been heard loud and clear.
Lets hear from those who know if the Ford Mustang V6 transmission will bolt up. Or what pedal box is a likely candidate.
Maybe a discussion about the ZF TCM inputs/outputs?
We can do this!

Best regards,
Bill

MarkyUK (06-10-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Just pay one of the (few) firms that offer this kind of thing. Big $$$ but you get it in less than a year.

If you don't fancy that, either
1.watch & decode the CAN messages so you can fake them
or
2. mimic the internals of the ZF trans so you can fool a TCM which hasn't actually got those internals (this will be hard because you'll have to ramp signals up & down to mimic things like fluid pressure changes)

Last edited by JagV8; 04-26-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:52 PM
Default Yes, mimic the internals of the ZF

Originally Posted by JagV8
or
2. mimic the internals of the ZF trans so you can fool a TCM which hasn't actually got those internals (this will be hard because you'll have to ramp signals up & down to mimic things like fluid pressure changes)
Exactly! Keep the TCM and emulate the discrete inputs to the TCM.
There are programmable microcontrollers that can be used to accomplish the emulation(s).
It may be useful to mount switches on the shift linkage. Even maual transmissions monitor reverse for backup lights.
This is doable. The talent needed is here on this forum. We just need to work together.

Best regards,
Bill

Quick Reply: Manual transmission conversion? Dreaming?