XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Many fault codes and car won't run

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Many fault codes and car won't run

2007 XK convertible V8 left hand drive US model
The car I am working on will not run. Here is what I have discovered so far. I have not checked the alternator since it will not stay running long enough to check the voltage.
The battery was dead and the car has been driven recently. There may be a drain that caused the battery to lose charge. The fuel tank is full and fuel is not that old.
I tested the battery and it is good after a full charge at 12.6 volts and 900 CCA
I put the battery back in the car and it will turn on and the starter will turn.
The car will not run on it's own power. If I spray starter fluid in the intake it will run about 5 seconds and die.
A mouse has been all in that car. There are signs of the mouse everywhere in the engine bay, cabin, and trunk.
The car owner said the mouse was found dead in a water bowl in the garage where the car is stored.
The following faults are listed on the cluster: park brake, tire pressure, engine temp indication, ABS, engine oil pressure low, gearbox fault, battery not charging, brake fluid low, DSC not available, fuel level low, and there is a constant beeping coming from the cluster.
The car is not low on fuel or any fluids. The seats will move but only about one inch per button push.
The park lights and tail lights stay on all the time after you connect the battery even with the switch off.
The touch screen stereo says that the car is low on fuel and the tank is almost full.
I can't find the fuel pump inertia switch anywhere on the car to see if it needs to be reset.
The car has not been rolled or in a accident to shut off the fuel.

Here are the codes I get from my OBD scanner: U0151 lost comm with restraints control module, U0103 Lost Comm with Gear shift module, U0128 lost comm with park brake module, U0155 lost comm with instrument panel cluster, U0101 Lost comm with TCM, U0300 Internal Control Module Software Incompatibility.

I have checked all the fuses under the hood and the driver side kick panel and they are all good. I have checked all of the wiring under the hood and in both kick panels to see if they have been damaged by a rodent. The next thing I am going to check is the fuel pressure. I can't get to fuel door to open with the car powered on and pushing the fuel door button. I wanted to do that to listen for the fuel pump priming up. I will probably take more interior out of the car and trunk to look for wiring damage. I may trace and test the fuel pump power circuit for good connection. I don't think the fuel pump is getting any power at all. I will have to determine that by testing the circuit for voltage and continuity. I have two key fobs to test on the car. I have inserted both of them in the fob slot in the console and they seem to work fine. The car detects them and it attempts to start. It ran for about 5 seconds when I put starting fluid in the intake.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

All of what you stated is caused by a bad battery condition. You say the battery tested good, even under load. Okay then. Next step would be to ensure that power actually GETS to where it is needed. Check battery clamps, connection bolts and positions, and especially GROUND POINTS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
guy (06-13-2022), tberg (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oreilly manager will let me try new battery

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
All of what you stated is caused by a bad battery condition. You say the battery tested good, even under load. Okay then. Next step would be to ensure that power actually GETS to where it is needed. Check battery clamps, connection bolts and positions, and especially GROUND POINTS.
They can't test the battery under load. Grounds look good under the hood, in kick panels, and in the trunk. The current battery was made in 9/20 and we bought and installed it 10/20. It is a 8 year 93EXT super start extreme. It is not even 2 years old with a 3 year free replacement. He said he will order me a new battery and swap it out. I hope that will fix the car. From what I have read the car takes massive amounts of power to start up and run. It is very high tech car. It is definitely not a A model ford. Haha

Old 06-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

"A mouse has been all in that car. There are signs of the mouse everywhere in the engine bay, cabin, and trunk."

This is what stands out to me. I know you checked a lot of the wiring but mice can get to where you can't see. I do hope the new battery fixes it for you though.

The following 2 users liked this post by shemp:
guy (06-13-2022), jahummer (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

A 2 year old battery does not mean it's good enough for use in this car. If it's not the battery, there's always the chance the mouse did something or it's a red herring...

Old 06-13-2022, 06:14 PM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
A 2 year old battery does not mean it's good enough for use in this car. If it's not the battery, there's always the chance the mouse did something or it's a red herring...
Exactly what i was thinking....mouse chewed through some wiring.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:54 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

You mentioned that you checked the wiring under the hood and in the kick panels. You said nothing about the auxiliary junction box which is behind the vertical center cushion of the back seat. Actually, since you have had a mouse, it would be a good idea to pull the whole back seat out as there are hundreds of wires there for the little bugger to chew on.

The following users liked this post:
guy (06-13-2022)