XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Map & Courtesy Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 12:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I have those, according to my tech those are courtesy lights and puddle lights are on the mirrors

Old 04-06-2023, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 546 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
I have those, according to my tech those are courtesy lights and puddle lights are on the mirrors
I think those are what as known as puddle lights on the Jag - the ones down the foot wells are the courtesy light according to my understanding

Old 04-06-2023, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by McJag222
I think those are what as known as puddle lights on the Jag - the ones down the foot wells are the courtesy light according to my understanding
That's what always made sense to me, but according to my tech they are two different things in my SSD. He was able to turn them on as courtesy lamps?

From the TSB posted above:

Last edited by Dymaxxion; 04-06-2023 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, some confusion here with naming of lamps, the courtesy lamps are in the centre overhead unit you replaced, the footwell lamps are, well, in the footwell, puddle lamps in the door not the mirror (although googling puddle lamps usually defined as being on the mirrors). What is confusing is the puddle lamp drivers have a wire/signal called COURTESY_LIGHT. Which would make some sense as the puddle lamps and center console courtesy lamps work or should work when the door is opened.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by McJag222
Ok, some confusion here with naming of lamps, the courtesy lamps are in the centre overhead unit you replaced, the footwell lamps are, well, in the footwell, puddle lamps in the door not the mirror (although googling puddle lamps usually defined as being on the mirrors)...............................
Hey, Look! My Puddle Lamp!

Old 04-06-2023, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Hey, Look! My Puddle Lamp!

I don't have that kind of puddle lights on my 2009, I doubt the 2007 the op has. So there is some confusion happening with where and what. I don't see how a mirror "puddle light" helps when the door is opened as that isn't where ya foot is going to step. Whereas the bottom of the door lamp illuminates the area where a persons foot is gonna be placed. But seeing as me Jag don't have the mirror lights (maybe they don't work) I can only offer my opinion on dis.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

DD003 and PD003 connectors are located in the mirror per the 2008 connection diagram

Old 04-06-2023, 02:40 PM

Yeah, my car does not have the mirror puddle lamps and the TSB posted above returned an error that puddle lamps were not fitted to my car.

The Door lamps are the issue on my car, I'll refer to them that way now

Old 04-06-2023, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, my car does not have the mirror puddle lamps and the TSB posted above returned an error that puddle lamps were not fitted to my car.

The Door lamps are the issue on my car, I'll refer to them that way now
They are still puddle lamps, but you are right that the TSB is about mirror puddle lamps::

"Find the parameter for outer mirror puddle lamps and then select
'puddle lamps are fitted'."

Old 04-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The puddle lamps are the ones at the bottom of the door. I have always known then as puddle lamps, long before cars had lights under their mirrors.

This is from the electrical library for the 07 XK and shows the connector for the puddle lamp (PT004):

This is from the 5 litre electrical guide and that seems to refer to the lights in the mirror as 'approach' lights:

I suspect that at some point the firmware was modified to include a parameter for the lamps in the mirrors but it inadvertently broke the puddle lamps on the early 4.2 litre cars as they were linked so the fix was to set that parameter even though they didn't have the lamps.

Last edited by u102768; 04-06-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:31 PM

Seems like Jaguar should have made a distinction between the two. So does this mean other people with early cars are having problems with their lower door puddle lamps after updates?

Old 04-06-2023, 09:32 PM

I did some digging in the forum, it seems Jaguar changed the term for these lights from Puddle lamps to Reflectors (See thread here) So what do I need to tell my tech? to go into the SSD and activate the reflectors? or would I still have to have him run the above TSB and select reflectors?

Old 04-06-2023, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

I did some digging in the forum, it seems Jaguar changed the term for these lights from Puddle lamps to Reflectors (See thread here) So what do I need to tell my tech? to go into the SSD and activate the reflectors? or would I still have to have him run the above TSB and select reflectors?
Interesting, I dunno, show your tech the thread when you go there. Looks somewhat promising.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one confused about the different naming conventions because I’m constantly questioning what a simple term that I thought I knew the meaning of meant. Do we all agree that in the overhead Consol that the center light is a courtesy light? Are the two outside lights on the overhead console which are controlled by switches on the console map lights or also courtesy lights. I’m calling them map lights

And the lights on the bottoms of outside door mirrors are puddle lights if you think of them as lights that light up puddles when you’re outside the car and you unlock the door and it shows you where the puddles are so you don’t step in them on the way into the car.

Hey here’s a thought -do those outside door mirror lights light up when you unlock the door or only when you open it? Maybe the car is configured to do either one or both and it’s only configured to do it when you unlock the door but you’re looking at it only when the doors open

I actually forgot what the original problem was now

Last edited by Aarcuda; 04-11-2023 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
The puddle lamps are the ones at the bottom of the door. I have always known then as puddle lamps, long before cars had lights under their mirrors.

This is from the electrical library for the 07 XK and shows the connector for the puddle lamp (PT004):

This is from the 5 litre electrical guide and that seems to refer to the lights in the mirror as 'approach' lights:

I suspect that at some point the firmware was modified to include a parameter for the lamps in the mirrors but it inadvertently broke the puddle lamps on the early 4.2 litre cars as they were linked so the fix was to set that parameter even though they didn't have the lamps.
sweet manual!! Do they have one of these electrical libraries for the S type 2006? I need one so bad

Old 04-11-2023, 11:34 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
Well I’m glad I’m not the only one confused about the different naming conventions because I’m constantly questioning what a simple term that I thought I knew the meaning of meant. Do we all agree that in the overhead Consol that the center light is a courtesy light? Are the two outside lights on the overhead console which are controlled by switches on the console map lights or also courtesy lights. I’m calling them map lights

And the lights on the bottoms of outside door mirrors are puddle lights if you think of them as lights that light up puddles when you’re outside the car and you unlock the door and it shows you where the puddles are so you don’t step in them on the way into the car.

Hey here’s a thought -do those outside door mirror lights light up when you unlock the door or only when you open it? Maybe the car is configured to do either one or both and it’s only configured to do it when you unlock the door but you’re looking at it only when the doors open

I agree, but you forgot the lights at the bottom of door. I believe those are commonly referred to as Puddle Lights too.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carealtor
I agree, but you forgot the lights at the bottom of door. I believe those are commonly referred to as Puddle Lights too.
Those the only ones I have ever expected to be called Puddle lights.

are there lights anywhere else in the doors besides puddle, mirror and switches? Like where the door handle are lock is?

Old 04-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Just went out to my 06 S type R and press the center courtesy light switch in the overhead Consol to see what lights will come on and sure enough the satellite and the overhead Consol turned on as well as both drivers and passenger side foot well lights and the red reflective put a light at the bottom of the doors

Old 04-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one confused about the different naming conventions because I’m constantly questioning what a simple term that I thought I knew the meaning of meant. ...

... Hey here’s a thought -do those outside door mirror lights light up when you unlock the door or only when you open it? Maybe the car is configured to do either one or both and it’s only configured to do it when you unlock the door but you’re looking at it only when the doors open

TY. LMAO!

Logic: press key-fob on aproach, mirror mounted lights illuminate puddles. Maybe you can avoid.
On the other hand, reflector lights illuminate the puddle that you just stepped in (getting in) or have no choice but to step in (getting out).

It appears that JLR did change the terminology for the lights at some point.

Just a heads up: look out for terminology/naming errors on wiring diagrams. They are usually obvious if you think defensively but still catch me off guard at times.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

sweet manual!! Do they have one of these electrical libraries for the S type 2006? I need one so bad
Looks like it but you will have to subscribe for a day and wear your mouse out downloading the PDF's for each connector, one at a time. Probably 500+:

Quick Reply: Map & Courtesy Lights