XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A Message to Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
Wikipedia: A sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling. Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.

I don't see any weight specified in the above definition.

I also don't consider 3514 lbs (weight of the F Type Coupe) to be too heavy to be considered a sports car. The Audi R8 is 3514 lbs; the Corvette C7 Stingray is 3400 lbs; the Mercedes SLS AMG GT weighs 3900 lbs; the Lamborghini Aventador weighs 3472 lbs. The F Type coupe with the optional carbon fiber roof and breaks will be at least another 100 lbs lighter coming in at 3400 lbs maybe less. Sports cars these days are heavier, especially luxury sports cars but they are still sports cars. They can get away with it because of the advances in suspension and tires. I agree that it's at the heavier end of the sports car spectrum but it is a true sports car. The Porsche Carrera 4S is 3230 lbs. The Ferrari 599 Italia is 3267 lbs. Not exactly feather weights.

Are you going to eliminate the F Type coupe from the sports car category because of 150 lbs? If so, you are going to have to eliminate quite a few other cars including the Lamborghini Aventador, Audi R8, Mercedes SLS AMG GT and the Corvette C7 Stingray and probably a hell of a lot more. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to disagree with you.
The car has motors to move the air vents up for crying out loud... is that necessary? THAT is a waste of weight and cost and is trivial. Most of the cars mentioned are not only lighter but also AWD. Do you have any idea how much heavier an AWD drivetrain is compared to 2wd? I'm not saying those cars are light either and there is a difference between sports car and super car. A Bugatti is ridiculously heavy and fast. Sports car - No. Super car - yes. The F-Type is just too heavy IMO to be a competitive sports car. Sports cars are about handling and nimbleness - not just 0-60.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The car has motors to move the air vents up for crying out loud... is that necessary? THAT is a waste of weight and cost and is trivial. Most of the cars mentioned are not only lighter but also AWD. Do you have any idea how much heavier an AWD drivetrain is compared to 2wd? I'm not saying those cars are light either and there is a difference between sports car and super car. A Bugatti is ridiculously heavy and fast. Sports car - No. Super car - yes. The F-Type is just too heavy IMO to be a competitive sports car. Sports cars are about handling and nimbleness - not just 0-60.

+1

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The car has motors to move the air vents up for crying out loud... is that necessary? THAT is a waste of weight and cost and is trivial. .

What is it that determines whether or not something is necessary?

Do you think driving around in a Jaguar XK is necessary? The entire car can be labeled just as much of a waste as rising air vents.

It's got a big engine that sucks gas - wasteful. It's big, heavy - takes away from performance.

Value? GTR at much lower price point will terrorize the XK/R and make it look worthless.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Exactly. I thought people bought these cars for reasons other than "they're the fastest" (which they aren't).

I considered the Audi RS6 before buying my STR. I got the STR but not because it's faster (which I reckon it isn't).

I'd have an XKR/F-Type if my wishes were matched. They're not. No problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Executive (01-30-2014), mosesbotbol (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Right On!

To you, DRC, all I can say is ... HALLELUJAH!

Lothar52 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Executive

Do you think driving around in a Jaguar XK is necessary? The entire car can be labeled just as much of a waste as rising air vents.

It's got a big engine that sucks gas - wasteful. It's big, heavy - takes away from performance.

Value? GTR at much lower price point will terrorize the XK/R and make it look worthless.

Driving around in an XK is not a sports car either - not even in RS trim.

The big engine is not "needed" but is there to make the car GO. It IS needed to compensate for the F type's obesity. Anything that doesn't help the car GO and GO better outside of basic items in cars is wasteful in a sportscar. To say that the GTR will make the XKR look worthless is just silly. Completely different market segments and value proposition. The GTR will beat it going from 0-60 yes... But the XKR looks like its worth far more than a plastic, computer controlled, nissan econobox that lacks any style or sophistication of any XK/R. The XKR is not a sportscar either - nor was it intended to be or made claim as such.

There is a reason the Miata is the number driven car on enthusiasts to scca/nasa track days. A sports car does not need a big engine either - if its not a heavy boat it doesn't need an industry leader hp figure.

mosesbotbol (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Driving around in an XK is not a sports car either - not even in RS trim.

The big engine is not "needed" but is there to make the car GO. It IS needed to compensate for the F type's obesity. Anything that doesn't help the car GO and GO better outside of basic items in cars is wasteful in a sportscar. To say that the GTR will make the XKR look worthless is just silly. Completely different market segments and value proposition. The GTR will beat it going from 0-60 yes... But the XKR looks like its worth far more than a plastic, computer controlled, nissan econobox that lacks any style or sophistication of any XK/R. The XKR is not a sportscar either - nor was it intended to be or made claim as such.
GTR isn't that much different from the XKR. They are both GTs, both have two doors and 4 seats and are made to go fast comfortably targeting similar market segments. And, not only the GTR will it go 0-60 faster, but it will stop better and apex every corner carrying way more speed.

And, I am not putting the XKR down in any way, just making the analogy so it makes sense.

The point i was trying to make is that all those small elements that you say have no value and are a waste, because they take away from the "Go Go" is what makes the F type what it is with it's own personality.

If your XK had cloth seats and roll up windows, i doubt you would be buying one. Am i correct?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,224 Likes on 8,538 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
Do you have the address?

Here's one way to contact him

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lations-95705/

Good luck..

Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I made exactly this argument a while back, complete with Miata references. But I was lambasted by an F-Type owner for not agreeing that the Veyron was a sports car...

Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive

One's desire or reason to buy a GTR is completely different than the reasons to buy an XKR. I own both. they are completely different animals.

The GTR is a phenomenal track oriented GT which has sacrificed a lot of refinement and comfort to achieve its performance at its price. The XKR is a better street performance GT being much more comfortable and refined. When driving the GTR you can not only hear and feel the road but you can also hear and feel the drive train just like a race car. When driving the XKR you feel like you're wrapped in the refinement and comfort of a performance oriented street car that leaves you with a feeling to want to just drive it forever.

I own both because I can. If I had to make a choice, it would be an easy decision to sell the GTR. Although, the GTR enjoys much less depreciation it is not as enjoyable to drive as the XKR. IMO the XKR is the best GT made and is a fantastic street performance cat for the price.

Last edited by DGL; 01-30-2014 at 03:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
mosesbotbol (01-30-2014), ralphwg (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM

GTR is function over form.

XKR is form over function.

There is a huge difference between the 2.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
When driving the GTR you can not only hear and feel the road but you can also hear and feel the drive train just like a race car.
Yeah, on a smooth road, the GT-R has an acceptable ride. Anywhere else, like the streets of London, it rattles your teeth, even in 'comfort' mode.

But all this arguing about what constitutes a "sports car" is pretty pointless. It's a vague category and, to some extent, it's simply a matter of taste. And that is something we will never all agree on.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ngarara:
DGL (01-30-2014), Lothar52 (01-30-2014), ralphwg (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 PM

The ftype is not as good sports car. It's in the Bible. Look it up.

Panthro (08-26-2018)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I would be shocked if the F-Type coupe actually weighed 3500 lbs! Hell wasn't the base '07 XK purported to be 3600 lbs, but is really closer to 4000?
Well, go to the Jaguar website and be shocked.

Lothar52 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Sexy Sells!!

I dont think Jaguar really cares about GT this or GT that. I wouldnt be surprised if Corporate starts targeting the 30-45 rich chi-chi crowd. As in the f-type commercials, you see a 30-ish slightly unshaven corporate type driving like his ***** are on fire. He wants to forget about his 250,000 grand a year job, drive like a maniac and hope he can pick up a hot babe. Their whole commercial screams of sex. I have never seen a Jag commercial that shows a set of Lynx Parallax clubs sticking out of here or there. (My bf has a set of these, a protour set that i gave him for Christmas when we got engaged. He says they are very unforgiving, whatever that means.) I got my car in sept. that I bought from my dad and drove it to the beach in Oceanside or Santa Monica often. More girls than guys looked at the car rather than me and would ask questions about what it was how much and how fast and if it had that girly girl feel. I told them I originally had a Miata and this was a car that let everyone know that I wasnt driving a porche or a caddy. I was different and that is what I wanted and it screamed SEX. When I would get out of the car, both guys and girls turned and looked and kept on looking. Guys often told me their girlfriend would love a car like my '13 xkr rag Guys that pulled up along side in hi-line cars were almost always under 50 and knew exactly what I was driving, and 100% of the time wanted to race off the lite. I am 37 and guys often wanted to talk to me about how the car tracked. ( I havent done that yet. I am not finished with my modifying) Guys with porshes, lambos, ferraris and the like look like they stepped out of a porsche, lombo or ferrari. WHen I pull up to a cafe in santa monica and the valet opens the door and I step out in a beach cover up with a bikini top, the whole scene screams of sex. THe xkr ragtop, me and the the scenery. Call it cache', sex appeal, or money, this is what Jaguar Corporate wants to sell and will target that specific group of people

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 01-30-2014 at 07:15 PM.
sharx8 (02-01-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Corvette C7 Stingray is rear wheel drive and weighs 3400 lbs I think that most people would agree that it is a sports car. Are you saying that because the F Type weighs 100 lbs more and has vent motors that it's not a sports car? You are just throwing out arbitrary criteria about the cutoff weight for a sports car. Until the weight of a sports car is defined by some agreed upon authority your opinion is just that - an opinion and I disagree with your opinion.

Let's try another approach. If the F Type is not a sports car what is it? A light weight GT car? It's too small to be considered a GT car. And if you go to the Jag website you will see for yourself that the entire F Type range weighs between 3500-3600 lbs with the coupe (before carbon fiber roof and breaks options) is 3514 curb weight, probably 3400 lbs with CB options.

So if it's not a sports car or a GT car what is it?

Executive (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

The F-Type is a sportscar...for God sake look at it... Its so SMALL!!! DO you think I want to drive from Ohio to California and back in that SMALL CAR!?!?! NO!!! I got the XK for that!!!! Is the XKR-S a sportscar?!?! NO!!! Its a super fast GT Cruiser with so much sex appeal it singes the BALL SACK!! What would I do with a F-Type...Simple..I want to take it out on a track, slide that thing around.. Hear it roar like a wild animal. ITS A SPORTSCAR!! If its too heavy for your liking...then get a PORSCHE AND A CHIROPRACTER. YEEEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You

The following 5 users liked this post by Lothar52:
DGL (01-30-2014), Executive (01-30-2014), Panthro (08-26-2018), ralphwg (01-31-2014), sharx8 (02-01-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default I dont know that anybody cares.

To both drc and r-rated respectfully. please try and look at the marketing of the jag commercial coming up for the Super Bowl. No where does any one bring up the weight of the cars or whether there is an electric motor pushing up vents. Any one who brings up these critieria does not get the point of the f-type. The car is being marketed as a Villian. Tough and nasty. This is what sells. This is what people want. The car is being marketed as an aggressive toy that make anyone who drives it, mysterious, nasty and different. Criteria that is being posted on this site that includes weights handling an d other mundane features wont do anything to sell this car. Try and look it objectively. If you were watching a superbowl commercial that talked about the weight of a car and placement of an electric motor for a vent you would change the channel. I know I would change the channel and I wouldnt buy that car. I would rather buy something that is vicious but sexy and lets everyone know that I arrived. People that talk about great specificity are trying to make the car into something the factory never intended and I am sure doesnt appreciate. Just a girls opinion

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
Panthro (08-26-2018), sharx8 (02-01-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Autolichus, Chapter Vi, Verse xii:

And the Lord, seated upon his mighty XKR-S throne,
Spake unto the Canaanites with a voice of thunder, saying:
"Yeay, verily, thine F-Type Rs are not proper sports cars,
For they are too heavy, and possess the rotating air vents".
But the Canaanites did raise their middle digits,
And did accelerate mightily across the desert,
And mocked the Almighty, saying as their dust did choke him:
"But we is faster than yoo-hooo!"

Here endeth the lesson

ralphwg (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I love you

Quick Reply: A Message to Corporate