XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

This seems to be brought up anytime someone mentions tires, Cee Jay promptly espouses about the horrors of his experience with MPSS tires, nothing wrong with stating you don't like them but the level seems "out of hand". Most every time I've also chimed in saying that my experience was nothing but great and that in no way would I ever hesitate in using them again (they were on my Boxster and an M3). Sorry you had a bad experience, those things can happen. My bad experience was with BF Goodrich TA radials years ago as was with many other buddies who also tried those tires but have had nothing but great experience with all Michelins I've ever used and that my son uses too - incredible on both wet and dry, solid longevity. I live in S Cal where the temps often get above 100 degrees and up until recently pushed my cars VERY hard.

Cee Jay - you also make the accusation that your review posting was not accepted... might that also be the case with other tire mfg's or just supposedly Michelin??? Maybe, like eBay now, bad reports don't make it on there thus negating the reality of effectiveness in even having reviews who knows. So maybe the same holds true on reviews from Hankook, Dunlop. etc?

At this time I've got a new set of Dunlop Sport Maxx on my XK and have to say that on dry that are remarkable in traction and quite quiet, driving my car home from purchase I ran into a terrible snow storm near Sedona and the XK handled that without a hitch which surprised me being they are summer tires.

So to wrap this up, sorry your experience was not good but the panacea for which you constantly toss out there with phrases like "I hope you have good life insurance" I feel is FAR too exaggerated bordering on purely scare tactics for an anecdotal incident especially when you take into consideration the many people here who attest to having good experiences and the MANY reviews from reputable institutions like Car and Driver, Tire Rack, etc that consistently rate them quite highly.

Last thing on tires - most reviews are completely worthless when comparing a old to new tire. It makes no difference which tire you are comparing that when you are looking at a worn tire versus new the new tire, regardless of brand or style, is going to feel FAR better than the one it is replacing... it will likely also be better in wet and much quieter so unless they are comparing "new to new" or VERY recent mountings the reviews are not good with the exception of wearing through them rapidly. We also do not know what the alignment might be so it could easily be issues there causing problems with quick wear. tramlining, noise, poor handling, etc. When a large percentage of people are buying tires based upon 2 factors - how "aggressive they look" and what their local tire place tells them to get it is all but impossible to get a clear comparison. Only head-head comparison with two new tires raced back-back can help here and that is not done over a period of time so that is a small percentage of reality.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I have a friend who had a car with Michelin Pilots on it, the tires it left the dealership new on were falling apart in about two weeks.

He got ticked at the service managers attitude about it, and ended up trading that BMW for a Porsche, and also doesn't use Michelins anymore.

It is very much a love/hate tire. Just go back to when they were in F1. Dominant, Ferrari got their tails handed to them by inferior cars running Michelin tires. Until, uh, a certain infamous race at Indy where all but six cars pulled into the pits on the opening laps due to risk of their Michelin's exploding.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Its also best to date when you had problems. I've gone longer *not* working on my Jaguar than I have the two Porsche's in my signature. The reputation of Jaguars from the past may not apply to a Jaguar of today.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I have a friend who had a car with Michelin Pilots on it, the tires it left the dealership new on were falling apart in about two weeks.

He got ticked at the service managers attitude about it, and ended up trading that BMW for a Porsche, and also doesn't use Michelins anymore.

It is very much a love/hate tire. Just go back to when they were in F1. Dominant, Ferrari got their tails handed to them by inferior cars running Michelin tires. Until, uh, a certain infamous race at Indy where all but six cars pulled into the pits on the opening laps due to risk of their Michelin's exploding.
Bridgestone had more wins than Michelin during that era of two tire manufacturer, no? FIA could've made the Michelin teams go through the pit lane each lap, but that would've been nearly as bad as what they ended up doing...

Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Bridgestone had more wins than Michelin during that era of two tire manufacturer, no? FIA could've made the Michelin teams go through the pit lane each lap, but that would've been nearly as bad as what they ended up doing...
In 2005, Bridgestone 1, Michelin 18. The Indy race was Ferrari, and Bridgestone's, only win. That is the season that sticks in my mind regardless of other seasons results. It was quite miserable for Ferrari!

Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper

So to wrap this up, sorry your experience was not good but the panacea for which you constantly toss out there with phrases like "I hope you have good life insurance" I feel is FAR too exaggerated bordering on purely scare tactics for an anecdotal incident especially when you take into consideration the many people here who attest to having good experiences and the MANY reviews from reputable institutions like Car and Driver, Tire Rack, etc that consistently rate them quite highly..........
Sorry, but if ANY tire starts throwing off large chunks of its tread down to the cord, especially with under 3000 miles, they are Dangerous. Dangerous to life and property.
I can accept that I may have gotten a "bad set", but for the amount I paid for them there should NEVER be a "bad set". The fact that I got TWO "bad sets" in a row???? THAT is a FACT and has absolutely NO subjectivity to it whatsoever. Garbage is garbage, 'nuff said.
Yes, it seems that quite a large percentage of ALL bad reviews, be it for a baloney sandwich or for tires, are rejected to garner higher ratings. THEREFORE, ALL ratings for everything should be taken with a small salt mine. Yet and again..... Michelins, never again.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

I replaced my Michelin Pilot Super Sport RUN-FLAT tires on my new 2015 Corvette C7 after 1800 miles. I replaced them with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 non-run-flat tires. the ride is smooth and quiet.

I recently sold the Michelins to another C7 owner so he could mount a set of tires. I am glad to be rid of these tires. I did not like them one bit.

The thread pattern sucked. The thread pattern was more of a "slick" type tire.

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Super Sports-dscn2569.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Banned

It is amazing how much totally unrelated info fell into this thread - what F1 cars use really doesn't figure in here nor should any "run-flat" tire (which all totally SUCK!). Hardly fair comparing there... run flats are sold to housewives under the guise of safety without mentioning how terrible they handle or wear nor how expensive they are to replace but this thread was about MPSS not run-flats

jahummer (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Speaking of reviews, for those with Continental DWS, they are well known for frequent premature failure and soft sidewalls. Do not drive them hard or on anything other than a smooth flawless road. I can cite numerous links or you can use google…

You'll find far fewer negative comments about Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Banned

Maybe bringing some logic and helpfulness back here something that everyone should be aware of when purchasing tires, just like a battery, is when it was made. (Because a battery is "new" doesn't mean it was 100% charged). Most are not aware that tires also have a shelf-life so perhaps some of those stating their tires had issues with cracks and such possibly could have got older tires... who knows but until we can start with facts all these assumptions and opinions are pretty much worthless noise. I know in both my cars and when I was aggressively racing motorcycles I've seen dealers try to sell tires that were a few years old.. buyer beware! Here's a helpful site that shows where to look, also good if/when you get a used car to see how old those tires are and do not use your receipt as a gauge to figure out if they're old or newer purchase date has little to do with it...

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Tervuren (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe bringing some logic and helpfulness back here something that everyone should be aware of when purchasing tires, just like a battery, is when it was made. (Because a battery is "new" doesn't mean it was 100% charged). Most are not aware that tires also have a shelf-life so perhaps some of those stating their tires had issues with cracks and such possibly could have got older tires... who knows but until we can start with facts all these assumptions and opinions are pretty much worthless noise. I know in both my cars and when I was aggressively racing motorcycles I've seen dealers try to sell tires that were a few years old.. buyer beware! Here's a helpful site that shows where to look, also good if/when you get a used car to see how old those tires are and do not use your receipt as a gauge to figure out if they're old or newer purchase date has little to do with it...

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
I couldn't agree on this more, its *very* important, as even though a brand may keep the same name, the production methods may not remain the same.

I do not like using tires over 5 years from when they were manufactured. Shelf of three years, I replace in two years.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yikes, I have Conti DWS on my Hyundia Genesis, I'd guess 25kish miles and no issues, and was considering them for the XKR, but this site gets me a little nervous:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/continental.html

Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by AVMiii
Yikes, I have Conti DWS on my Hyundia Genesis, I'd guess 25kish miles and no issues, and was considering them for the XKR, but this site gets me a little nervous:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/continental.html
If you are that concerned then get something else. I'm sure you can find faults with any tire from people who have has mishaps with a tire brand. Also think about what was the conditions where the tire blew or became defective. I'm sure it wasn't a shallow pot hole hit at 30 mph. Next out of how many tires were made and sold , how many failures were claimed or how many government recalls were made. Now look at how many class action suits are being pursued. So pick your poison and go with the data. Oh I just put a set on my XKR . Enjoy the ride.

Lothar52 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Thank you for this eyeopener. At least give the receipt to a loved one along with a personal injury litigators number.

Lothar52 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
In 2005, Bridgestone 1, Michelin 18. The Indy race was Ferrari, and Bridgestone's, only win. That is the season that sticks in my mind regardless of other seasons results. It was quite miserable for Ferrari!
There were fewer Bridgestone teams, and you have to consider all the seasons Ferrari won with Schumacher. You could be right as for the total of wins during the two tire supplier era.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

I am thoroughly confused... what's the best tire then gentlemen?!?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Banned

stick with the black round ones and you'll be fine Lothar. It depends on what your criteria is:

Longevity
summer grip or all season
initial cost
"aggressive look"

No one can answer your question until you decide what is important to you. There is no "one" great tire for any car get that idea out of your head. Once YOU'VE done your decision-making on what's important to you then do your homework, relying on others choices who's criteria may well be totally different than yours isn't going to help you. Now add to it biases or the anomalies like Cee Jay had and it can throw a monkey wrench into the gearbox. The truth is most people either go with the dealer OEM tires out of convenience or whatever the local uneducated tire shop sells them and they blindly believe whatever they're told by the $15/hr guy doing so to generate his largest profit in most cases (a major reason why shops recommend Hankook tires is the mark-up is FAR greater than Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone).

Lothar52 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

stick with the black round ones and you'll be fine Lothar. It depends on what your criteria is:

Longevity
summer grip or all season
initial cost
"aggressive look"

No one can answer your question until you decide what is important to you. There is no "one" great tire for any car get that idea out of your head. Once YOU'VE done your decision-making on what's important to you then do your homework, relying on others choices who's criteria may well be totally different than yours isn't going to help you. Now add to it biases or the anomalies like Cee Jay had and it can throw a monkey wrench into the gearbox. The truth is most people either go with the dealer OEM tires out of convenience or whatever the local uneducated tire shop sells them and they blindly believe whatever they're told by the $15/hr guy doing so to generate his largest profit in most cases (a major reason why shops recommend Hankook tires is the mark-up is FAR greater than Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone).
You did not mention my criteria. The only thing I need is warranty, 60 day satisfaction guarantee and a 5 year workmanship warranty. Then I dont want to buy it from a tire shop- drug dealers have better work ethics and under less pressure to upsell.

All I want is recourse, recourse and recourse. Everything you ever wanted to know about tires is answered in my criteria. Good manufacturers will stand by their product in the 3 ways noted about. Furthermore the best tire in the world may not be to your liking- 60 day satisfaction guarantee takes care of that.

I get my tires from Costco- its like dealing with the Ritz Carlton vs Motel 6. They are not there to sell you anything- not even tires, its just a member benefit. Nitrogen Fill, excellent balance machines and they re-balance it free when I come in to shop for something. What could be better. The dealership, but then again thats if you have 3 hours to spare every 3 months.

And for the love of Jaguar if you have 19" wheels (I dont) dont put a sedan thread pattern on them. Its just disrespectful.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
...Nitrogen Fill...

Queen and Country (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

I get my tires from Costco- its like dealing with the Ritz Carlton vs Motel 6. They are not there to sell you anything- not even tires, its just a member benefit.
My last two Jags, Costco did not have a tire for me. On the XK, I think they had the front's only (I ran Pilot Sport AS+.... I know... I drove the car all year round).

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports