XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Missing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Missing coolant in a 4.2

Hey all,
I encountered a weird problem during a road trip with my 2007 4.2 base convertible. Had to camp out behind a Jaguar Dealer last night, only to find out this morning that they refused to look at cars built before 2011 (steer clear of Bob Moore Jaguar in Oklahoma City). I was at the end of a 12 hour drive in 81 degree weather. The engine temperature warning came up on the display very briefly during hard acceleration, so I promptly pulled over, idled for 5 minutes and then shut it off for 10. No more problems. Fast forward 6 hours it showed up again. This time it didn't go away on it's own before I pulled over and repeated the idle/shutoff procedure outlined in the manual. I checked the reservoir. There was maybe an inch of coolant left in it and no visible leaks. Engine oil looked fine. I added more coolant in an attempt to make the dealership. After arriving at the dealer I noticed the passengers side wheel well was soaked in coolant (possibly from boiling out of the tank after being slightly overfilled.). Again, the engine oil looks fine and she runs like a top. Drove her 7 miles to a little ma and pop shop that would look at her, she held the coolant that I had put in and didn't overheat. Can someone comfort me and tell me that I'm not looking at a new engine like the dealer (who wouldn't look at it) implied? It doesn't make sense to me that if the car is not overheating and the oil looks fine it would need that major of a repair.

Last edited by Dymaxxion; 09-30-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:36 PM
Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Guessing the lower spigot on the (plastic...) coolant tank has a fracture? If so, easy fix, everything accessible from the top. Possibly short run of (7) miles wasn't long enough for temps to get really hot? Coolant tank is above passenger wheel-well.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

My first thought is you have a leaking heater core.
Easy check to confirm Tracee's suggestion also. Is it wet near the center console or the A pillar?

The following users liked this post:
guy (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracee
Guessing the lower spigot on the (plastic...) coolant tank has a fracture? If so, easy fix, everything accessible from the top. Possibly short run of (7) miles wasn't long enough for temps to get really hot? Coolant tank is above passenger wheel-well.
Ah yes, the dreaded coolant issue. Have ongoing experiences with this. Last week I had to replace the plastic coolant housing. Before that it was the "octopus" hose. Before that it was the small hose running to the coolant reservoir, and I still smell coolant when my wife pulls into the garage. Probably not the reservoir as that is pretty sturdy.

Get some Jag coolant, mix it 50/50 with distilled water and carry a container with you till you figure it out. They can do a pressure test and try to find the leak.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:02 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

I’m disgusted that a dealer turned away a customer in distress. I too suspect the heater core. Not a difficult fix. Good luck.
PS post in your regional forum on who to avoid, and find out who is worth seeing... my dealer is awesome.

Last edited by guy; 09-30-2020 at 03:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
Cee Jay (09-30-2020), Scott in PA (10-01-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

If it were me I would report the dealer to Jaguar North America. I'm pretty sure they don't sanction that kind of a response or action.

Cee Jay (09-30-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
If it were me I would report the dealer to Jaguar North America. I'm pretty sure they don't sanction that kind of a response or action.
I would first do some research.

Bob Moore Jaguar in Oklahoma City is a dealer in Jaguars:
https://www.bobmoore.com/new-vehicles/jaguar/

That is very different from being a Jaguar Dealer such as Jaguar Oklahoma City:
https://www.jaguaroklahomacity.com/

Graham

Sean W (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Yes, they are indeed an officially franchised Jaguar dealership so IF their policy is indeed to not service Jaguar models prior to the 2011MY, and particularly a Jaguar owner in distress then I think JLR NA would certainly have an interest.

https://www.bobmoore.com/service/

Cee Jay (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Heater

[
Sounds to me like the heater core.

QUOTE=Dymaxxion;2296417]Hey all,
I encountered a weird problem during a road trip with my 2007 4.2 base convertible. Had to camp out behind a Jaguar Dealer last night, only to find out this morning that they refused to look at cars built before 2011 (steer clear of Bob Moore Jaguar in Oklahoma City). I was at the end of a 12 hour drive in 81 degree weather. The engine temperature warning came up on the display very briefly during hard acceleration, so I promptly pulled over, idled for 5 minutes and then shut it off for 10. No more problems. Fast forward 6 hours it showed up again. This time it didn't go away on it's own before I pulled over and repeated the idle/shutoff procedure outlined in the manual. I checked the reservoir. There was maybe an inch of coolant left in it and no visible leaks. Engine oil looked fine. I added more coolant in an attempt to make the dealership. After arriving at the dealer I noticed the passengers side wheel well was soaked in coolant (possibly from boiling out of the tank after being slightly overfilled.). Again, the engine oil looks fine and she runs like a top. Drove her 7 miles to a little ma and pop shop that would look at her, she held the coolant that I had put in and didn't overheat. Can someone comfort me and tell me that I'm not looking at a new engine like the dealer (who wouldn't look at it) implied? It doesn't make sense to me that if the car is not overheating and the oil looks fine it would need that major of a repair.[/QUOTE]
heater core

Old 10-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

This is how I originally received my jag, i went for a test drive loved it, bought it, but never made a hundred miles until the hot light came on. In my case it was a small 3/8 hose that runs under the intake/throttle body area. After towing back to the car lot we also noticed the oil was clean and normal looking but a lot of oil was in the coolant bottle. They replaced the engine for me with a low milage unit (to my benefit as the car had nearly 100k miles on it) only to find out the oil cooler had sprung a leak allowing the oil to enter the cooling system. Once I had the car at home I rolled u my sleeves and replaced every hose that car came with, there was no way I was going to be stuck on the side of the road again. I have driven around the US and Canada with absolutely 0 problems and nearly another 50k miles on the odometer. Love my car =)

Randy

gkubrak (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I feel it is one of the best I have ever owned

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
Hey all,
I encountered a weird problem during a road trip with my 2007 4.2 base convertible. Had to camp out behind a Jaguar Dealer last night, only to find out this morning that they refused to look at cars built before 2011 (steer clear of Bob Moore Jaguar in Oklahoma City). I was at the end of a 12 hour drive in 81 degree weather. The engine temperature warning came up on the display very briefly during hard acceleration, so I promptly pulled over, idled for 5 minutes and then shut it off for 10. No more problems. Fast forward 6 hours it showed up again. This time it didn't go away on it's own before I pulled over and repeated the idle/shutoff procedure outlined in the manual. I checked the reservoir. There was maybe an inch of coolant left in it and no visible leaks. Engine oil looked fine. I added more coolant in an attempt to make the dealership. After arriving at the dealer I noticed the passengers side wheel well was soaked in coolant (possibly from boiling out of the tank after being slightly overfilled.). Again, the engine oil looks fine and she runs like a top. Drove her 7 miles to a little ma and pop shop that would look at her, she held the coolant that I had put in and didn't overheat. Can someone comfort me and tell me that I'm not looking at a new engine like the dealer (who wouldn't look at it) implied? It doesn't make sense to me that if the car is not overheating and the oil looks fine it would need that major of a repair.
I would suggest you contact James at Euro-tech. He is the best there is when it comes to Jaguar service and trouble shooting His number is 405-340-0752
Dick

Old 10-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, Thanks for the support you all, I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I was on a road trip visiting family (why I was in OK in the first place) and didn't have internet. It turned out to be a water pump after all as well as a thermostat and the housing. A little transmission shop was the only place nearby that I could get to look at my car after that dealer shot me down. I'll definitely find the regional thread to post my experience in and probably reach out to Jaguar as well. Again, thanks very much to all of you.

The following 6 users liked this post by Dymaxxion:
guy (10-08-2020), JagRag (10-08-2020), jahummer (10-08-2020), ralphwg (10-08-2020), V7Sport (10-08-2020), wsn03 (10-09-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)