XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The Modding Has Begun!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Yeah, I've been considering spacers. But as nice as these wheels are - a tasteful set of forged wheels - especially with concave and deep lip would make the stockers even with spacers look boring!

I may do spacers until I decide what wheels and of course it can take over a month to have them built too. My understanding however is that on the 11's the 15mm H&R's may not work without some sort of modding - which I forgot what had to be done.
I think this post explains the issue and solution:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rning**-68723/

Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shiney new shoes

Mrr gt-1 20" 8.5/10
255/35/20
285/30/20

Attached Thumbnails The Modding Has Begun!-wall-shot.jpg   The Modding Has Begun!-photo.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I've been considering spacers. But as nice as these wheels are - a tasteful set of forged wheels - especially with concave and deep lip would make the stockers even with spacers look boring!

I may do spacers until I decide what wheels and of course it can take over a month to have them built too. My understanding however is that on the 11's the 15mm H&R's may not work without some sort of modding - which I forgot what had to be done.
So are you gonna share what wheels you bought?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,102 Likes on 775 Posts

Nice job!

I do find myself on the fencepost though.
Note that the curvature of the wheel well does not align the curvature of the tire. Would lowering a little less and using a same diameter or larger diameter tire have a better effect? Reflection time;-)

Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by DpDondero
Mrr gt-1 20" 8.5/10
255/35/20
285/30/20
Fancy!

The following users liked this post:
DpDondero (06-23-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

No idea what your talking about re: curvature not matching... Do explain.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
I think this post explains the issue and solution:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rning**-68723/
Yeah, I think the 15mm spacers are the ticket. Just need to cut the studs down slightly (there is plenty of extra length to the stud before the thread starts). This will make a huge improvement on appearance, especially on a lowered car. I'm tempted to taking a saw to mine. In my opinion, the stock wheels are great....they just need the more aggressive offset via spacers and possibly going with a darker color. Went with dark grey metallic with mine (pic attached). Just need to build up the courage to take a saw to the studs.

20mm could work but I think the rears would be too far out and you would run into rubbing issues on a lowered car (I believe someone posted about having an issue with this when having a passenger and a full tank of gas).

Attached Thumbnails The Modding Has Begun!-img_xkr1.jpg   The Modding Has Begun!-img_xkr2.jpg   The Modding Has Begun!-img_xkr5.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM

I think the issue with the lowered car was with 20mm no? Hence the recommendation to do 15mm.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:56 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,102 Likes on 775 Posts

That is, should I be able to draw 2 parallel semi circles, 1 for the wheel well arch and one for the tire. The centre of course being the centre of the rim. Does is have a bit of a squashed look now??
Like I said, Nice Job. Just some points to ponder

Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a few people are over analysing, the job is only half done. Wait until he has the new rims or spacers then it will look a different beast completely.

ANY car lowered without the arches being filled will look like this.
I've lowered and put rims on every single car I've owned and seen this process many times.

I'll look forward to watching this project progress into a wonderful looking car, as mine is. (with same lowered hight and spacers).

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM

I agree Johnny. That guy guy (pun intended) is not only over-analyzing but he's also seeing things. When I look at the full profile shot the wheels aren't tucked under the fender. The fender is just above the top of the wheel and that same gap seems to follow round the entire wheel. Besides if it looks good it looks good.

Btw, post some pics of yours spaced out!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM

I agree Johnny. That guy guy (pun intended) is not only over-analyzing but he's also seeing things. When I look at the full profile shot the wheels aren't tucked under the fender. The fender is just above the top of the wheel and that same gap seems to follow round the entire wheel. Besides if it looks good it looks good.

I think he doesn't realize that the rear arches have a rock guard on them. Because that piece protrudes out from the car, then on some angles it appears as if the wheel arch isn't round. It's an optical illusion.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Here's mine with 15mm drop and spacers.
A photo with 25mm drop will follow next week (with new exhaust)

Name:  9352319d.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  191.4 KB

Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
Here's mine with 15mm drop and spacers.
I personally feel if a car looks like it's been lowered it's probably been dropped too much. Yours would keep most XKR aficionados guessing with those stock wheels. Great enhancement! It'll be interesting to see if it still pulls off the "stock only better" look with the 25 mm drop.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 AM

To the untrained eye my car doesn't look "lowered". I asked some friends today if they see anything different and they couldn't tell anything. That is another way I know it doesn't look slammed!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drop

Your drop is spot on but the exhaust could be more aggressive.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

To the untrained eye my car doesn't look "lowered". I asked some friends today if they see anything different and they couldn't tell anything. That is another way I know it doesn't look slammed!
It's going to look great with the new wheel treatment as well. If you need to change studs to fit your choice of wheel they aren't difficult to change. I had to do that to fit NSX wheels on my MR2. Their styling was almost undistinguishable from the stock wheel, but their extra width allowed my choice of tire sizes. I used the regular H&R hub-centric spacers (non-Trak type) and needed to go longer to accomodate them. Good luck!

Bruce

Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Gentleman Racer, that you said the exhaust could be more aggressive made me chuckle. Here I am debating if I want to add the resonators back on! And I like it loud! Perhaps the video doesn't do it justice. I bumped into the only XKR-S owner in Dallas. We rev'd and compared. It was clear to us and our wives mine was louder and deeper. But I liked the slightly higher tone on the S. Mine sounds more deep.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM

I love the depth of your exhaust

I'm also impressed how you got your wife involved taking pics, vids and driving the car for you....never in a million years would mine have the patience!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
I love the depth of your exhaust

I'm also impressed how you got your wife involved taking pics, vids and driving the car for you....never in a million years would mine have the patience!

Hell, I'm totally shocked that he ALLOWED his wife to drive the car! :-)

Quick Reply: The Modding Has Begun!