XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The Modding Has Begun!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to be stalking you between this post and the one I just left you re: spacers, but I'm taking the Plasti Dip plunge soon... Just so sick of brake dust I figure I'll have the wheels done (gloss black) and see how she looks. Worst case I have it removed after a while.

But this...

I must admit to being fond of some chrome (or chromed plastic ) on a black car (I'm in a black 2011 Coupe). In fact yesterday a girl complimented me on the car, "especially the neat Jaguar lettering on the back!".

But once the decision is made, is it hard to paint the chrome strip with the Plasti Dip? Do you do the usual: prep, mask, put on 4 or so layers, then either stay matte or put a layer or three of gloss?

I swear, I'm going to black out half the chrome and chrome half the black accents. Like the hood louvers! Always wanted those in chrome (wrap, I guess). Seems like it'd really set off the hood and tie into the chrome colored grille.

Gotta say your car looks wider than mine (from memory) based on the black Jaguar trim. Might just be worth a try, given the 'undo' option.

Tough process?

Skeeter

Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, I tested the look with electrical tame and the car definitely looked wider and more aggressive. Large chrome strips on the back should be left to LS460's and S Class!

Process was super easy. Clean the chrome with alcohol to remove all wax. Then mask the trunk, plate, taillights etc with blue painters tape. Then spray the plastidip in sweeping motions to avoid too much build.

At first it will scare you because the Plastidip seems to bead on the chrome making you think it isn't taking. But keep spraying with sweeps. It eventually coats. Let it try and it self levels too! Let it dry like 15 min then go back and spray as many times as you want before taking the tape off and you're done.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Deal! I just got the dipyourcar kit... But now I saw these:
http://rimringz.com/products.php?product=RIM-RINGZ™ on another post and figured I'd give them a try, primarily as curb rash protection. Like the 'dip, removable, making the decision easier.

Not sure if I will paint the ring black as well or leave it the silverish aluminum color that I ordered... So many decisions. First world problems.

I also inflicted fist damage t the car: came into a hotel entrance to valet the car. Ramp looked very low, I came in a bit too fast I guess and ended up scraping the passenger side bottom of the bumper's lower edge. And the chrome air duct surround popped out. Duct cover snapped backin, no visible damage, though now it isn't as tight a fit as the other one. No missing or bent parts, just doesn't grab as hard as before. Hm...

Should I consider putting a layer of plasti dip on the lower front bumper? That'd save me some paint/body work and protect from future road dings.

So now I gotta wait till the rings show before making changes. This is turning into a project! Think I'm going to have a body/detail shop apply the plasti dip, I'm bad at spraying and can't resist the temptation to go heavy, causing drips. I figure its worth the extra $ to have then take off the wheels, put the rim inserts in, and paint inside and out while the wheels are off of the car.

Thanks Evoking

Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have just ordered some wheels. This is the 3rd set. First was some cheap Ace Wheels. They didn't fit. Although I believe another size would have fit fine. But I didn't like the design on the car.

2nd set was a set of BC Forged. But they wimped out afraid they couldn't guarantee fitment since they couldn't get their hands on my car in Taiwan.

Let's hope this 3rd set works! Should be about 6-8 weeks.