XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Moisture in Headlights '13 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
Most of these cars (many models will get condensation due to changes in atm pressure/weather etc. Run headlights for 5 minutes and it is all gone. Has happened to most vehicles I've owned at one time or another.

BTW your location proved my point. Miami and highly humid as well as salty air..... BTW live on or very near water??
I do live right on the water, although its been fairly dry lately and the car hasn't been in any rain at all. The air pressure changes can definitely have something to do with it as the changes quite often.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ddsski
Your statements are showing a profound level ignorance that wealth cannot account for. Sorry chief.
Excuse me but I just don't want dirty headlights and if this were a 10k new car I'd complain as well. Its unacceptable in any circumstance. Maybe you don't care but but I do.

I'm sorry but if you think this has to do with money please take your smart *** comments elsewhere, this has to do with a faulty part/system that I'm not putting up with.

Good day

The following 3 users liked this post by MaximA:
DGL (03-23-2014), Lothar52 (03-14-2014), mjsammon (03-26-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
My headlights are not sealed to the atmosphere, so I suppose humid days followed by cold nights could very well lead to condensation inside the headlamp. Wouldn't condensation be perfectly clean water with no impurities? I don't see how it could stain unless the inside of your lamp was dirty already for some reason. Regardless, if the inside of the lamp is dirty, you can clean it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adlamp-110636/

Alternatively keeping it garaged or running the headlights when it's outside in the humidity would, I would guess, keep the inside of the lamp dry.
Thats where I'm a bit baffled as condensation should be clean, but I wonder if living near the water its actually salt water condensation. That film could be salt, which is even worse considering the electronics inside headlight.

Last edited by MaximA; 03-14-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I live in an ultra dry desert climate and have had no problems with moisture building up in the lenses. My 2009 headlights look like they just rolled out of the production line.

I think your problem may be due to the excessive moisture and salt conditions of living in a damp climate like south Florida. Midwest conditions would be the same I know, no salt water but lots of moisture and excessive dampness. I am from the Chicago area originally. Same with Nova Scotia.

Is your car garage kept? when not driving it.

Salt water air when dry will create a white residue.

Big problem is you can't clean it off from the inside which I am sure adds to alot of frustration.

I would assume that there are very few related problems with Jaguar owners living in the southwest or other dry climatic geographical locations.
Its in a garage at night and at the office. I'm starting to think its the salt water condensation but that makes it even worse.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
There's no excuse for poor design. When design fails customer service needs to kick in. All Nissan models including my GT-R headlights are covered under warranty for moisture problems. Jaguar should issue a customer recall to fix this problem. Jaguar needs to go beyond acceptable industry customer service to overcome their reliability stigma. It's poor customer service like what I hear on this thread that will keep the brand in the dark...
THIS is my biggest issue, the service. I've had this happen to may friends with all kinds of different cars and the dealer replaced or somehow fixed the issue. I'm being told to deal with it by my service advisor. Thats all around unacceptable customer service, at least offer some kind of solution.

Also my point about there prior service and the fact I never looked at Jag was due to this. They are making some great cars but their service needs to an overhaul.

On top of this the musty smell in my A/C started coming back yesterday one month after I had the evaporator replaced for the same thing.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
Try taking the attached to the dealer
You just made my day I knew this wasn't normal and now have a official jaguar document to prove it.

I just went down to detail my car can there was no condensation but a very clear milky film staring from the top working down.

I want to thank all of you for your input on this and every topic. This is one of the best car forums on the internet and its due to great helpful members like yourselves.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (03-23-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Anyone know how far back this condition began to be an issue? It almost seems like a driving hazard, thus, a safety issue?

MaximA (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Of course its salt water related. You live in Miami! Sorry but I was just amazed that you didn't figure this out on your own. Only being a smart *** because you were being a ...bass. Is both headlights or only one? That would be more indicative of defect v extreme location. Hell, I was visiting my folks in Florida over Xmas a few hours north (under protest as I hate the southern climate) and was 10miles inland. We washed my X5 when I got there and 3 days later it was covered with a sticky salty brine that smeared . Your climate is murder on a car. We may rot out up north but you folks fade out down south. Any toime its damp, your cars are covered in a salty dew in the morning.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Hey smartass you not read the TSB concerning this as a valid issue? Or do not read and insult people for a living.

If you have nothing to add please disappear. Again its NOT the moisture its the staining that gets worse and worse. Jag has ALREADY noted this as an PROBLEM and issued a bulletin.

I also don't have dew on my car so please stop speculating on me, and my car.

Good bye!

Last edited by MaximA; 03-14-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Try taking the attached to the dealer

THAT IS GOLDEN.... I AM TAKING BOTH MY XK's TO THE DEALER NEXT WEEK!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
ddsski (03-15-2014), DGL (03-23-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

I live in Ohio...so this is NOT a "Florida" problem. It has nothing to do with salt.

The following 3 users liked this post by Lothar52:
DGL (03-23-2014), MaximA (03-14-2014), Muddydog (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Well heck I just went out to my XKR and looked...drove it to work today. Can really make out much staining...hmmmm...not sure they would go for switching that one out cause its hardly noticable. Will check the XKR-S tonight. This is a problem though...I can see over the next 10 yrs its gonna keep being a worse and worse problem. What do I do...tell them to order 2 sets of headlights to replace in 5 yrs when the film builds up?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Dealer just called me and said they will order two new lights... The GM whom is a friend said the service advisor had no business arguing with me about it as its a known issue. It doesn't happen on all cars but is a defect on some of the assemblies. If it lasts 6 months without issue you are lucky and have a good assembly.

OK mission one for today complete Again thank you all for the input, if it wasn't for this forum I'd pull my hair out.

WOW now the Service Advisor is being a tool because the service manager came down on him about this. Why is good customer service so damn rare. Frustrating

Last edited by MaximA; 03-14-2014 at 09:39 AM.
DGL (03-23-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I live in Ohio...so this is NOT a "Florida" problem. It has nothing to do with salt.
Thank you sir!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Anyone know how far back this condition began to be an issue? It almost seems like a driving hazard, thus, a safety issue?

Hey guys,
Never mind this request. I read the details of the TSD and it's for the 2012s and later. Happy Motoring....

Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
overly hazed lights are a huge safety concern and the major selling point of all the products to clean externally fogged headlights.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Maxima. It looks like if you take the technical bulletin to your Jaguar dealer while calling Jaguar USA concerige service to complain and let them know your going to the dealership...this should get taken care of with. Explain to them simply that you are "unhappy", and this could affect future Jaguar purchases. This is not twisting anybody's arm...because as you have stated. IT WILL CAUSE YOU TO BE UNHAPPY AND AFFECT FUTURE JAGUAR PURCHASES. Your telling them the truth and replacing these headlamps is the only remedy. That being said... i got a feeling this problem is going to continue!!! I wonder if the dealership can removed the headlights and find where they were defective.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

I sent the bulletin to the dealership GM and he called me from his vacation to tell me he contacted the Service manager, who said he will order the parts right away. This was an issue with the Service Advisor as I've seen him be fairly nasty to customers in the past.

I don't think he realised the GM is good friend of mine and of course that should not matter. Jag needs to fix their public perception of bad service if they expect to keep people like us as customers and still increase market share.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

MaximA, you can get tossers like that at any manufacturer's dealership. I saw one of my colleagues get a royal run-around from a prestigious Merc dealer, simply because she wasn't car-savvy and they realised she would believe what they told her. When she told us what was going on, we were able to give her the information and ammunition she needed to get her (quite significant) issues sorted under warranty, as they should have been.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have some staining in both my jags but its not that bad... both are still under manufacturer warranty. I supposed I should take them both over and complain.

Quick Reply: Moisture in Headlights '13 XKR