XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Moisture in Headlights '13 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
Yup mines back as well.
What do you think we should do? Go back and demand they replace them again and this time fix the problem???

Loth

Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Good question, at this point its a design flaw and with no new XK models I really doubt Jag would do anything at all. Probably have to find some other solution to this irritating problem.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Not sure of this is a solution but some months ago I had the taillights on the Rover replaced and the new ones developed moisture fogging within the first week. The Rover dealer printed a TSB that stated moisture was normal and they would not replace them again. I was pissed but didn't want to press it any further. After leaving the truck in the sun for several days, eventually the moisture disappeared and never returned. Perhaps open your headlights via the rear caps and leave them in the sun/heat for a few days, close them back up and put them back on the car?

I have never had moisture in any of my Jags though.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'll give that a try if it ever stops raining for more then 8 hours.. This summer has been a mess here.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

I'll give that a try if it ever stops raining for more then 8 hours.. This summer has been a mess here.
Hmm..where are the "caps" to open the headlights???

Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Circular black covers, like jar lids, on the back & side of the headlight assembly, accessed from under the hood.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

I feel like telling them to replace and then never driving in the dark with it so as not to ever have to turn them on to cause the condensation!!! :O

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I feel like telling them to replace and then never driving in the dark with it so as not to ever have to turn them on to cause the condensation!!! :O
Condensation happened again today causing unsightly streaking when not even having the xenon headlights on...wtf!!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

The condensation is fine that is understandable, but to have a car with 6k miles on it that has milky headlights at all times of the day is annoying. The stains it leaves behind are very noticeable.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

I dont get it..never had a car that simply driving it during the day without headlights on that condensation would develop causing internal staining of the light apparatus. They have already been replaced once for LESS staining then that... I have pictures and will post later.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

The condensation is fine that is understandable, but to have a car with 6k miles on it that has milky headlights at all times of the day is annoying. The stains it leaves behind are very noticeable.
Max did u contact your dealership and tell them its back? I have not done anythign yet. I was watching it occur on my XKR...had not taken the RS out for a long time until I did a 100 mile trip yesterday and wow did they condense up - like i said WITHOUT the xenon headlamps even being turned on.... condensation all on its own just out in the hot sun.

Loth

Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't taken the car to the dealer again yet as I've been pretty busy but plan to do so within the next few weeks. I have one new and one old headlight and they both now are covered in haze with the older one looking worse.

What's interesting is my Range Rover does not condense or stain in any weather.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 941 Likes on 615 Posts

My headlights are starting to streak in the very front of both. My car is always garaged and never driven in the rain. However, my LED daytime running lights are always on--it's the law in Canada. I can't understand why Jaguar hasn't fixed this properly. I'll take my car in to the dealer to inspect in a few months when I get the oil changed. I have 4,300 miles on my car and my car is rarely driven at night.

Last edited by DGL; 08-27-2014 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
My headlights are starting to streak in the very front of both. My car is always garaged and never driven in the rain. However, my LED daytime running lights are always on--it's the law in Canada. I can't understand why Jaguar hasn't fixed this properly. I'll take my car in to the dealer to inspect in a few months when I get the oil changed. I have 4,300 miles on my car and my car is rarely driven at night.
It shouldnt happen..not on this quality of car... I wonder what the problem is...

Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Took the XKRS out again for an over 100 miles cruise... Did quite well ... WHAT AN AMAZING CAR. kept the xenon lamps off just used daytime running lights. What about 80 with 70% humidity... Sure enough the headlights fogged up again making more streaks and worse streaks then before replacement.... Good Lord!!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yours is worse than mine, and we are both in high humidity. I'm right on the ocean for that matter.

The headlights are the last thing I need addressed, the rest of the car is perfect.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 AM
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all

I started to look this thread as I have had the same problem myself. I like the part in the beginning where one of you talk about the streaks that the condensation causes. I had the problem after washing my 99 XKR. This year, I finally got round to upgrading to HIDs and although condensation was not the reason for the upgrade, I did expect it to be gone with the 'new' lights. But no, one of them still mists up.

I did the following:

a) Squirted pressurised air into the one that was misted up to solve the issue for the moment.

b) I opened up the back (like some others suggest) to let the lights breathe.

That has pretty well cured things for me. For this reason, I haven't yet taken another step that I read as a cure somewhere - this is to drill a 1" hole in the access caps on the top. Yes I know this is silly in a way; why have the sealed caps if you need to 'unseal' them. If it solves the problem, you can chose your poison!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

OK, so we know why condensation forms - the warmth from the bulbs or from the engine evaporates water inside the sealed lamp housing, ad it condenses on the cooler outside surface of the light. The thing I'm not clear on is: if the housing is sealed, why is there any water in there?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 941 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
OK, so we know why condensation forms - the warmth from the bulbs or from the engine evaporates water inside the sealed lamp housing, ad it condenses on the cooler outside surface of the light. The thing I'm not clear on is: if the housing is sealed, why is there any water in there?

The water is naturally in the air and as you said when the warmer air meets the cooler headlight surface it condenses. When the warmer air inside the headlight hits the cooler headlight lens it cools and can not hold the same amount of water and releases it on the headlight. Obviously, the headlight is not completely sealed acting as a vacuum because new moisture holding air is getting into the headlight to become heated and to condense on to the in side of the lens.

Drilling a hole should serve to help circulate air thus reducing the temperature difference and relieving the problem to a certain amount. If it will completely correct the problem remains to be seen.

Given the number of owner's experiencing this problem and the degree of it Jaguar should be able to offer a solution without replacing the headlights. Surely the existing lights can be disassembled, cleaned, and the headlights reassembled in such a way to prevent this problem. This problem happens weather quickly in all conditions and obviously is a design defect.

I have a solution: We can all adapt hoses from our A/C to condition the air inside the headlights. LOL

Last edited by DGL; 08-31-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

But if that's the case, the water naturally in the air should be condensing all over your car all the time. Heating up the moist air doesn't make it more moist, it just makes it warmer, and when it cools down, it should hold the same amount of water it originally did. Therefore, either the air is wetter or the surface is colder.

So, I have two alternative explanations:
  • The warmed air may be picking up extra water, but that leaves us with the mystery of where it comes from.
  • The headlamp may below ambient temperature, causing moisture to condense out of the ambient air. The only thing I can think of is that the front cover may be cooled by the airflow when the car is moving, thus providing a cold surface that leads to condensation. But why doesn't that happen with all XKs in a humid climate?

Quick Reply: Moisture in Headlights '13 XKR