XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Moisture in Headlights '13 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
But if that's the case, the water naturally in the air should be condensing all over your car all the time. Heating up the moist air doesn't make it more moist, it just makes it warmer, and when it cools down, it should hold the same amount of water it originally did. Therefore, either the air is wetter or the surface is colder.

So, I have two alternative explanations:
  • The warmed air may be picking up extra water, but that leaves us with the mystery of where it comes from.
  • The headlamp may below ambient temperature, causing moisture to condense out of the ambient air. The only thing I can think of is that the front cover may be cooled by the airflow when the car is moving, thus providing a cold surface that leads to condensation. But why doesn't that happen with all XKs in a humid climate?

I am at a loss but I've had 2 sets replaced and still we have the problem!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Oh, there's obviously a difference between the pre-MY12 and MY12-onwards headlamps. The primary explanation seems to be the anti-misting coating inside them, which appears to misbehave when exposed to condensation. Since there doesn't seem to be a specific fix for that, I was just wondering if the problem could be attacked from the opposite angle: stopping the condensation. That lead to speculating on why some people see condensation and others don't.

One thought I had was that a small leak in the headlamp washer system could lead to additional moisture in the headlamp assembly. However, looking at the pictures in the manual, it does seem to be just bolted onto the bottom of the headlamp, so it isn't inside the sealed case. Can anyone confirm that from experience?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok guys, so firstly full disclosure, obviously I don't own an XK / XKR but have experience this issue on another car.

I had issues with the rear light cluster on my Audi A6, This started as very minor misting that soon grew into full blown condensation and even water droplets forming into pools.
Visiting the dealer I demanded they be replaced under warranty and they grudgingly were, only for the issues to reappear.
Audi's comments were, yes you guessed it "this is perfectly normal and use of the lights and heat from the bulbs will soon disperse the condensation"

I promptly told them that I had never had this issues with "lesser" cars both new and used and thought it was the biggest load of hogwash I'd ever heard.
The refused to replace them again under warranty.

Suffice to say I kicked up such a stink that I eventually had 7, YES 7 SETS replaced under warranty. As soon as they'd fail I'd immediately be back at their door.

Tiring of this, I eventually tried remedies of my own, everything from silicone sealant to try and completely & fully seal the units - failed.
I also added a few of those silicone gel packs to see if that would work - fail.

I eventually tired of the whole thing and how this issue let my car down.I took a household drill and drilled approx. 12 or more 3mm holes In the base of the light unit and removed and trace of sealant and replaced on the car.
A heavy and prolonged soaking with a garden hose produced only minimal misting which cleared rapidly. Even after extremely heavy rain with the cold / damp atmosphere that accompanies it, I only ever had the slightest of mistings which very quicky cleared....Never ever had full blown condensation issues / water droplets again, ever.

That was a around 3-4 years ago and probably 60k miles, still all good

It's not obviously ideal or what anyone wants to have to do, but in the face of no other real fixes, it may be something to consider?

Cheers
Jim

The following users liked this post:
RedRider48 (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 03:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Thanks for your comments Jim. Please explain this "I took a household drill and drilled approx. 12 or more 3mm holes In the base of the light unit and removed and trace of sealant and replaced on the car".

resident_fng (02-23-2024)
Old 04-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Funny this thread just came up again!! I just went to my dealership yesterday to arrange an apt regarding the recall. Then i showed him AGAIN my 12 XKR and 13 XKR-S are having fogging problems in the already replaced headlamps. I think he is going to see if they can be replaced again. I am SICK of IT!!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Thanks for your comments Jim. Please explain this "I took a household drill and drilled approx. 12 or more 3mm holes In the base of the light unit and removed and trace of sealant and replaced on the car".
Rear lights showing extreme condensation....
Name:  LHreverselightsshowingextremecondensation1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  lightcondebsation.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  45.3 KB

Picture showing lights drilled for airflow...
Name:  1-8.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  141.1 KB

After drilling.....
Name:  rearlightsdrilled.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  194.9 KB

Video of lights being thoroughly soaked.....
http://vid140.photobucket.com/albums...hedinwater.mp4

Video of lights dried and end result
http://vid140.photobucket.com/albums...ightsdried.mp4

I know its not the same car and I know its the front you guys are having issues with, not the rear but its still the same issue and perhaps worthwhile considering or checking out?

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Panthro (08-05-2016), ralphwg (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Did you redo the silicone seal Jim?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hi DGL.....

Here's how the sealant looked.........obviously not noticeable once replaced on the vehicle.
This made absolutely zero difference.

Name:  lightsclearsiliconebead.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  51.2 KB

I also tried the gel pack fix too, pic below...

Name:  silicagelpacks.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  46.5 KB

Useless.
I only drilled the lights as a last resort in sheer frustration.

In response to your question, I removed all traces of the silicone as it had no effect whatsoever.

Although I started the thread on my Audi forum, which now has 372 replies and 44,291 views it was actually another member who came up with the idea.
I simply tried it and all was good, many have since taken this measure with equally positive results.

Please be advised, I'm not necessarily offering this up as THE solution, simply as one you may look into further and consider.
Certainly worked for me and dozens of others.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

+1 for JimC64's solution.

A couple of years ago, my mother complained of water in her Ford Torus' headlights. An acquaintance of hers, who used to work in a Ford garage, told her that the solution they always used was to drill a small hole in the bottom of the housing, for drainage and airflow.
It seemed counter-intuitive, but she let a friend drill a hole in the housings, and she hasn't had a problem since then.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
+1 for JimC64's solution.

A couple of years ago, my mother complained of water in her Ford Torus' headlights. An acquaintance of hers, who used to work in a Ford garage, told her that the solution they always used was to drill a small hole in the bottom of the housing, for drainage and airflow.
It seemed counter-intuitive, but she let a friend drill a hole in the housings, and she hasn't had a problem since then.

As stated, this is only one possible option, please check all others before proceeding, I know I did everything else before trying this, and it turned out to be the best solution, the only solution that worked - for me

Few threads below that discuss this....

Car talk forum - headlight issues
http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9...0EqZ8Bq4gKBspw-

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...4014320AAdaT77

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9...rVtqplMv1XHeYc-

I know it really does sound counter intuitive, but is what it is.

When I removed mine, I used a wooden spoon or similar with kitchen towel on the end to soak up as much water as possible ( if it's particularly bad )
Then I used a hairdryer for approx. 20-30 mins to COMPLETELY dry the unit.
** Being extra careful not to allow the heat to stay in one particular place for any length of time....end result, DRY light assy
Having read some of the posts, I know its common sense but obviously DO NOT drill the glass / plastic
Its only a few small holes at the BOTTOM of the unit housing ( and perhaps one at the top - although I did not do this! )
Refit and test

Should all be good.

I just wanted to add - Its only an idea guys, something I did that worked for me, and also many others.
It's your car, your choice at the end of the day, just trying to help and put options out there

Old 04-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

I can appreciate this.... but why doesnt the manufacterer that Jaguar ordered these from just correct the problem on subsequent replacements??? Cant they properly vent the casings??? Im sure if you mess up drilling the light due to the manufacterer problem and crack something Jaguar will not be willing to replace!!

Loth

JimC64 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I can appreciate this.... but why doesnt the manufacterer that Jaguar ordered these from just correct the problem on subsequent replacements??? Cant they properly vent the casings??? Im sure if you mess up drilling the light due to the manufacterer problem and crack something Jaguar will not be willing to replace!!

Loth

Loth - bang on IMO too, but it is what it s I'm afraid
I was the same with my A6, stuck like that for about 3 years and I'm pretty sure the problem may still persist with some of the later models, not sure about anything a year or 2 old to be fair though.......

It speaks volumes about the issues when I spoke to the parts guy ( who I was very friendly with )
Audi only had something like 231 in stock.....ONLY 231!!!

Kinda tells you they knew there was an issue and were stocking for it?

I just annoyed them daily / weekly etc whatever was required and went through 7 or 8 sets ( all under warranty mind ) I demanded warranty and only got it through constant fighting my corner

Once outwith the warranty period I did my own fix as previously posted. If I had done it within warranty and it hadn't worked obviously I would've been responsible for replacements

Old 04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

This is why im buying the 7 yr 100k mile warranty this december at my jaguar dealership for my XKR.. no doubt about it!!!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

There is apparently a new JTB from Sept 2014 stating that condensation in the headlamps and taillamps is a natural phenomenon of the atmosphere and normal for our headlamps (This causes staining and there is a JTB to replace the headlamps if we dont like the amount of staining..not the case anymore). Ive never had headlights do this on any other car in Ohio before ... At any rate they are saying that if the headlamps work and not blocked by the staining do NOT replace unless there are large water droplets and or standing water (but then they mention streaking as well and I have had this?). :O... Ughhh. Not sure what to think about this...

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 05-26-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I've seen condensation, i.e. simple misting, in headlights on many cars - provided it doesn't accumulate in significant quantities or cause corrosion, it's harmless (though perhaps a little alarming and not pretty). My XK8 used to exhibit it from time to time, with no ill effects. However, the streaking is something new, and the assumption is that it's caused by the coating applied to 2012+ XKs that was supposed to stop the (visible) condensation.

It depends on the exact wording of the JTB - if it says streaking is a justification for replacement, then you may have a case. However, I suspect that it will say "severe streaking" or "excessive streaking", which means it's down to the dealer to make a judgement call, and that's trickier.

Lothar52 (05-27-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

The Sept 2014 update seemed to state that condensation is normal. I just wish we could tell how much staining is considered normal...if any...It does say "streaking" is a cause for replacement. I have had streaks in both the XKR and XKRS... it has "occurred" but to what extent are they requiring is the issue.

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 05-28-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

That being said.... if its just going to happen again why bother replacing!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
The Sept 2014 update seemed to state that condensation is normal.........

Loth

Lol, funnily enough Audi tried that one on me too, I laughed in their face AFTER calming down from being so insulted.
Never in all my years have I been told that condensation of this type was "normal" and to be expected.

Lothar52 (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Ive owned 3 infiniti's... NEVER have I EVER seen any condensation in the headlamps.... ????