XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

More Battery Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

My Mercedes acts like this with strange lights turning on, like tail lights, etc. The cause for the Mercedes is usually water under the back seat where there are some electronics. Water is from a window being open or the door ajar during a rainstorm. (I have kids...)

So if your battery is good, maybe look for water intrusion somewhere.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
Simon, did you leave the headlights turned on, or did they turn on by themselves?
Nope, they were on auto. It was raining the last couple of days so hadn't driven or done anything with the car since Monday, and Thursday morning was when I found the lights on.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Each operation of the remote top consumes LESS THAN 1/3 of 1% of a healthy battery's charge.
There has to have been something else then. My CTEK went through the full reconditioning program overnight, and the battery is staying at 11.9. Will take the battery back to Sears (assuming they're still around), and see what they say since the battery's only a couple months old.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Tan

There has to have been something else then. My CTEK went through the full reconditioning program overnight, and the battery is staying at 11.9. Will take the battery back to Sears (assuming they're still around), and see what they say since the battery's only a couple months old.
Yea sounds like a defective battery. The AGM should hold up well in the conditions you described. I'm sure Sears will warranty it.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Nope, they were on auto. It was raining the last couple of days so hadn't driven or done anything with the car since Monday, and Thursday morning was when I found the lights on.

11.9 sounds like you have a bad cell.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Each operation of the remote top consumes LESS THAN 1/3 of 1% of a healthy battery's charge.
I'm not suggesting it's your module, just from experience that a dodgy battery after putting the roof up or down a few times can leave insufficient charge to start the car.
That's what happened with mine. New battery sorted it.

The module itself is great.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The CTEK battery maintainer is powered by household AC. If you park on the street and don't have access to AC power, Amazon sells solar powered trickle chargers with solar panels mounted inside the vehicle. But they don't work anywhere near as well as a CTEK.
This might be the route I have to go for now. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Went to the garage this morning and found both headlights on.
Simon,
I experienced headlights going on by themselves for no apparent reason.This of course would cause your battery to drain. Please read my earlier post. Dealer action resolved the problem.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ar-off-168512/