XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

My dealer Oil change and shop rate

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Default My dealer Oil change and shop rate

OK so I have a breakdown of my dealers rate for an oil change on a 2010-2015 XKR. This dealer is in Albany NY. their normal shop rate is $126 per hour. The oil change is as follows:
Part No. C2D3670 , Filter Oil $46.62
Part No. 06258 Castrol 5W-20 AJ V8 Gen III $9.51/qt x8 = $76.08
Labor $39.95

SubTotal $162.65

Tax $13.02

Total $175.67

Just an FYI

Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Does an oil change really take 8 quarts? That's quite a lot.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by nasomi
Does an oil change really take 8 quarts? That's quite a lot.
Yup.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Castrol 5W-30 Walmart - $25.17 for 5 qt bottle = $51.35
Jag Oil Filter -
Amazon w/ free shipping Amazon w/ free shipping
= $26
Total is $78 for parts if bought yourself.

Actual labor time should not exceed 1/2 hour for any indi or dealership. Sounds like you actually got a good price considering it was a dealership... as we've seen here oil change rates can vary GREATLY. If they're decent they will install those very same parts for you purchased elsewhere as long as it is OEM parts and approved oil. I don't recall if the 5.0L needed a suction or if it has the oil pan plug, if it's a suction only then maybe 15 min job. Though that's a good rate for a dealership I still stand by my belief that dealership work on an actual rate of $400/hr - $77 for parts, $100 labor for their 15 mins = $400/hr actual

Last edited by Leeper; 02-12-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Castrol 5W-30 Walmart - $25.17 for 5 qt bottle = $51.35
Jag Oil Filter - Amazon w/ free shipping = $26
Total is $78 for parts if bought yourself.

Actual labor time should not exceed 1/2 hour for any indi or dealership. Sounds like you actually got a good price considering it was a dealership... as we've seen here oil change rates can vary GREATLY. If they're decent they will install those very same parts for you purchased elsewhere as long as it is OEM parts and approved oil. I don't recall if the 5.0L needed a suction or if it has the oil pan plug, if it's a suction only then maybe 15 min job. Though that's a good rate for a dealership I still stand by my belief that dealership work on an actual rate of $400/hr - $77 for parts, $100 labor for their 15 mins = $400/hr actual
Went over this with the service manager and the labor time is based on 19 minutes for getting the car , driving into the service bay , suction out the oil, remove and clean filter housing , get new filter cartridge , install , pump in oil , check for leaks and return to lot. As for parts it's going to be a mark up for the jaguar on the box. For oil as I don't have a Walmart around me it's $8.41/quart for 5W-20 at my Autozone. So next time maybe I'll do it for under a hundred but that will be next year so maybe I'll not want to do it then. As for your $400 theory I can't see how you calculate it. Seems like fuzzy math to me.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Banned

Do you have a Home Depot near you?
Castrol 5W30 @ Home Depot - $25.77 for 5qts you need 2 so $51.50 - I was surprised to see that most Home Depot's now have a decent auto section. Those are standard prices not the deals that Walmart and others often have. Plus you'll have 2.7qts left over as the car uses 7.2-7.3 qts

Oil filter was $26 at Amazon, didn't look elsewhere perhaps could be found cheaper. These are the same parts used not lesser aftermarket stuff (official OEM Jaguar on the box). Thats ALL the parts needed which comes to $76 purchased without the huge mark-up. Your total was $175.67 - $76 parts purchase price elsewhere that leaves labor of $100. The job takes maybe 15 mins at most using their suction method, more if drain plug method but they are using a suction at a dealer therefore $100 labor / .25 hrs actual time needed to complete the job = $400/hr. You would need to dump the oil yourself at some point.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Castrol 5W30 @ Home Depot - $25.77 for 5qts you need 2 so $51.50 - I was surprised to see that most Home Depot's now have a decent auto section. Those are standard prices not the deals that Walmart and others often have. Plus you'll have 2.7qts left over as the car uses 7.2-7.3 qts

Oil filter was $26 at Amazon, didn't look elsewhere perhaps could be found cheaper. These are the same parts used not lesser aftermarket stuff (official OEM Jaguar on the box). Thats ALL the parts needed which comes to $76 purchased without the huge mark-up. Your total was $175.67 - $76 parts purchase price elsewhere that leaves labor of $100. The job takes maybe 15 mins at most using their suction method, more if drain plug method but they are using a suction at a dealer therefore $100 labor / .25 hrs actual time needed to complete the job = $400/hr. You would need to dump the oil yourself at some point.
Sorry leeper we'll just leave at disagreeing with your numbers and the dealers. It seem our business financials differ to some degree . You are mixing apples with oranges. I did mention that the labor was 19 minutes which came to $39. Parts are parts so using your costs of $76 the total would be $115 + tax so maybe $125 or net savings of $50. Maybe others will chime in and show their costs from their dealers or independents.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:42 AM
Banned

Where am I wrong? Your dealer charged you $46.22 for the very same filter that could be had from Amazon for $26 shipped (I didn't check to see if it could be had elsewhere). The oil you paid 8 x $9.51 a quart for can be had at Home Depot or Walmart for $26 for 5 quarts - am I wrong so far? How is this "Apples to Oranges" and not apples to apples? Could you have brought both of those to the service dept and had them install those? I don't concern myself with what dealers or indi's charge as more often than not they will accept OEM and approved parts bought elsewhere as long as they can make their $$$ on the labor. "Convenience has it's costs" and it should (hence why 7-11 is in business). You got a good deal as far as dealerships go, and a fair deal as far as indi's go, but make no mistake you paid a convenience charge. The parts were @$78 what was left over from your $178 bill would be $100 am I wrong here? Fuzzy math please enlighten me if so. Are "Parts not parts" here? Do dealer parts have some added intrinsic value?

$178 total bill - $78 in parts. Now sorry if I do not add in a mechanic walking to get your car, walking to the parts counter to get said oil filter... how much time was taken to actually to the supposed oil change? You said 19 minutes including everything right? Where's the fuzzy math? Not sure what comparing what others have paid has anything to do with this.. of course they likely paid more, how is that relevant? Again, what you paid is a good price for a dealership oil service, and probably average compared to what an indi would charge, but I stand by my statement that they charged you roughly $400/for the labor when you figure in what you could have bought the parts for elsewhere and how long the service took the mechanic

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Where am I wrong? Your dealer charged you $46.22 for the very same filter that could be had from Amazon for $26 shipped (I didn't check to see if it could be had elsewhere). The oil you paid 8 x $9.51 a quart for can be had at Home Depot or Walmart for $26 for 5 quarts - am I wrong so far? How is this "Apples to Oranges" and not apples to apples? Could you have brought both of those to the service dept and had them install those? I don't concern myself with what dealers or indi's charge as more often than not they will accept OEM and approved parts bought elsewhere as long as they can make their $$$ on the labor. "Convenience has it's costs" and it should (hence why 7-11 is in business). You got a good deal as far as dealerships go, and a fair deal as far as indi's go, but make no mistake you paid a convenience charge. The parts were @$78 what was left over from your $178 bill would be $100 am I wrong here? Fuzzy math please enlighten me if so. Are "Parts not parts" here? Do dealer parts have some added intrinsic value?

$178 total bill - $78 in parts. Now sorry if I do not add in a mechanic walking to get your car, walking to the parts counter to get said oil filter... how much time was taken to actually to the supposed oil change? You said 19 minutes including everything right? Where's the fuzzy math? Not sure what comparing what others have paid has anything to do with this.. of course they likely paid more, how is that relevant? Again, what you paid is a good price for a dealership oil service, and probably average compared to what an indi would charge, but I stand by my statement that they charged you roughly $400/for the labor when you figure in what you could have bought the parts for elsewhere and how long the service took the mechanic
The apples vs oranges relate to parts is parts and labor is labor. They don't mix nor change the hourly rate. As for bring your own parts no dealer around here and even my buddies repair shop doesn't let the customer bring their own stuff. So we've taken enough of everyone's time , enjoy the day.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Jagtoes, thanks for providing a breakdown for comparison. I don't know my local rates and since every dealer is independent they could vary considerably.

Other than that, no comment, I don't spend a lot of time crunching numbers on minor operational costs. If I had my car in for something else I would gladly pay that rate.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Went over this with the service manager and the labor time is based on 19 minutes for getting the car , driving into the service bay , suction out the oil, remove and clean filter housing , get new filter cartridge , install , pump in oil , check for leaks and return to lot.

That's his way of providing a rationalization of a (reasonable, in this case) labor charge when someone is actually interested enough to ask.

In reality the $39.95 charge almost certainly has *nothing whatsoever* to do with time spent x posted labor rate. Many routine maintenance jobs are priced that way in the car repair business. $39.95 labor for an oil change, $109.95 labor for a coolant flush, 139.95 labor for a 4 wheel alignment, etc. It has nothing to do with labor time guides, actual time spent on the car, flat rate hours, etc.

If he wanted to be more candid he would've simply replied "That's just what we charge".

Most shops, dealer and indy, use a *variety* of methods to calculate labor charges.....not the least of which is the "Hmmm. That sounds about right" method.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Castrol 5W30 @ Home Depot - $25.77 for 5qts you need 2 so $51.50 - .
Leeper u are way off base. U repeatedly referenced the suction method on this car. This year vehicle is drain plug only.

I couldnt suck my 2014 xkr dry on my best days!

I have a big problem with folks that post conjecture, such as yourself.

If you cant post facts, then please dont post. It can cause others to make costly mistakes.

Jagtoes tried to enlightenon costs. I dont think he was looking to start a sh**storm

Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR....4.2L engine.

Oil Filter @ Amazon is $12.00 for a premium K&N Filter #1014

Amazon.com: K&N HP-1014 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: K&N HP-1014 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter: Automotive

The Oil for the 2009 Jaguar XKR can be bought at Walmart (Castrol Synthetic) after rebate from Castrol total expense is: $26.00 5W30 for 5 quarts. Then there is usually a rebate for a total of 8 quarts purchased.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-10...-5-qt/34997877

Cost to have the oil filter removed, oil drained, oil replaced and new filter installed is $26.00 at any Jiffy Lube with a coupon found on-line that they have every day of the week.

This 2009 Jaguar XKR is nothing special. It is just like any other normal car that has a removable canister filter. Go to their website. It is called "Signature Service".

All the Jiffy lube installers have to do is remove the plastic cover from the underneath, unscrew the old filter, drain the oil, replace the oil filter, fill with oil.

Filter: $12.00
Oil: $29.00 after rebates
Labor: $26.00
Total: $67.00

My local Jaguar dealer (Garcia Jaguar-El Paso, TX) charges $140.00

The brand Jaguar might be a prestige car thus having to pay more for service at a Jaguar dealer than other brands. When it comes down to a basic oil change the Jaguar is just like any other car.

I have used my local Jiffy Lube store for many years. They change the oil in my 2014 Porsche 981, 2009 Jaguar XKR, 2014 Ford F-150 and my wife's 2012 Hyundai Tucson. My 2015 Corvette C7 goes in for the first 4 free oil changes from GM. Then thereafter, you can probably figure out who will be changing the oil in the Corvette in the future.

There is no need to spend unwarranted $$ unless you as an individual feeling better by going to the dealership.

It's your money. I spend mine wisely.

Last edited by richzak; 02-13-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Thank You!

2,4,6 trinitro ... if federal law didn't prohibit it ... I'd FedEx you a case of your favorite beer, wine or scotch! Nuff said?

Lothar52 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2,4,6,trinitro
Leeper u are way off base. U repeatedly referenced the suction method on this car. This year vehicle is drain plug only.

I couldnt suck my 2014 xkr dry on my best days!

I have a big problem with folks that post conjecture, such as yourself.

If you cant post facts, then please dont post. It can cause others to make costly mistakes.

Jagtoes tried to enlightenon costs. I dont think he was looking to start a sh**storm
2,4,6 just an FYI the 5.0L engine (don't know about the 4.2) is designed with an oil extraction tube under the oil fill cap. It was designed to end at the lowest point in the pan and they even have a Jaguar vacuum pump unit to extract the oil . I saw the dealer using it and it's a slick setup. Same with the fill process they just pump in less then 8 quarts and start it up and after system is checked top off. I uses a manual 9 quart vacuum extractor which I just stick a tube down the dipstick tube on my other vehicles.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR....4.2L engine.

Oil Filter @ Amazon is $12.00 for a premium K&N Filter #1014

Amazon.com: K&N HP-1014 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter: Automotive

The Oil for the 2009 Jaguar XKR can be bought at Walmart (Castrol Synthetic) after rebate from Castrol total expense is: $26.00 5W30 for 5 quarts. Then there is usually a rebate for a total of 8 quarts purchased.

Castrol 10W30 Edge Extended Performance with Titanium Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt - Walmart.com

Cost to have the oil filter removed, oil drained, oil replaced and new filter installed is $26.00 at any Jiffy Lube with a coupon found on-line that they have every day of the week.

This 2009 Jaguar XKR is nothing special. It is just like any other normal car that has a removable canister filter. Go to their website. It is called "Signature Service".

All the Jiffy lube installers have to do is remove the plastic cover from the underneath, unscrew the old filter, drain the oil, replace the oil filter, fill with oil.

Filter: $12.00
Oil: $29.00 after rebates
Labor: $26.00
Total: $67.00

My local Jaguar dealer (Garcia Jaguar-El Paso, TX) charges $140.00

The brand Jaguar might be a prestige car thus having to pay more for service at a Jaguar dealer than other brands. When it comes down to a basic oil change the Jaguar is just like any other car.

I have used my local Jiffy Lube store for many years. They change the oil in my 2014 Porsche 981, 2009 Jaguar XKR, 2014 Ford F-150 and my wife's 2012 Hyundai Tucson. My 2015 Corvette C7 goes in for the first 4 free oil changes from GM. Then thereafter, you can probably figure out who will be changing the oil in the Corvette in the future.

There is no need to spend unwarranted $$ unless you as an individual feeling better by going to the dealership.

It's your money. I spend mine wisely.

A single advantage to the dealership, is if you have a mechanic familiar with your car, they can spot things while under there that an oil change guy will miss.

The last time I was under my 944, for something else, I noticed the bolt and nut holding the pivot for the clutch fork had backed out, allowing the pivot rod to start slipping out of the clutch housing. A quick hit with a blunt object, and re-tighten of the bolt, then the nut, saved being stranded later. (What does puzzle me is why this came loose in the first place, I'll have to keep an eye on it.)

Your service department will vary, my local dealer has NO ONE that understands older Porsches, I do not recommend bringing anything pre 1999 there.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:53 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 790 Posts

We will have to agree to disagree. There is a cost to maintaining a top quality shop specially outfitted with the tools necessary to maintain our cars. Furthermore, the experience of the technicians is what I depend on. The last thing I would ever want to have happen is my local deanship closing down due to a lack of business.
As for an oil change, I'm hopeful your technician gave the car 'a once over' on items not oil change related. Mine always does.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts
Old 02-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

OK thanks , my bet is the XK oil change is for the 4.2L and the LR 2010-newer would be the same for the 2010-new XK 5.0.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 916 Posts

I think Loth and Guy just finished the discussion. Too bad all dealers don't do the same.

Cee Jay (02-16-2016)