XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

My latest Mod - Wrapped wood interior trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Maybe this will help, red arrows point to small plastic piece that you remove first because it is over the trim, blue arrows show where to start to pry up on gear selector trim after opening the ashtray...

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
ralphwg (01-31-2018), Tervuren (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s very helpful. Really appreciate your feed back and help.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

No problem... as for the ashtray here is a pic from the internet that helped me understand how to remove trim... I must say mine did not want to come off and I had to use plastic pry tool between the wood piece and the plastic part it slides onto to get it to remove, just a heads up, hopefully yours comes off easier...

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
Ridicrick (01-31-2018), Sean W (03-20-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
...then open the ashtray to get to the gear selector trim so you don't have to pry against leather, ...
Having done it a couple of times, I've found that using the plastic pry tools and prying against the leather worked with no problem (no damage done).
The only problem I had was trying to be too careful, and I didn't 'dig' the pry tool in far enough between the leather and the trim when starting the vertical trim around the nav screen, working from the bottom to the top. Ended up chipping a piece of the clearcoat off the edge of the trim. But it was low down and you can't see it unless you 'feel' for it. Someday I may try to fill it in, but since its not visible, no rush to do it.

The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice work! Looks great! Ill be doing this to mine soon to match the wrap of the car. Ive told so many people to just try it yourself as its easier than people think. The hardest part is removing the trim, and coming up with the excuse to borrow your wife's hair dryer..haha..

TexasTraveler (01-31-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Love what you’ve done. I like the luxury appearance of my tan interior with the light pine looking wood veneer, but curious about brushed copper wrapping to make it distracting enough inside for me, ya know. I spend more time inside of it than looking at it from the outside.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brewtech
Love what you’ve done. I like the luxury appearance of my tan interior with the light pine looking wood veneer, but curious about brushed copper wrapping to make it distracting enough inside for me, ya know. I spend more time inside of it than looking at it from the outside.
You should try it... Wrap is completely reversible if you don’t like it...

Old 02-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I just noticed that you ran some of the grain north and south and some east and west due to the limiting width of the product. Does that directional conflict stand out to you and is it something obvious when you first look at it? Can you get a shot of the whole front dash and center console?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid. Seller should make the product wider, I think. I'm feeling a little rain man like here.

EDIT: Disregard. I see it's available in 24" width.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I just noticed that you ran some of the grain north and south and some east and west due to the limiting width of the product. Does that directional conflict stand out to you and is it something obvious when you first look at it? Can you get a shot of the whole front dash and center console?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid. Seller should make the product wider, I think. I'm feeling a little rain man like here.

EDIT: Disregard. I see it's available in 24" width.
yes you can get it in wider length if it needed to be all one direction. I did all the center section one way so it all matches. I am pretty picking and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Sean W (02-09-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I wrapped the interior of mine and did the same thing (different directions) and it annoyed me enough to rewrap it. I just kept focussing on it and couldnt let it go. I would definitely change the piece over the glovebox if it were me.

You did a great job on the stereo surround, I found that to be the hardest part to wrap by far.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I wrapped the interior of mine and did the same thing (different directions) and it annoyed me enough to rewrap it. I just kept focussing on it and couldnt let it go. I would definitely change the piece over the glovebox if it were me.

You did a great job on the stereo surround, I found that to be the hardest part to wrap by far.
Thanks Bruce. Agreed he did an excellent job.

So you prefer the grain to run side to side on all the pieces? I would have thought grain running front to back would be more aesthetically pleasing but don't have enough feng shui in me to determine the best look. I like the look of the center bits, just not sure on the two dash pieces.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

I have it so the grain goes with the contour of the dash and I think it gives it some character. But with that said I may have to see what it looks like in the other direction.

Sean W (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

When I did mine I tried brushed metallic (grain side to side on the glovebox top) and the door bits but then did piano black on pretty much everything else. The piano black shows up fingermarks but I liked that it matched the bit where the shifter is.

I replaced it with carbon fiber for most of it except the bit around the puck and centre stack. You get the same issue with carbon fiber, with the lines running in different directions.

If I was doing it, I'd do it all side to side I think for the reason mentioned above. Also the above glovebox bit is the easiest of them all to wrap!

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Sean W (02-10-2018), TexasTraveler (02-10-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the chrome piece on the ashtray comes off, it’s held on by two small clips on the underside, very easy to wrap it.
Disregard. I just saw post 23

Last edited by Sean W; 03-20-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same on mine with 3m carbon fiber trim over a year ago, holding up and still looking great!

Attached Thumbnails My latest Mod - Wrapped wood interior trim-carbon-trim.jpg  
TexasTraveler (03-21-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

I just did this using the same material as Texas Traveler. It looks great. Thanks for the tips and help.

Questions related to the steering wheel.
I have the Burl trimmed SW.

Does the work price away from the wheel or not?

Is wrapping a heater steering wheel a good idea or bad one?

What about appearance? This one is subjective and I could just wrap it to test but would like forum input please.

Thanks guys

Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

I just did this using the same material as Texas Traveler. It looks great. Thanks for the tips and help.

Questions related to the steering wheel.
I have the Burl trimmed SW.

Does the work price away from the wheel or not?

What about appearance? This one is subjective and I could just wrap it to test but would like forum input please.

Thanks guys
Have you thought about changing out steering wheel to one without wood?
Not sure how complicated the job is, but could be an option...I'm sure someone can chime in on procedure of changing. Ebay has a few just check and make sure it has all the options you need like heated, ect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XK-S...daowNc&vxp=mtr

Sean W (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

If your steering wheel has the smooth shiny sections then yeah you can wrap it no problem with car wrap. Preferably Vvivid or ArlonSLX if you want the install to go much smoother. Use 3M knifeless tape to seam the back side of the steering wheel to make it look good and professional. Ive seen it done on a few steering wheels, looked amazing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ridicrick:
Sean W (03-29-2018), TexasTraveler (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

My XK8 had the wood wheel. It looked and felt great, but the PO lived in AZ and parked in the sun, evidently. The very top-forward part of the wheel was a bit faded and started to ..... I don't know what to call it..... micro-crack? The grain was getting obvious by feel. Couldn't SEE it really, just feel.

Sean W (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Have you thought about changing out steering wheel to one without wood?
Not sure how complicated the job is, but could be an option...I'm sure someone can chime in on procedure of changing. Ebay has a few just check and make sure it has all the options you need like heated, ect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XK-S...daowNc&vxp=mtr
The wood trimmed wheel is a rarity (outside those 2007 cars on which was optioned), so its not the type of thing you want to remove, unless you absolutely don't like it and then it becomes an easy item to sell (been hunting for a spare caramel/burl wood for quite some time).

Quick Reply: My latest Mod - Wrapped wood interior trim