XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

My New Exterior Mods..Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
I usualy call the bulb on the very end the city bulbs from my mercedes days. Some call it the parking lights. I put an arrow where I switched the "City Bulb" to LED. I'm not 100% sure where I got them as it has been a few years back but I'm pretty sure it was either autoluminations.com or vleds.com (leaning towards autoluminations). My interior LEDs are from autoluminations also. I did order the city leds a few times as the first time I realized I could have ordered a bigger LED. The 2nd time I order too big and wouldn't fit and the 3rd time I got it right. I'm not sure which ones they are but if you look at the manual, you can cross reference the stock bulb number to the LED bulb number. As for the turn signal, you'll need to put load resistors as the LEDs will blink faster and draw less watts and therefore the car's computer will think there will be a bulb out. I didn't want to add more load resistors as I've had a ton in the rear taillight clusters to make the 2010+ taillights work so I just use chromium bulb for the fronts for now. Not sure where I got the chromium but most import shops online will have them. There is a new LED bulb system called V3 Triton from Vleds.com that might be the solution for converting the front turn bulbs to LEDs with no bulb out but haven't really looked into them yet.
Thanks Ghost, I'll check out those websites.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,354 Likes on 3,482 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB1221
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Took on this little project for the past three days. I did the rims, side louvers, front upper/lower grilles, hood vents, rear trunk blade and the XK/R badges. What do you guys/gals think? Debating on whether to do the piece around the window trim black as well. Next little project is changing out all of the yellow interior lights for LED which are already in the mail.
2009 XKR Portfolio in Houston with virtually identical mods for sale on eBay $50K. See link for more pix: Jaguar : XKR Portfolio in Jaguar | eBay Motors

Attached Thumbnails My New Exterior Mods..Pics Inside-xq_800.jpg   My New Exterior Mods..Pics Inside-mq_800.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
2009 XKR Portfolio in Houston with virtually identical mods for sale on eBay $50K. See link for more pix: Jaguar : XKR Portfolio in Jaguar | eBay Motors
I came across that sweet looking Jag the other week and even posted about it. Lol. Then thankfully I found out about this plasti dip stuff so I had that car fresh in my mind. I def like the color combo of that Jag. Looks real sharp.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB1221
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Took on this little project for the past three days. I did the rims, side louvers, front upper/lower grilles, hood vents, rear trunk blade and the XK/R badges. What do you guys/gals think? Debating on whether to do the piece around the window trim black as well. Next little project is changing out all of the yellow interior lights for LED which are already in the mail.
Even for an old guy, I think it looks really cool.
Well done......but then, I am biased.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Blue is already dark, so chrome highlights "work" better than black I think. I was gonna say I'd much prefer it if the car was silver instead of blue, and then I see on page 2 a blacked-out silver Portfolio posted by StuartS. Gorgeous!

But Ian Callum really is the Michelangelo of car designers, and he takes pains to style the cars juuuuust right. The guy is a pro and I personally prefer the XK with his original touches, well, un-touched. My only mod (an Indigo Blue XK) was a grill mesh, ala the XKR. Looks cleaner.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Love the set up! Looks great!

I'm on my second XKR, a 2012 White with black package. The first one was a 2010 Black with tan interior... it is absolutely shocking how much more of a head turner the white with black package is. Incredibly so. The black highlights and package really makes the car pop!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
2009 XKR Portfolio in Houston with virtually identical mods for sale on eBay $50K. See link for more pix: ...
I rarely like the black wheel look but this contrast is kickass

Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Woojink the white w/ black sounds fantastic. Can you post a picture?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Yup... Here you go. This white one gets WAY more attention the previous black one. Go figure.

Attached Thumbnails My New Exterior Mods..Pics Inside-new-jag-xkr.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by woojink:
DGL (02-28-2013), Mike V (02-27-2013), pabanker (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Imperial

Originally Posted by woojink
Yup... Here you go. This white one gets WAY more attention the previous black one. Go figure.

Full On Strom Trooper! Sick!!!

I wish there was a like button b/c your ride looks fantastic, congrats.

I've been considering plasti dipping the whole car to get this look.

They really made a huge improvement with the front side vents on the 12 and ups, more open and great shape.

Feel free to post more pics...

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Beauty! I see the hood vents were kept white. Wonder why they stopped there.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 PM

I thought about that too, and looked hard at the hood imagining the vents looking black, even put a couple of small black pieces of plastic on the hood to gauge the look. In the end, I think that if the hood vents were black, it would spoil the clean lines and look of the hood. I like the balance of what they've done with this package. If I were to change anything, and this is a maybe at most, it would be the door handles. Possibly making those black. But believe me, I am NOT complaining...

Interesting thing is that this "Stormtrooper" look (GREAT analogy Mike V!), is something I see popping up a lot more lately. I don't think it is because I am noticing something that I just ignored in the past, but rather, I think this is a trend that I see popping up a lot more... the white with black highlights. Either way, I love the look of this car... absolutely love the car. First time in around 18 cars that I got the same model/car twice in a row! I guess I am hooked!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 936 Likes on 613 Posts

Looks fantastic! Jaguar got right. Enjoy.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 936 Likes on 613 Posts
Default Thread started to post popular mods/colors

I'd like to see a poll of various models with mods and color combinations to see what is the most popular. What do you think? I'll start one. I don't know if this forum supports polls.

Link to thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...40/#post686628

Attached Thumbnails My New Exterior Mods..Pics Inside-p10005551.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 02-28-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it. it adds just a little something...

I just hope that in mate it doesn't give a "plastic" look. Anyway, I just save the photo, in case I buy one of the same color, as I will probably do the same.

I saw videos of plasti-dip a while ago, and it seems to be so easy to remove tha I thought it wouldn't remain. You seem to say the opposite. Does it mean that it's easy to remove the first few hours or days, and strong afterwards?

Thanks, anyway. Good job.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

@MJB1221 - Luv your pavers too. Very nice.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

To my eye the detail or design of any black wheels are lost in reflection unless they are black. Also to average eyes the black wheel is a cheaper, less jewelry or quality look. Chrome is extreme the other way and cheap too. But a silver centered or brush wheel a polished lip ands a quality jewelry-like texture and depth.

That being said if you are going for that "don't mind me, this car is all about being stealthy, focused, beastly only" look then the black wheel has its place.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok so I am dipping today. You mentioned it takes 15-20 min to dry between coats. The instructions on the can say 4 hours. Did you have any issues applying additional coats after only 15-20 min?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Nope, it's dry real quick. 15-20 minutes is fine. Don't worry if your dip looks like crocodile skin as it dries. It will be dry to the touch after 15 minutes but won't be perfect yet. Once you've done your 3-4 coats let it dry for a couple hours and the finish will look smooth and perfect. You can even add coats to spots you missed or didn't put enough. Once it dries it will match up perfectly. Enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (04-14-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just quickly how did you do the front grills. Did you remove them to spray or just spray on the car, I'm want to do just not sure how

Quick Reply: My New Exterior Mods..Pics Inside