XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Mysterious curb rash on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
If your wife doesn't drive the car, and you admit having curbed the Sonata 3 or 4 times what's the complaint? It is driver error and driver related, so it's a driver responsiblity.

The driver is responsible for how they drive their cars. Perhaps you need to attend a driving school and learn proper parking techniques.

Where are the photos of your car?..... not some BMW that does not reflect the true damage of the wheels on YOUR Jaguar.
Richzak, I should be able to account for 3 or 4 curb rash marks on my wife's Sonata. But there are many more.

I will take photos today. The car is located 1/4 of a mile away in covered parking so I don't have ready access to it. In the meantime, please kindly remove that stick out of your rear.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Richzak, I should be able to account for 3 or 4 curb rash marks on my wife's Sonata. But there are many more.

I will take photos today. The car is located 1/4 of a mile away in covered parking so I don't have ready access to it. In the meantime, please kindly remove that stick out of your rear.
Alan:

No stick, up my a--. It just doesn't make sense to ask people what might be the cause of your respective wheel damage when you show photos of wheel damage on a BMW. If you really want some help from forum members, don't you think it would be wise to supply the group here with factual information, showing the damage to your wheels, not someone elses? It just makes sense. In additon, wheel damage just doesn't happen, it is created by the driver of the automobile. Either you park too close to curbs and need to apply some smaller 2" round convex mirrors to your existing mirrors for when parking. These might help you allot to save future damage. Cost is about $3.00 each at any auto parts type store. You need to avoid potholes or the massive holes you say that exist on your current driving roads.

Attached Thumbnails Mysterious curb rash on wheels-2009-jaguar-xkr-portfolio-edition-showcase-088.jpg   Mysterious curb rash on wheels-2009-jaguar-xkr-portfolio-edition-showcase-131.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 06:16 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,148 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by dougcthr
You haven't inadvertently let my wife drive your car have you???? It only takes her 100m or so to trash mine!!!
Or the ex, LOL.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,148 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I did just get new tires, but I was noticing the curb rash getting worse even before then (which was actually necessitated by the fact that a pothole did this to my tire): I would like to think that the damage done to the wheels is done by a curb, but in fact I bet you it's more likely that these things are caused by potholes! What is the difference between scraping a curb at 2-3 mph when parallel parking and inadvertently going over a large pothole at 30 miles an hour? I mean, look at what this pothole did to this one guy's wheel: Wheel Repair for Pothole Rash I have very similar issues on my wheels, except not as severe (maybe 1-2" and not as deep). Unfortunately we had a very bad and extended winter here. It seemed that they were not attempting to patch potholes until the last couple weeks or so. Needless to say, trying to dodge a large pothole on the highway at 70 mph can be a losing proposition!
Ditto. I often wonder if moving down to the 19s would be a little more practical due to these issues, then I wake up and ignore those ridiculous practical thoughts.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

You might consider watching them install your tires next time around. Discount Tire will destroy your wheels unless you specifically ask them to be careful. They tore the crap out of the wheels on my 535i and ended up having to replace all 4.

They were brand spankin' new when I brought them in with the wobbly Hankooks and they looked like they were 12 years old when the pulled my car out of the shop. They even tried to tell me that they were like that when I pulled in, until I showed them receipt for the wheels, which were 2 days old.

All they need is an installer with a quarter of a brain and a pry bar with a Derlin tip.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

GrayXK,
I had the exact same experience, not with Discount Tires, but with my own mechanic right after I bought my car almost 5 years ago. The original Double 5's were badly curb rashed, so I bought new wheels. When I took the car to my mechanic (who gets me tires at cost), a couple of days later, I came to pick it up and they were beaten up, and like you these were brand new. I made him pay for my new wheels, and I had the four Double 5's refinished for the money. Even now, when I have new tires installed (as I did about 2 weeks ago) though he knows I'm going to scrutinize them, there are always a few new marks and scratches. This is why I suggested in an earlier post that the damage may have been caused when changing to new tires.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gray XK
You might consider watching them install your tires next time around. Discount Tire will destroy your wheels unless you specifically ask them to be careful. They tore the crap out of the wheels on my 535i and ended up having to replace all 4.

They were brand spankin' new when I brought them in with the wobbly Hankooks and they looked like they were 12 years old when the pulled my car out of the shop. They even tried to tell me that they were like that when I pulled in, until I showed them receipt for the wheels, which were 2 days old.

All they need is an installer with a quarter of a brain and a pry bar with a Derlin tip.
I never had any difficulty using Discount Tires in Las Cruces, NM. They have always provided superior service and did an excellent job mounting wheels and changing tires. I imagine that service can and will vary from location to location. I always introduce myself to the tire installers, (usually more than one), and ALWAYS tell them" IF YOU DO A GOOD JOB FOR ME, YOU WILL BE REWARDED". If the job is professional without any problems I always hand the two installers a $10.00 tip each.

Stating that Discount Tire will destroy your wheels is a broad generic statement. Any tire shop depending on the knowledge of the installer can provide excellent service and quality work or crappy service and poor work.

Discount Tire has always stood behind their work and have treated me well. I am sure there can be sad stories however. They have numerous outlets throughout the USA and in California they are known as America's Tire.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM

I never had any difficulty using Discount Tires in Las Cruces, NM. They have always provided superior service and did an excellent job mounting wheels and changing tires. I imagine that service can and will vary from location to location. I always introduce myself to the tire installers, (usually more than one), and ALWAYS tell them" IF YOU DO A GOOD JOB FOR ME, YOU WILL BE REWARDED". If the job is professional without any problems I always hand the two installers a $10.00 tip each.

Stating that Discount Tire will destroy your wheels is a broad generic statement. Any tire shop depending on the knowledge of the installer can provide excellent service and quality work or crappy service and poor work.

Discount Tire has always stood behind their work and have treated me well. I am sure there can be sad stories however. They have numerous outlets throughout the USA and in California they are known as America's Tire.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
Well good for you. While, I don't live in Las Cruces, I have lived in 12 different states in this fine country and I have dealt with far more than one Discount Tire over the past 20 years. And considering that I spent more than 10 of those years working as a Field Service Engineer driving nearly 75,000 miles/year, I dare say I have gathered enough experience to formulate my own opinions.

Just watch them working on other people's cars and it will become painfully obvious that they show zero respect for their customers property. When I bring in a car to have nearly $2,000 worth of tires installed, regardless of what type of car I'm driving or what kind of rims I have installed, I expect them to treat my property with respect. Why the hell should I have to tip every employee in the shop to NOT destroy my property???? Do you tip the dealer mechanics for not scratching and denting your car when you take in for service too?

There's a perfectly good reason I don't buy tires from them anymore.

It doesn't take ANY more effort to change a tire without scratching the rim - ZERO. All that is needed are the proper tools and a small bit of caution, period.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
GrayXK,
I had the exact same experience, not with Discount Tires, but with my own mechanic right after I bought my car almost 5 years ago. The original Double 5's were badly curb rashed, so I bought new wheels. When I took the car to my mechanic (who gets me tires at cost), a couple of days later, I came to pick it up and they were beaten up, and like you these were brand new. I made him pay for my new wheels, and I had the four Double 5's refinished for the money. Even now, when I have new tires installed (as I did about 2 weeks ago) though he knows I'm going to scrutinize them, there are always a few new marks and scratches. This is why I suggested in an earlier post that the damage may have been caused when changing to new tires.

Just a tip: Take out your phone and take pictures of each wheel before you let them them drive your car in to the shop. I understand that accidents happen but, if you have the pictures to show them that your rims were in pristine condition when they pulled your car in to the shop, they are far less likely to dick you around when you bring the dings and scratches to their attention....

Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Why the hell should I have to tip every employee in the shop to NOT destroy my property???? Do you tip the dealer mechanics for not scratching and denting your car when you take in for service too?
Attitude and being nice will get a person allot further in todays world. No I don't tip everyone. A tip or gratuity is a reward for doing a good job.

Give a little and reward others, your life will be so much better.

Discount Tire and America's Tire is a high volume business and are located all across the country. If they weren't conducting a good and fair business, I seriously doubt they wouldn't being doing so well.

I am happy working with them, and that is all that matters to me.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Attitude and being nice will get a person allot further in todays world. No I don't tip everyone. A tip or gratuity is a reward for doing a good job.

Give a little and reward others, your life will be so much better.

Discount Tire and America's Tire is a high volume business and are located all across the country. If they weren't conducting a good and fair business, I seriously doubt they wouldn't being doing so well.

I am happy working with them, and that is all that matters to me.
Thank you for your most inspiring life lesson. I've spent more than 20 years working on multimillion dollar manufacturing robotics without a single customer complaint but, I simply wouldn't know how to treat people properly if it wasn't for your most inspirational post

Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I had that issue on my 2007. I got to close to the curb and ripped them pretty good. I found a company in Jupiter (First Place Wheels) who said he could fix them for $90 per wheel. I figured it was worth a shot so I left the car with him. I went back two hours later and it looked like I had new wheels. The guy is an artist!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I had that issue on my 2007. I got to close to the curb and ripped them pretty good. I found a company in Jupiter (First Place Wheels) who said he could fix them for $90 per wheel. I figured it was worth a shot so I left the car with him. I went back two hours later and it looked like I had new wheels. The guy is an artist!
I take it he did this with the tires still on the rims? I've heard of some places who are really good at that but I haven't been able to find a good one around here yet. I have few little scrapes that I'd like to have taken care of eventually.

My buddy and I tried fixing some rash on my G35 but, the results weren't what I would call "stellar" lol. Matching the metallic paint takes a pretty keen eye.....and a I'm blind as a bat, apparently

Old 04-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

I take it he did this with the tires still on the rims? I've heard of some places who are really good at that but I haven't been able to find a good one around here yet. I have few little scrapes that I'd like to have taken care of eventually.

My buddy and I tried fixing some rash on my G35 but, the results weren't what I would call "stellar" lol. Matching the metallic paint takes a pretty keen eye.....and a I'm blind as a bat, apparently
No, he took the tires off, fixed the wheels then put the tires back on and balanced them. He can also fix bent rims! The guy works on almost exclusively high end cars. Bentley, Ferrari, etc. He told me he's been doing it for more than 20 years. Lucky find!

The following users liked this post:
Gray XK (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 AM

Man, that is a good find without a doubt. I still have the stock wheels/tires from my 535i that I'd like to get rid of. They look pretty good but one rim is slightly bent and I don't want to sell the set like that.

I even asked the local BMW dealer who repairs their rims but they gave me the runaround. Talents like that are in high demand

Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Man, that is a good find without a doubt. I still have the stock wheels/tires from my 535i that I'd like to get rid of. They look pretty good but one rim is slightly bent and I don't want to sell the set like that.

I even asked the local BMW dealer who repairs their rims but they gave me the runaround. Talents like that are in high demand
Not sure where you are but give First Place Wheels in Jupiter Florida a call. You could probably send the wheel to him have him fix it and have it back in a week.

The following users liked this post:
Gray XK (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Not sure where you are but give First Place Wheels in Jupiter Florida a call. You could probably send the wheel to him have him fix it and have it back in a week.
I'm in New Mexico so that's just a wee bit out of my way lol. But my brother isn't far from there and I'm sure he could use him when he curbs the wheels on his new vette