XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

NAV screen for gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I want to have the normal touchscreen interface showing, so flipping to the Nav setting to get an on-screen gauge display isn't that attractive. I'm considering one of the Chinese-made OBDII HUD units, some of which have the option of displaying temperature and oil pressure. So far, I haven't spotted one that I like enough to buy, but there seems to be an evolving range out there.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree they didn't do a very good job as far as design with the gauge on the F-type but at least they have the info. Which in my opinion is a must on this type/class of car. Especially since there are issues with thermostats and water pumps with the 4.2L. Even saw a post about the water pump on the 5.0L

The only thing I don't like about the touch screen option is the information wouldn't be available unless you select. I do like where it is located on the F-type but they could do it like the outside temp on the home screen and just give us the coolant temp and oil pressure numbers and use much less space. Numbers could change color from blue to green to red, there are all kinds of ways to do it well.

Coming from the early X100 series with the three gauge cluster, oil,temp and clock, I do miss that info. I know they saved my but a few times and gave me some type of earlier warning that something was not normal.

Maybe not the temp so much as it was an over glorified idiot light. Always sat in the middle after the engine warmed up unless it was just about to late. I know on my 4.0L they recommended changing the thermostat every 2 years which I did after the first one went bad, not in the owners manual but had a TSB for it.

Also changed the water pump twice due to failure, first time the fins separated and almost cost me the car. Digging fins out of engine is not my idea of a good time.
Second time I caught it early enough as the engine fans were kicking in at odd times and when I replaced the pump and thermostat, the outer flange that retained the fins fell out in my hand.

As good as manufacturing processes may have come any mechanical system requires feedback. It's just polite and correct to offer that feedback to the operator.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Gauges became semi-obsolete for two reasons:
#1 - damn near nobody looked at them for anything other than curiosity-sakes. Honestly how many people are there to monitor Voltage, oil pressure, fuel pressure, engine heat, etc unless you had advanced knowledge that there may in fact be an issue? By far and away by the tie you happened to notice that a needle was in the red the damage was already done. Idiot lights proved FAR better because in reality you only needed know if there was a problem not some incremental advance. I had a number of older cars and had to play "flight engineer and pilot" all the time so I remember those days vividly... glad they're gone

#2 - Today's cars simply don't need the gauges. The build quality is so far superior to yesterday's cars it's an obsolete mentality. With all the advanced electronics/computers there's a comfort in knowing that they are watched several hundred times a second versus the once-in-a-while glance we gave them. This concept is just like traction control, engine monitoring throttle control, etc. The vast majority of people realize that the computers are far better at monitoring our systems that we could ever be.

If when we want gauges we can buy them via OBDII but other than monitoring battery voltage (battery issues) or engine temp (for faulty water pumps) they'll prove more distracting and unnecessary. This is like the argument for manual trans, very few would opt for it, sounds great on paper, but in the real world it just doesn't appeal to the masses as a needed thing.

This information is worth exactly what you paid for it...
Can't decide if this is a troll attempt, LOL!

I appreciate your opinion and point of view. It's all true if this were a mini-van forum! Enthusiast cars aren't for "the vast majority". Do I want autonomous cars? Yes, for my commute to/from work but not as a replacement for the thrill of driving a performance car on my day off. To drive it to it's fullest safely I need to know when it's up to full operating temp. "Flight engineer and pilot" to understand a temp gauge? (my username is a clue). You don't have to be one to understand the information. It wouldn't have cost Jag much to put one where that stupid clock is between the speedo and tach. At least give me the choice of what I want there. When I drive my XKR *time* is the least of my concerns. I guess at least we'll know what time the engine blows up instead of preventing it.

...but seriously all I really want is a temp gauge and I don't want an ugly pod or some tacky suction-cup stick-on OBD2 reader. Without being able to hack the center gauge cluster screen I think this will be the most elegant solution.

Update soon!

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-25-2015 at 05:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flyc2c:
andys-GR (01-27-2015), Cee Jay (01-27-2015), tberg (02-04-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

If I only planned to own a car under warranty then I wouldn't worry to much. But for any body who plan to keep a car for a extended period of time you gain a awareness of whats normal both for levels and rate of change. Air craft gauges still display in a analogue format for a reason its rate of change that is often important.
If you drive hard ever you need a temp gauge, almost all production cars can be overheated on a track and you want to know before it gets too hot. I've saved myself a long walk in Grand Escalante when by allowing the my jeep to cool while trudging through deep sand.

The following users liked this post:
user 2029223 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

+ 1 what ANDYS said.
Remember digital watches? Nobody else does either. You need that perspective of how "long it's been" and how "long till" an event that only analog provides. You need rate of change data at a glance. Look at the rpm and mph dials and imagine them as digital counters. It's been tried and rejected.

Last edited by user 2029223; 01-27-2015 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by user 2029223:
DGL (01-27-2015), ralphwg (01-27-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Yes, I have hooked it up. The instructions are very poor.

Here is what you do:

-Set up the DIP switches. Assuming you just have one video channel (A/V 1) for now, set them up as follows: 1-ON, 2-OFF, 3-ON, 4-ON, 5-OFF, 6-ON, 7-OFF, 8-OFF.

-Inspect the GVIF Cable (Two blue connectors and a six position white connector). If it was like mine the order of the wires at the white connector is 1-Brown, 2-Purple, 3-Black, 4-Brown, 5-Purple, 6-Black. If this is the case you need to swap positions of wires 1 & 2 (brown and purple). Then swap positions of wires 4 and 5 (brown and purple). You can do this by SLIGHTLY and GENTLY lifting the white connector retaining tabs with a jewelers screwdriver for the terminals one at a time and retracting the terminals from behind, then re-inserting them.

-Now plug into the main unit the POWER wiring harness, the GVIF wiiring harness, the A/V wiring harness, the pushbutton switch wiring harness and the IR sensor wiring harness. These are the only ones you need.

-With the car off, unplug the GVIF connector from the car's navigation unit to the right of the battery in the XK. Then plug the two Blue GVIF connectors between the car's GVIF harness and the navigation unit.

-With the car off, connect vehicle battery to the Black and Red GND and ACC wires.

-Connect your video source to the Yellow AV1 video input connector.

-Power up the car. When Navigation is selected on the touch screen, the pushbutton should then cycle between Navigation and the video input.

-You can fine tune the picture using the menus and the remote as described in the manual.

Regarding Pin 8 of the OBDII connector on the XK, there is a non-standard signal on that, so any wire from the HKS on pin 8 should be removed.
Ok I've switched the purple and brown wires. Easy with a safety pin and some hemostats. Do I need to do anything with the CAN? Will the Nav still work? Can I tap the power and ground off the integrated audio module so it's not constantly powered?

Thanks!

EDIT!!

Update from WhiteXKR.

Don't touch the CAN BUS.
Nav works, just switch between sources using the little button the GVIF comes with.
Power off the module works great!

Little difference in the dip switch setting to get it centered in the screen. Switches 5 and 6 need to be: 5-ON 6-OFF for the XKR.

Last edited by flyc2c; 02-03-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Update!
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-17-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 PM

Victory is mine!!!!!!

I'll be doing an install thread soon. Sun is going down and I have to reassemble my car and clean up. It's amazing how much you can display with this thing.
Too bad HKS doesn't make it anymore. Hard to find on the used market. I was extremely lucky. I got the box, instructions, cable all wrapped in the original
ties and everything in the plastic. All in the original box. WhiteXKR was a great help. Without that wire swap trick I would have failed. Props!
Name:  P1030189_zps072e5817.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  193.5 KB
Name:  P1030186_zps8e608756.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  165.5 KB

Last edited by flyc2c; 02-03-2015 at 04:14 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by flyc2c:
andys-GR (02-03-2015), Cee Jay (02-03-2015), DGL (02-03-2015), guy (08-12-2015), jagtoes (02-03-2015), kj07xk (08-17-2015), Ngarara (02-03-2015), WhiteXKR (02-03-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Sweet!! Nice job.

The resolution is so much better on this screen than on the 2001 XKR I have mine installed on.

One thing I am really curious about is if the manifold pressure gauge will show supercharger boost correctly. On the 2001, the OBDII data was only correct for vacuum, and boost did not register correctly. I had to add the HKS accessory pressure sensor for boost. Fortunately, it looks like most of the HKS accessories are still being sold, so you probably can get that if you need it, and even add oil pressure,

Old 02-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Sweet!! Nice job.

The resolution is so much better on this screen than on the 2001 XKR I have mine installed on.

One thing I am really curious about is if the manifold pressure gauge will show supercharger boost correctly. On the 2001, the OBDII data was only correct for vacuum, and boost did not register correctly. I had to add the HKS accessory pressure sensor for boost. Fortunately, it looks like most of the HKS accessories are still being sold, so you probably can get that if you need it, and even add oil pressure,
I'll know tomorrow hopefully. Going to start the permanent install tomorrow. Everything was just piled up all over the car. The vacuum/boost function worked fine using a blue tooth OBD2 adapter and the Torq app. Hopefully it'll work here too. Did you ever try the BT adapter/torq app on yours?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
I'll know tomorrow hopefully. Going to start the permanent install tomorrow. Everything was just piled up all over the car. The vacuum/boost function worked fine using a blue tooth OBD2 adapter and the Torq app. Hopefully it'll work here too. Did you ever try the BT adapter/torq app on yours?
I did not use a Bluetooth reader at the time, but I did check it with another OBDII device and it could not register boost over around +4 or 5 PSI if I recall. Actual stock max. boost is around 12 PSI (on a 2001). I put a dedicated sensor in and it worked as expected.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Any update on this? Is there a cheap and easy solution to get the gauges on the nav screen? TIA

Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
Any update on this? Is there a cheap and easy solution to get the gauges on the nav screen? TIA
I replaced the HKS Camp 2 with an android box. Still used the GVIF box.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Heres an install instruction for the GVIF box without HKS Camp 2:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...camera-179570/

Others have tacked on an LCD to their steering column or a gauge in the corner of the dash. They'll weigh in.