XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

NavTool backup system

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by jagia
I got my NavTool to work perfect right out of the box
Now they know where their working prototype went!

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
jwburch21 (08-12-2017), Sean W (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just think OP didn't program it right

Old 04-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I just think OP didn't program it right
Based on what?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean W
Based on what?
i was having same problem before I managed to program it the right way

Old 04-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I used 2 USB data cable to download from their site but still not recognized

Old 04-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IanXF
I used 2 USB data cable to download from their site but still not recognized
I had same issues, most USB cables are charging cables and have no data channels, i ended up going to target to get a new cable with data

Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Electrical collection points?

Jagua et al- Thanks so much for the info provided to date.
That said, I'm a determined DIY, but also unencumbered by real understanding.
(1) is it possible to provide the location/color of the XK wires that will be connected to the kit?
(2) You spoke about programming; how does that work and what info is needed?
Best,
wrair

Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 AM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

There's a link for the manual in the thread with wiring diagram and also help from jagia

Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Hi jagia,

It's interesting that you just joined the Forum and your personal profile has no information above your car or where you're located. After reading your posts, I'm wondering if you're a professional installer and if you own an X150 or have a financial interest in promoting NavTool. You most certainly have a lot of knowledge about installing the NavTool and have provided a lot of helpful information in this thread.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
kj07xk (04-05-2017), Sean W (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

NavTool was the last unit i installed, It has HD quality HDMI input, in screen menus , 4 camera inputs, USB updates and most important it's made in USA

https://youtu.be/jY01RbRLgHs?list=PL...Fc6pXO7HO5cWkH
I like the on screen menus but can/ should only be used while NOT driving. They would be as big a distraction as texting, and really whats the savings over toggling through screens.

Same with Miracast. The next great thing in distracted driving deaths. If done with a tablet before driving, say to use google maps for example, it would be ok and maybe the only benefit over GVIF, however, we've solved for this using GVIF as well with a media player.

The GVIF unit has four inputs as well.

I'm not sure why software updates are needed. This may be beneficial or detrimental. Given their horrific service, I'd want to avoid a download. I presume the download is vehicle dependent, so for Jaguar, you download Jag software, BMW, etc..., but perhaps it's also phone related.

The GVIF is for multiple cars employing GVIF tech so it comes with more wires than are needed for the Jag but the unit is already programmed to play without download. so all software for all vehicles is installed.

The GVIF sells for $209 on eBay, comes with instructions and is delivered overnight.

BTW, I once owned a NAVTOOL unit (different Jag). I was hopeful when I saw this thread, but the tech is nothing new and for every reason you read on this thread, I'll never do business with them again.

The lag on delivery is just plain nuts and the fact that the instructions are withheld is beyond fathomable.

Ian, I hope you get it worked out, but frankly, I think the thread should serve as a warning to others.

Last edited by Sean W; 04-05-2017 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wrair
Jagua et al- Thanks so much for the info provided to date.
That said, I'm a determined DIY, but also unencumbered by real understanding.
(1) is it possible to provide the location/color of the XK wires that will be connected to the kit?
(2) You spoke about programming; how does that work and what info is needed?
Best,
wrair
I got power and ground in the trunk, and reverse wire from tail lights

programming was done by downloading their updater - and i believe they have software called jaguar special

wrair (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Banned

I like the on screen menus but can/ should only be used while NOT driving. They would be as big a distraction as texting, and really whats the savings over toggling through screens.

Same with Miracast. The next great thing in distracted driving deaths. If done with a tablet before driving, say to use google maps for example, it would be ok and maybe the only benefit over GVIF, however, we've solved for this using GVIF as well with a media player.

The GVIF unit has four inputs as well.

I'm not sure why software updates are needed. This may be beneficial or detrimental. Given their horrific service, I'd want to avoid a download. I presume the download is vehicle dependent, so for Jaguar, you download Jag software, BMW, etc..., but perhaps it's also phone related.

The GVIF is for multiple cars employing GVIF tech so it comes with more wires than are needed for the Jag but the unit is already programmed to play without download. so all software for all vehicles is installed.

The GVIF sells for $209 on eBay, comes with instructions and is delivered overnight.

BTW, I once owned a NAVTOOL unit (different Jag). I was hopeful when I saw this thread, but the tech is nothing new and for every reason you read on this thread, I'll never do business with them again.

The lag on delivery is just plain nuts and the fact that the instructions are withheld is beyond fathomable.

Ian, I hope you get it worked out, but frankly, I think the thread should serve as a warning to others.
Mine came with instructions in the box, i'm planing to add phone mirroring and more cameras, none of the other units currently on the market allow it

The following 2 users liked this post by jagia:
kj07xk (04-05-2017), wrair (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

none of the other units currently on the market allow it
Well not true. GVIF unit has RCA 4 connectors. They are simply RCA and will accept cameras. It will also accept an Android streaming Media box or a tablet, to which you can also add real time gauges, google maps, or just add Miracast and anything else an android phone has available. It's not a single unit but it's simple to do.

I'm glad it worked out for you and it's great that you're helping to answer questions but to say none of the other units on the markets allow it, is not accurate.

I also assume the product works well, but there is no doubt that the service and turnaround are terrible.

I have no skin in this game other that to let others know who are contemplating adding a rear view camera, there are alternatives.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Banned

Well not true. GVIF unit has RCA 4 connectors. They are simply RCA and will accept cameras. It will also accept an Android streaming Media box or a tablet, to which you can also add real time gauges, google maps, or just add Miracast and anything else an android phone has available. It's not a single unit but it's simple to do.

I'm glad it worked out for you and it's great that you're helping to answer questions but to say none of the other units on the markets allow it, is not accurate.

I also assume the product works well, but there is no doubt that the service and turnaround are terrible.

I have no skin in this game other that to let others know who are contemplating adding a rear view camera, there are alternatives.
i've done extensive research, there is no unit other than what navtool offers that has 4 camera inputs and can be activated with turns signals etc.

Sean W (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

i've done extensive research, there is no unit other than what navtool offers that has 4 camera inputs and can be activated with turns signals etc.
OK you win. I do like the turn signal activating the side camera.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

OK you win. I do like the turn signal activating the side camera.
laughing out loud , I've done research so you don't have to

Old 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

laughing out loud , I've done research so you don't have to
Nope, just trying to end this nonsense as it has no additional value added, just agreeing to disagree.

wrair, you were asking about a power source, earlier I believe. I assume you're installing yours in the boot. If so, remove the left side panel in the boot. At the back, you will see a dead end plug with three wires, brown, red/white, and black. Red/White is switched power, black is ground.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Entertaining thread. Will read again...

Old 04-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts
Angry NavTool

Please see my previous post...

Let me tell you the story on NavTool. Just simple facts, no embellishment.
I ordered Navtool for late model XK(R). After 5 months, no ship, no deliver. But they did charge my credit card fine for $250. I contacted them numerous times, e-mail and phone. They claimed it would be shipped "soon". Then after 5 months, they claimed "shipped". I contacted Credit Card Company and asked for refund/cancel charges. Navtool reported that "I picked up unit at their location". They are in NY, I am in SC. Not Likely! But Credit Card company would not refund/cancel since Navtool reported I received it. I am in the process of getting CC company to refund it, but, I suggest you give serious thought to doing business with them.

Well, the story gets even better. I emailed them one last time, telling them it will get very unpleasant if they don't send unit or issue credit. Their Response?...They sent a UPS Tracking number claiming it was now going to be shipped. That was one week ago - per UPS tracking site no pickup by UPS, and never shipped. Just a Label Ordered.

Seriously, unless you have the unit in your hands, I strongly recommend not doing business with these folks. I am out $250.00 with nothing but pile of obviously incorrect emails.

Sean W (04-10-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
no pickup by UPS, and never shipped.
Like I said, they accidentally shipped the working unit to 'jagia', they're not going to make that mistake again!

Sean W (04-10-2017)