XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 PM
ud
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Adult swim

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Richard, if "tych, którzy" means what I think it means, you be in some serious szukać.
Its adult swim time here. Please go back to the kiddie wading pool, Or your high school locker room

Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
Lou's was closed. So I went up to Watts to Tyrones's and Woodrows Chop shop and Cell store. Tyrone did the cuttin, whle woodrow did the welding. Tyrone's wife LaTwatna cooked us some hog maws, pig snouts and homemade corn bread (not out of the Jiff box). After all the work was done we all sat around the hookah pipe and smoked weed. No one answered on the Ferrari forum yet

This made me laugh...

What is your opinion of the F Type exhaust sound?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
ud
Default F-type sound

Originally Posted by rscultho
This made me laugh...

What is your opinion of the F Type exhaust sound?
I think it is exotic and sexy. I just wanted to have my car sound different than 99.9% of the other people on this forum and diifferent than any Jag going down the road. If I could get my car to sound like a 427 tri-power that screams like a Ferrari, that would be great!!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

If you're talking about the Tri-Power fitted in a 'Vette, doesn't that have a side-venting exhaust? So, like the mid-engined cars, you've got a shorter exhaust tract.

Or does the Tri-Power always sound more shrill, regardless of what it's fitted in? Sorry, not sufficiently familiar with US muscle cars.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 PM
ud
Smile you tube

Originally Posted by M6XKR
Typically companies spend countless hours of engineering that goes into these legit high end performance exhausts, both in order to achieve optimal performance and to tune the acoustics to sound as they do. I would be very interested in hearing a video once you get this system installed. I've always been tempted to piece together my own exhaust versus forking out 3-4k, but with such a highly engineered vehicle it has always just seemed like a shot in the dark to do it and have it come out correctly.

Good luck and please post sound clips when done!
I will post the sounds when i learn how to do on you tube. I understand your feeling about the cost of stuff. I am lucky that I have a person that TIG welds at my disposal, courtesy of my bf, and others that have equipment like CNC machines that I could never afford. These folks are kind enough to do my work for little or no cost only cause they getr a charge out of seeing a girl try to outsmart a bunch of engineers that designed this stuff. If I had to pay for every time I tried to do something that turned out bad, I would either be broke or have hung myself. Even though the car is under warranty, I do whatever I want cause the Jag mechanic always is willing to cover me, only cause my fiance has done him so many free financial analysis advice. I post the pics I do cause I dont want people to make the mistakes I do or mayb they can *** up with a better way to do things or improve on something I do. I dont want anyone to go thru what hapened to me when taking off the blower pulley

Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

OK, here's the sort of contrast you're talking about:

Both are V8s; the 458 is a bit smaller at 4.5l. However, the 458 revs to 9000 RPM, which is going to be a big contributor to that scream. Secondly, this is the 458 exhaust:

It's very short - the resonant frequencies will be much higher than the long pipes on the R-S. So I think you'll struggle to find an exhaust configuration for the XKR that can generate the sort of wail the 458 can put out. You should still be able to achieve a different sound from other XKRs, but I don't think it's going to be the same timbre as a 9000-RPM mid-engined V8.

Attached Thumbnails Need Advice-2011-wheelsandmore-ferrari-458-italia-exhaust-1600x1200.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SoCal Babe (02-15-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

The sound of newer supercars such as the Ferrari is not my cup of tea, it is a high pitched, wailing, sort that lacks the deep base resonance of old time V-8s with headers. In the above video, I actually preferred the Jag's sound of the two. That deep roar that comes out of even new Corvettes is one that I much prefer. My '72 Pantera which can not travel down any street without setting off every car alarm in the neighborhood, also has that deep bellowing base that makes it sound so potent. The Ferrari's sound as well as those from F-1 race cars are so high pitched and even, they sound like high revving sewing machines. Next time I pull the Pantera out, I'll record some sound and add to the post, and you'll immediately notice a more satisfying note.

Attached Thumbnails Need Advice-vp__3982-1280x853-.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 AM
ud
Smile

Originally Posted by tberg
The sound of newer supercars such as the Ferrari is not my cup of tea, it is a high pitched, wailing, sort that lacks the deep base resonance of old time V-8s with headers. In the above video, I actually preferred the Jag's sound of the two. That deep roar that comes out of even new Corvettes is one that I much prefer. My '72 Pantera which can not travel down any street without setting off every car alarm in the neighborhood, also has that deep bellowing base that makes it sound so potent. The Ferrari's sound as well as those from F-1 race cars are so high pitched and even, they sound like high revving sewing machines. Next time I pull the Pantera out, I'll record some sound and add to the post, and you'll immediately notice a more satisfying note.
I appreciate your opinion. I have driven everything from a 'Cuda with a 383 with open headers to a 69 vette with a 427 Tri-power. But I dont own these cars, but I did Appreciate the sound. Those cars were from a different generation and a different automotive era. Thats not me. I dont want to sound like my dad is driving down the street. However, I dont want to sound like I am a kid driving a subaru with a beer can coming out the back end and fartin down the road. I have finished the exhaust system that I originally posted, and while I am a little disappointed that I didnt get the ferrari scream , the sound does sound awesome, with the Hyabusa motorcycle baffles in the pipes, but more like I am driving a big block chevy. I am grateful the baffles didnt make me blow the engine. I am getting the back pressure now that I desired. I can live with the sound it has cause it doesnt sound like a Jag or really anything else. My fiance describes it best, "It's vicious and bitchy at the same time" . That will have to do for now!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
I have finished the exhaust system that I originally posted, and while I am a little disappointed that I didnt get the ferrari scream , the sound does sound awesome, with the Hyabusa motorcycle baffles in the pipes, but more like I am driving a big block chevy.
We gotta hear it! - record a video clip, post it to YouTube, then post the YouTube link here (you can't post videos directly on the forum)

Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
My '72 Pantera which can not travel down any street without setting off every car alarm in the neighborhood, also has that deep bellowing base that makes it sound so potent.
My '85 Alfa GTV6 use to do the same. I had Ansa euro pipes and sport exahaust. Stand behind the car and the back pressure could knock you over. Anymore free flowing and there would be flames coming out the back off throttle! I was living in highly congested neighborhood and so many alarms would go off every time to and from. Didn't help I would high rev 1st & 2nd gear (tall gears) driving around.