XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need advice on coolant pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018 | 11:16 AM
|
Default Need advice on coolant pipes

Hi Guys,

Sure enough my 2012 XKR with 32k miles on it started leaking shortly after my CPO replaced the water pump (I assume its increased pressure).

I got to the dealer right as I saw coolant burning off. No overheat light..no low coolant light. It was close.

My service advisor is friendly and normally works with me. In this case, the pipe are not covered as they are plastic (and CPO ran out last month anyway).

Bleed Hose
Upper and Lower coolant pipes.

Install and labor $2400. He said he could get it down to $2k. He said its about 10 hours of labor.

What other pipes should they be doing while they are in there? He say's its best to fix what's broke... I know that I need the hard to get to pipes replaced because they are at the end of their life span. I told him I would reach out to our forum community to find out what other pipes must be replaced while they are in there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe

Old 11-20-2018 | 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Typer
Hi Guys,

Sure enough my 2012 XKR with 32k miles on it started leaking shortly after my CPO replaced the water pump (I assume its increased pressure).

I got to the dealer right as I saw coolant burning off. No overheat light..no low coolant light. It was close.

My service advisor is friendly and normally works with me. In this case, the pipe are not covered as they are plastic (and CPO ran out last month anyway).

Bleed Hose

Install and labor $2400. He said he could get it down to $2k. He said its about 10 hours of labor.

What other pipes should they be doing while they are in there? He say's its best to fix what's broke... I know that I need the hard to get to pipes replaced because they are at the end of their life span. I told him I would reach out to our forum community to find out what other pipes must be replaced while they are in there.

Thanks!
Joe
Unfortunately, our entire cooling system is plastic and very easy to disturb or break. Sometimes while replacing parts such as the water pump, there is collateral damage. There are numerous pipes, and some are labor intensive to get to such as the crossover pipe. Most Jag dealers will not change the crossover pipe during water pump replacement as it is additional labor. Can't recommend which pipes to replace but make sure you are getting it done by Jag or a reputable shop. Personally, I'd be a little annoyed that this happened shortly after your water pump replacement and would be thinking it might have been a situation of incidental damage. I'd pursue that ave if possible. $2,000 is alot of money right after replacing a water pump. Good luck. and let us know how you make out.

Old 11-20-2018 | 12:30 PM
|

Thanks for your response. I guess these pipes let go around 2,500 miles after the new pump was installed.
AJ813865 is the cross over pipe I believe. That is being changed in addition to a few other tubes and hoses.

I knew these were bound to break. Our high heat down here and the age of the car meant I didn't have long. I guess I'm lucky that it happened in their service entrance.

Joe

Old 11-20-2018 | 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

I plumbed my Mustang for life using all stainless braided Teflon lines with AN fittings. Granted these Jags have quite a bit more lines, but if I ever get stuff torn down enough to warrant replacing ANY OEM lines you can bet your butt that I'd NOT use any stock replacement junk. It would probably cost me over $1k in parts to replace ALL with BSS/Teflon, but damned if I'd cheap out if I got that far. Bit by bit repairs, I'd use off-the-shelf rubber hoses with aluminum fittings and worm clamps before I'd use ANY plastic, especially stock Jag stuff. Replacing old junk with newer junk isn't a repair, it's incompetent.

Old 11-20-2018 | 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys,

Bleed Hose

Thanks!
Joe
I guess I need some learning here as I thought the 5.0 XKR didn't have a plastic coolant plumbing issue similar to the XK. Can you identify what pipes were effected . I just would like to get a better understanding of the problem.

Old 11-20-2018 | 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I plumbed my Mustang for life using all stainless braided Teflon lines with AN fittings. Granted these Jags have quite a bit more lines, but if I ever get stuff torn down enough to warrant replacing ANY OEM lines you can bet your butt that I'd NOT use any stock replacement junk. It would probably cost me over $1k in parts to replace ALL with BSS/Teflon, but damned if I'd cheap out if I got that far. Bit by bit repairs, I'd use off-the-shelf rubber hoses with aluminum fittings and worm clamps before I'd use ANY plastic, especially stock Jag stuff. Replacing old junk with newer junk isn't a repair, it's incompetent.
Kind of doesn't work that way on these systems. I did some parts on my sons Lincoln LS, turned blanks out of aluminum, welded them up and clamped the original hose to it. A lot of the rubber is molded in oddball forms and a lot of the plastic moldings do multiple things. Kind of a wonky setup but it works.

Old 11-20-2018 | 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks!
Joe
Id use a mirror and try to see if it's leaking from around the water pump. Old mechanic's saying, "last thing first"...