XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need opinions on paint color.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Is there any other colour for a Jaguar other than british racing green;-)
I often wonder as well...

-d

Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since Astons have a similar look to the xkr, I decided to google "orange Aston Martin". After looking at some of the Astons, I think I am going to go for a repaint. I'm not worried about resale because I don't plan on selling. I just love orange on a curvy car. Jag, Aston, Maserati, lambo....doesn't matter. Just love the look. Google orange Aston and you might agree.(some orange colors are obviously better than others)

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions on paint color.-image.jpg  

Last edited by Dirtboy; 09-08-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Consider the www.DIPYOURCAR.com spray material. I was somewhat impressed with the process after watching many of their videos on the process and how it is sprayed on. Great color choices, easy spray on.

I would most likely consider the www.dipyourcar.com method of a custom paint over the wrap process.

Check out the www.dipyourcar.com and see what you might think about it. I have seen some fancy cars going thru this process and they look pretty good in the end result.

They have several videos and it is interesting to see this new wave of customizing cars. The stuff also can be peeled off. I was surprised at the low cost. These cars painted a Audi R8 with the stuff. Looked pretty awesome at the end.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtboy
Since Astons have a similar look to the xkr, I decided to google "orange Aston Martin". After looking at some of the Astons, I think I am going to go for a repaint. I'm not worried about resale because I don't plan on selling. I just love orange on a curvy car. Jag, Aston, Maserati, lambo....doesn't matter. Just love the look. Google orange Aston and you might agree.(some orange colors are obviously better than others)
Totally loving orange and would be my first pick of color for any sports car like you. Good for you! I would keep the trim as is (as stated earlier). With the car already black, you can get away with leaving much of the engine compartment black; it won't look bad at all.

As for the exact orange, wow... That a touch one. Been digging the soft pearl orange. What color is your interior?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Is there any other colour for a Jaguar other than british racing green;-)
How is this?

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions on paint color.-asitisnowgreen.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I love BRG (My XK is Botanical Fire, which is a high speck count metallic/xirallic green), and my 350z is LeMans Sunset, and my Triumph is... I dunno, some burning sunset orange. I also love the Lambo orange (which is more of a bright orange pearl).

A wrap is going to run you about 5k to do it right. And a good quality respray is going to run you 10k-ish, at least in the NorthWest, and that's if you don't take it to bare metal.

I think an XK would look amazing in any of those orange shades. Good luck with your conundrum, and I look forward to seeing the results!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'd have to say the burnt (Volcano?) Orange on the McLaren mp4 was a stunning color....

Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I love the color orange on true sports cars, not sure about the XK GT. For sure it would look stunning on the F-Type. The larger the car the more "ricer" it looks like the XKRS-GT with the huge rear spoiler (out of place).

I like the color black on the XK and for the purest BRG is blizz.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If Jag did orange, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Something like this :

Sadly, they do not so had to go for Carnelian Red. She is currently sitting at the dealership waiting on PDI and a detailer to have a good go at her. Dealer has instructions that no delivery film or protection is to be removed

Poor old XK was flooded [sniff] and is probably in a small cube on it's way to recycling for tin cans.

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions on paint color.-i-nvgskdw-xl.jpg   Need opinions on paint color.-i-v9mpdd9-l.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Not the exact color I want to do but close enough to give me an idea how orange would look. Thanks to Mike for the photoshop work. Thoughts?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 PM

--

Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Factory color on XKR-S. I don't want to call the rear quarter orange, but it's in the orange family with good sunlight.

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions on paint color.-jaguar-xkr-s-2012-c203805012013024730_6.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

PC XKR,
Although everything here in Southern California is more expensive than other parts of the country, $25K for a first rate paint job seems a bit high. I seem to recall from a few years ago, that when I was going to have my Pantera resprayed, the shop that specializes in restoring, repairing, and servicing these cars offered great paint jobs at about $6-7000 while concours quality paint jobs were in the $10K range including taking it down to bare metal. Now, it wouldn't surprise me that there are some very high end shops that charge $25K, but I wouldn't say that is typical.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Shooting from the hip, I would think a color change is 7-8K for a car that does not need body work or restoration.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

It's going to run about 20k in the Seattle area for a bare metal paint of my Shadow. That also includes seals that are a bit more pricey and an assumption of a few dings and other minor repair spots. But even if you don't have any body work involved, under 10k for a bare metal repaint is not exactly stellar work -- it's man hours that cost, and there's no way around it.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
It's going to run about 20k in the Seattle area for a bare metal paint of my Shadow. That also includes seals that are a bit more pricey and an assumption of a few dings and other minor repair spots. But even if you don't have any body work involved, under 10k for a bare metal repaint is not exactly stellar work -- it's man hours that cost, and there's no way around it.
With a black car, I'd forgo painting deep inside the engine bay; only under the hood.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I like the suggestion up above for using the same orange color that the new F-type came out with. It is a factory Jaguar color so, you know what you get. I think it would look good on this car. I have long complained about the lack of color availability on modern cars. Seem like most cars these days are either black or some sort of silver/gray. This to a real boring degree. For GT or sports cars I'd like more color choices. I loved my BRG XK, it really showed off the lines of the car.

Albert

Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djgold
My Benz CLK was bottle green before I had it resprayed BMW Imola Red and I can tell you, people want it a hell of a lot more now. It was done in 2006 for $3000 and it still looks perfect today.

I'm third to agree with wrapping your Jag though. Won't cost nearly as much, looks good (when done right) and you can change color as your tastes change.
4th on the wrap option. Very flexible and affordable. Though I'm sure there are good wraps and bad wraps, so I'd do a lot of research before settling on a company.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Gregfromuk

I enjoyed viewing the color of forum member, Gregfromuk, chose.

Nice orange!

Sandy

Quick Reply: Need opinions on paint color.