XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

need your all's opinion on something

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default need your all's opinion on something

So i just purchased a 2013 XKR Rodium silver metallic with sports seats in black/red interior.
I absolutely love the car and I'm looking forward to doing a few modifications...
being that it's a silver color, I wanted to add some contrast to it.

So I thought to myself I will Hydro dip all the chrome pieces. originally wanted to HydroD the two front chrome pieces on bumper under headlights, the side emblems which say jaguar, the hoodlouvers, and the rear wing...Took the vehicle to HydroD-er located in San Antonio, TX and they had a few recommendations instead of just going black we thought about doing carbon fiber. Also another recommendation was doing silvery carbon fiber or perhaps even a graphite carbon fiber. The part I really liked these people at the Hydro dipping shop recommended coloring in Jaguar on the side and on hoodlouvers supercharged in red tone to match the brake calipers ...
normally I don't do modifications to my vehicles but in this case I just want to give it a little bit more of a pop.
has anybody on the form site seen or done these modifications to their XKR? Would you happen to have any pictures?? I've searched everywhere with no luck aside from this one.
But the contrast just isn't that exciting the black off silver doesn't do the popping affects I thought it would.
You guys be the judge and please give any input as to what color combinations you believe would look good on this tone sliver. Leaning towards the carbon fiber just trying to decide which color tone is best. Thanks for any and all assistance in advance guys

Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Matte Black on silver looks good if it's tastefully done. I don't know about the Red to match the calipers though...

Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I would not do carbon fiber. On a car of this level, the carbon fiber needs to be real. Matte black is a safe choice. I'd go for the bright brush look of the current RSport trim. If they can't dip it that look; get them painted in that style.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

definitely matte black no carbon fiber wanna bees.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

I wouldn't do black on silver, it looks too matte. Maybe a dark silver or metallic gray.

The washers I'd leave alone, no reason to make the front look busier than it is.

Heck, since you just purchased it why not drive it for a year and see what it says to you during that time. Easy to screw up the look and I don't think hydro comes off easily but will look like crap once it starts to peel. Hard to stay classy with too many hard color changes.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I would not do carbon fiber. On a car of this level, the carbon fiber needs to be real. Matte black is a safe choice. I'd go for the bright brush look of the current RSport trim. If they can't dip it that look; get them painted in that style.
Bright brush look of current R-sport trim...
do you have any photos of what do you mean? Thanks

Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 PM

I swear I was thinking the same thing until I went to this Hydro dipping shop and saw the quality work they do when I walked in they were working on a rear diffuser for Ferrari.
man did the finished product look amazing!
i'll snap some photos next time I'm at the shop just to give you a frame of reference.

Originally Posted by ralphwg

Old 08-23-2017, 09:11 PM

Ralphwg,
I swear I was thinking the same thing until I went to this Hydro dipping shop and saw the quality work they do when I walked in they were working on a rear diffuser for a Ferrari.
man did the finished product look amazing!
i'll snap some photos next time I'm at the shop just to give you a frame of reference.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Here's what carbon fiber hydro dip looks like on my Engine Appearance Cover:

It's not bad from 3 feet away, but it's a far cry from the real deal. At $185, it's a small fraction of the cost of the real deal - and a big bang for the buck in the engine compartment. I not a fan of hydro dip on any exterior parts, as it's tough to do a touch up job when it gets damaged. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-cover-129949/

Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm with you on preferring to keep cars stock.
Which is why I'm also with Ranchero-- drive it for at least a few months. If you're still itching to do the mods, then knock yourself out. (But I agree with the "please, no carbon fiber" comments. It's gonna look "modded.")
Other than a subtle, elegant, non-drug-dealer window tint (which would really make your car pop, BTW), the only mod I've done on my 2010 is adding the leaper badge to the trunk lid. It bugged me every time I drove by a 2012 and newer XK-- I never understood why Jaguar left it off some years. I'm glad I did it.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Flat Black on a jag? NEVER!
Carbon Fiber? Not Me!
Red? Ummmm No!
I agree, drive for a while, then decide. Maybe a darker shade of grey. My opinion is Jaguar nailed it. Don't mess with it.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by dag82
Bright brush look of current R-sport trim...
do you have any photos of what do you mean? Thanks
Note the color of the side vents and trim on the front spoiler:

Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I had a silver XKR which I wanted to do something similar to. I ended up getting cf bonnet vents from Minagallery which came with red (and silver) "supercharged" lettering, you choose which one you want. Looked good.

They cost about $300AUD. The other bits I just did with wrap.

Attached Thumbnails need your all's opinion on something-005.png  
Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 PM

So being the OP figured might as will give you guys an update....Well she sure did speak to me and I heard loud and clear these are the results

This is how my car originally started its life

This is her a Few alterations later! I have to send a thank you shout out to TBerg (for taking the time to go out and visit Chris@Mina when I couldn’t get in touch with them) And Cliff in the parts dept w Colombia Jaguar for helping me get all the OEM parts. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by dag82; 12-04-2018 at 12:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sharx8 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I also wanted some accents on my silver XKR, and I'm not much of a carbon fibre aficionado, so I had my hood louvres painted gloss black (don't like anything matte finish), added a black rear small leaper badge to the rear vertical edge of the trunk lid, added some Mina Gallery red and black R Performance badges to the rear of the side rocker skirts that match the wheel hub covers I got from them, and I had my Kalimnos wheels painted gloss black, as well.. I think if you'd paint your hood vents and wheels black, you'd have all the contrast you'd ever need or want.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I think your wheels are terrific! If i were to change mine your wheels are one of the two designs I would consider. The others are Whitely by Coventry. Your XKR is absolutely beautiful.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 AM

Yeah I remember her Ted
I saw her out at the Supercar Sunday car show when I was visiting Los Angeles back in late August!
You have a beautiful car Ted
I hope to Pantera is treating you well!

Originally Posted by tberg
I also wanted some accents on my silver XKR, and I'm not much of a carbon fibre aficionado, so I had my hood louvres painted gloss black (don't like anything matte finish), added a black rear small leaper badge to the rear vertical edge of the trunk lid, added some Mina Gallery red and black R Performance badges to the rear of the side rocker skirts that match the wheel hub covers I got from them, and I had my Kalimnos wheels painted gloss black, as well.. I think if you'd paint your hood vents and wheels black, you'd have all the contrast you'd ever need or want.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:39 AM

Thanks Ralph
Appreciate the compliment

I think your wheels are terrific! If i were to change mine your wheels are one of the two designs I would consider. The others are Whitely by Coventry. Your XKR is absolutely beautiful.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

I've been lusting for those wheels too. How did you go about acquiring them? (anyone can chime in as to a source if they wish too )

Old 12-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Theyre OEM
purchased with Cliff @ jaguar Land Rover Columbia 803-731-7493

Originally Posted by carealtor
I've been lusting for those wheels too. How did you go about acquiring them? (anyone can chime in as to a source if they wish too )

The following users liked this post:
carealtor (12-04-2018)