XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New 2021 F-type looks tempting....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

I thought Jaguar has plans to pretty much go all electric around 2022 for the entire line. Removing that black cross bar from the front grill should have be done when the car was first introduced.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-11-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If Jaguar comes out with a rear mid-engine car, I'll be looking for my check book! I doubt it'll happen, but how many said the same with Corvette?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jons
i dislike the sharper lines it has, as compared to the XK. in particular the headlights make it look like an audi.
Totally agree. So not Jaguar if you ask me. This over aggressive mean mug face is better left to the Germans. Jaguars have always been about beauty. Not anger. It looks like an Audi or any other car out there. While the original Ftype face was distinct. If that makes the prices of the current generation drop a lot, then great. More beauty for less. But this new thing is as generic as the rest of Jaguar's current line. I saw a concept for a new S-type from back in the day before they brought out the XF and that looked beautiful and like a Jaguar. But modern Jaguar design is nothing more than an Audi wannabe. The F-type was the only one which wasn't. Now that's over.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
The 4 banger diluted the F-Type brand, IMO. What would you think if Ferrari put a 4 banger in there 488? What would it do for the brand?
Again, 100% agree. Basically the same mistake Maserati made when they started offering their saloons with a diesel engine.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

What a bizarre world we live in.
British have the technology and the art, but lack the money and public support.
Italians have the public support (Tifosi) and the passion but lack the money.
Germans lack the passion and soul but have all the money.
And Italians don't have the art? A bit biased there.

I would say the Italians have the art better mastered than anybody.

But agree with you otherwise. Shame indeed.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by gkubrak
woahhhhhhh

Bet it will look nothing like that when it hits production though.
And I doubt it will ever happen. Jaguar LR is bleeding money. They need more crossovers, not sports cars that nobody is buying.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 AM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Was wondering everyone talks about the F Type but as for quality how does it stand up to the XK ,

Old 01-14-2020, 09:18 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
SUPPOSEDLY the next F-Type for 2022 will be all-new, and a mid-engine! Therefore, the 2021 is a minor facelift.
New mid-engined 2022 Jaguar F-Type
I was hoping that was going to be the new F-Type in 2014. I waited before getting my 2013 XKR, after selling my 2011 175 XKR. The F-Type did not live up to my expectations when it was introduced in 2014. I was hoping for something to look more like the C-X75 or the link above. However, I'll buy an F-type for the right price.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by IanXF
Was wondering everyone talks about the F Type but as for quality how does it stand up to the XK ,
You can check the F-Type forum. I have a few friends with them; various years, various engines. None of them are complaining.

SinF (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
If Jaguar comes out with a rear mid-engine car, I'll be looking for my check book! I doubt it'll happen, but how many said the same with Corvette?
Just now seeing the changes would entice me into getting one because of my present state of affairs. Then again when I say the intro of the new C8 Corvette I went out and placed my order deposit. I then sold my 12 XKR and will wait for my new convert. Then again the cost of the F-Type wasn't in my budget so it would have been a jump to get one. If it wasn't for the C8 I'd still have my XKR.

mosesbotbol (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:30 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just now seeing the changes would entice me into getting one because of my present state of affairs. Then again when I say the intro of the new C8 Corvette I went out and placed my order deposit. I then sold my 12 XKR and will wait for my new convert. Then again the cost of the F-Type wasn't in my budget so it would have been a jump to get one. If it wasn't for the C8 I'd still have my XKR.
The C8 is definitely on my radar. I'm waiting to see how the introduction of the basic C8 does and how the quality is. If I'm happy with the basic C8 I'll get the Z06 unless something better comes along.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:30 PM

I just don't see how any Jaguar fan can like the C8. The thing is boxy, badly styled, looks cheap and like a wannabe Euro exotic. So far from grace, space and pace.

ralphwg (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

"BEING HEARD BEFORE YOU ARE SEEN!"
Makes it all worth while.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:12 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
I just don't see how any Jaguar fan can like the C8. The thing is boxy, badly styled, looks cheap and like a wannabe Euro exotic. So far from grace, space and pace.
I get what you're saying. The C8 is definitely a mass production car and not as exclusive as the X150 which is more of a GT. However, I have not seen a C8 yet so I can't comment on the build quality. The C8 is attractive because of the rear engine will offer a lot of driving dynamics, dual clutch trans-axle, the Z06 is alleged to have a flat plane crank engine with epic sound and high revs, it's a completely new car and not an iteration of any previous corvette with virtually no shared parts with the previous generations, the electronics, suspension, chassis, and new systems are far superior and more modern than the F-type Jaguar. The F type was a cheap build for Jaguar using many parts from the X150 parts bin. When it came out I was not impressed. I was hoping for a rear engine, dual clutch, more exotic looking sports car in line with the X-C75. The C8 is definitely raising the bar. The C8 will also be much more affordable to maintain than other sports cars in the same league offering similar performance characteristics--the F type is not in this league.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
mosesbotbol (01-15-2020), shemp (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeV8
I like C8 for the following reasons: It is a mid-engine V8 car with unbelievable performance that costs only $68K. Its grace is value - performance per $ is simply unmatched by anything else sold today. As a result, the other car manufacturers, including Jaguar, will have to up their game substantially.

I think Jaguar abandoning SVR F-type is partially a response to this - no F-type can keep up with a base C8, and at SVR price point you can make a case of "buying two". Instead, JLR moved SVR tech to F-type R, making it a better value.

Last edited by SinF; 01-15-2020 at 08:22 AM.
shemp (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

C8 is going to sell like hot cakes.

shemp (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
I get what you're saying. The C8 is definitely a mass production car and not as exclusive as the X150 which is more of a GT. However, I have not seen a C8 yet so I can't comment on the build quality. The C8 is attractive because of the rear engine will offer a lot of driving dynamics, dual clutch trans-axle, the Z06 is alleged to have a flat plane crank engine with epic sound and high revs, it's a completely new car and not an iteration of any previous corvette with virtually no shared parts with the previous generations, the electronics, suspension, chassis, and new systems are far superior and more modern than the F-type Jaguar. The F type was a cheap build for Jaguar using many parts from the X150 parts bin. When it came out I was not impressed. I was hoping for a rear engine, dual clutch, more exotic looking sports car in line with the X-C75. The C8 is definitely raising the bar. The C8 will also be much more affordable to maintain than other sports cars in the same league offering similar performance characteristics--the F type is not in this league.
I agree. The F-type is in a league above.

The C8 is going to be everywhere. The F-type will stay rare.

I'm not even talking about the build quality. I'm talking about the design itself. It looks cheap. It looks like somebody who doesn't know what a rear mid engine car is designed it.

As far as an affordable mid engine machine we have had that for decades now. It's called a Cayman. Most likely the most competent sports car sold today and will probably still be after the C8 comes on sale. And it's a Porsche! More power? I'm sure you can up it. And in the end of the day we all know the C8 will never be a better car. Will never be better built. Will never have the same pedigree. And that hideous design!

As for you being disappointed with the F-type, I think this is all on you and not on Jaguar for having unreasonable expectations. It's called the F.type. It's a descendant of the E-type. The E-type was never rear mid engine. You were hoping for a budget XJ220. But the truth is Jaguar has no tradition in building rear mid engine cars. They built a couple. But that's not their thing. They never made a mass produced one and quite gladly I'm glad. Because if they did, it would either be half baked like the C8 or would cost a lot. If that's what I wanted I would go to the people who build these cars.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I like C8 for the following reasons: It is a mid-engine V8 car with unbelievable performance that costs only $68K. Its grace is value - performance per $ is simply unmatched by anything else sold today. As a result, the other car manufacturers, including Jaguar, will have to up their game substantially.

I think Jaguar abandoning SVR F-type is partially a response to this - no F-type can keep up with a base C8, and at SVR price point you can make a case of "buying two". Instead, JLR moved SVR tech to F-type R, making it a better value.
I can understand you may be excited for the C8. But grace? Where? It's more classless than any of the ricer cars out there. Aston Valkyrie it is not. Ferraris can be vulgar. But the C8 takes vulgar to a new low level. Like I said, I just don't understand people who like Jaguars, Astons and Alfas, Maseratis etc having any good words for the C8's design. It's so tasteless if you start from this side of things.

As for performance per $ unmatched by anything else sold, well yes. So in other words, it's a Corvette. The only selling point of Corvette has always been cheap performance.

I don't think Jaguar or any other premium manufacturer will have to up any game. For the same reason nobody cares a Tesla model S is faster than most supercars. It's a Chevy! Think anybody shopping for an Aston or Porsche really cares if a cheap Chevy is faster? That's not how it works, fortunately. Jaguar is still premium.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

We each have our own opinion of the style we like. That's what makes the world go around. My tendencies are reflected below. ENjoy the ride.

Queen and Country (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
We each have our own opinion of the style we like. That's what makes the world go around. My tendencies are reflected below. ENjoy the ride.

you like red...

I don't find any correlation of "if you like these marques, you can't like the others". There are many factors that go into what we like and why.

Quick Reply: New 2021 F-type looks tempting....