XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New C8 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
If this was just a "track car" debate then this is relevant. Once you turn any car into a very specific function there are cult favorites. Do I want to own a Pinto, no, but the drag crowd used to love it.

For everyday driving the Miata is a chick car, or for the softer man crowd.
My Drag car is a Mustang II, so almost in the Pinto class, but more 'class', so to speak.
It's brutal. Still fairly low-budget also, under $15,000 total cost (plus a lot of my labor) and it has changed many times since project cars are never really finished. Certainly not a friendly street car, but it does do street and get a lot of attention (sometimes too much).

Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Not really answering your question but I know we will end up with a C7 at some point. My step son saw his first ever at Le Mans (we don't really see Corvettes in England) and it was love followed by obsession at first sight, and has remained ever since. He is hoping the C8 collapses interest and prices in the C7 - his target is a C7 in 10 years time, bought in the US, shipped over, and painstakingly adapted to look like the works racing cars. He's talented and keen enough to make it happen - he will just have to wait a few years to afford the insurance!

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:18 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

If I were thinking of buying a C8 - and I probably never will - I'd wait a couple of years to let the engineers work out the final bugs. The first year of any car that has gone through heavy re-design and re-engineering will have issues. BMW motorcycles were famous for having final engineering done "in the field" by early purchasers' feedback. The changes made were trumpeted as "improvements" while the original problems were never acknowledged. I am not saying this will happen here, but it's not unusual for second- and third-year models to have changes prompted by field experience. I wish jagtoes the best with his.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
JagRag (11-24-2020), ralphwg (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My Drag car is a Mustang II, so almost in the Pinto class, but more 'class', so to speak.
It's brutal. Still fairly low-budget also, under $15,000 total cost (plus a lot of my labor) and it has changed many times since project cars are never really finished. Certainly not a friendly street car, but it does do street and get a lot of attention (sometimes too much).
I can imagine it would get attention. I saw a tubbed out older 'stang on the road here in Tampa, really I heard it and turned to see what was generating all that engine power burble. It was just past rush hour on a busy street, was starting to get dark and we had a flash dump of rain. He had no wipers, huge slicks, and couldn't take off at the light at all without sliding all over the place, from what I could tell his clutch wasn't designed for finesse. Sounded great though! Thinking he decided to take it out to knock off the cobwebs and probably stuck on wet roads unexpectedly.

Cee Jay (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I find it weird the idea that a Miata is a car to appeal to female owners.
My observation is female owners tend to go for the bigger cars, especially large SUV's or crossovers.

The small cars tend to go to the guys that love to drive hard.
Most 'Vettes tend to lazy around.
My Z06 is an exception to that; but then, I came from a 4 cylinder small car and I still drive the 'Vette the same way.
In the 'Vette, the time to enjoy being on throttle is a lot shorter, as the speed is attained much faster.
In the 'Vette 1st gear takes to me to most roadway speed limits, and 2nd will clear most interstate speed limits.
To some extent, that is the fun of a Miata. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, push it hard through several gear changes.

I think some of it depends on where you can drive, the long straight roads rising to the foot hills of the rockies present a different situation from the canyons of California.

1st and current gen Miatas are my favourites.
Current gen, revs out to 7,500RPM from the factory.
I like revs.

Last edited by Tervuren; 11-23-2020 at 09:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tervuren:
Bill51sdr (12-15-2021), SEAICE (03-06-2021), SinF (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:19 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I was told some years ago at a Jaguar event by some marketing head whom I asked why the Jaguars XKs were so much cheaper (ca 30% at the time) in the US than in Europe, that it was mainly because of the Corvette and Mustang, which the American customer see as the reference and the reference price, even if a Jaguar is in theory in a higher market segment with much more luxury in it...

Thus it is thanks to the Corvette that you guys get such ( to European êtes) crazy bargains on Jaguars...

The following 2 users liked this post by thierry_1500:
MarkyUK (11-25-2020), SinF (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
To some extent, that is the fun of a Miata. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, push it hard through several gear changes.
There is a lot of fun in this.

Anecdote. I was driving my friend's Miata when we pull at the stop light next to GT-R. They looked at us in a way that I knew they would try to race. So I stage the car, get perfect launch, bangshift it into second, get into third gear. I think it was cleanest take off I have done in a long time as everything was by the book and worked out perfectly.

GT-R made a point of waiting 10 seconds then blasted past us.

I had more fun. Doing the same in my F-type I would be at 'go directly to jail' speeds. Second gear gets me to highway speeds.

I don't personally own a Miata, I just have too many cars and not enough time or space to store them. However, if I ever step up to 12 car garage estate, one of these will be reserved for something like track-ready Miata or S2000.

Last edited by SinF; 11-24-2020 at 07:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Jaxxr1 (11-24-2020), MarkyUK (11-25-2020), Tervuren (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-BMI7xbvZA&t=320s This is the same interior but I got the torch red exterior. Same options.

DGL (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 08:56 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-BMI7xbvZA&t=320s This is the same interior but I got the torch red exterior. Same options.
Good spec. Torch Red is classic. It'll take you back to your Ferrari days, but in a much more modern package.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Interesting car this Chevrolet. Since styling is obviously subjective, to my eyes, it's ugly, but I'm sure there are others who find it beautiful.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

If you would have told me I would at age 76 ever buy another Corvette I would say you are smoking something that smells funny. I bought a 1963 Corvette convertible back in 1964. Then a T-Top in 1971. Then it was 4 various Jags from E type to XJS. Loved the smooth flowing design but I was also in love with the Ferrari wedge as in the 1977 308 GTB that I had for 14 years. It then came time for a fun retirement cruiser thus came the 2012 XKR. My bride and I loved it and had fun with it taking various trips. As I mentioned unfortunately after a 2 year battle with cancer my bride of 51 years passed away in Sept of 2019. A month before that the new C8 was introduced which we both liked the styling. After we passed I felt it was time to sell the XKR so with 24K miles on it it took less then a month to sell it. I ordered the C8 in Nov. 2019 and based on the latest info it is on the road to my dealer. Just look at youtube under 2020 Corvette and you'll find maybe 50-100 reviews by "experts" and amateurs . So all of the features check my boxes especially the 2 golf bags in the trunk and airline carry bag in the frunk. So I'll let you know .

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
MarkyUK (11-25-2020), wsn03 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Jagtoes,
Your 308 was just beautiful, and I still think one of the best Ferrari designs of all time. I'm sure you miss taking it out for a fling once in a while. Although, like you, I have a sports car from that vintage, once I got my XKR, it was so much better, more comfortable, more capable of high speed enjoyment without the fear of something breaking, that I found myself absolutely never driving my '72 Pantera. It forced me to rethink whether or not I wanted to keep her, and when I made that decision I was obligated to make it a more user friendly, drivable, more comfortable car, and I spent 4 years having that done, all due to how good the XKR was. And believe it or not, I have on at least one or two occasions put two golf bags in the trunk of the Pantera and gone golfing with my closest friend. Like in the XKR, I think we might have taken the driver and 3 wood out of one bag and laid them on top, but there is a cavernous luggage area above the transaxle that can come in handy. Good luck with the new Corvette, I am sure you will love it. A friend and neighbor who just bought a Pantera and sold his beautiful NSX to finance it, has a deposit on a Corvette convertible which he was told will be arriving next month. He will be selling his piece of junk Nissan GTR to make room, just to never have to ride in that piece of junk again is enough reason to buy the 'Vette. I'm sure I'll get some time behind the Corvette's wheel when it comes. Can't wait for your Corvette impressions.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
jagtoes (11-25-2020), LoudHogRider (01-02-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn03
Not really answering your question but I know we will end up with a C7 at some point. My step son saw his first ever at Le Mans (we don't really see Corvettes in England) and it was love followed by obsession at first sight, and has remained ever since. He is hoping the C8 collapses interest and prices in the C7 - his target is a C7 in 10 years time, bought in the US, shipped over, and painstakingly adapted to look like the works racing cars. He's talented and keen enough to make it happen - he will just have to wait a few years to afford the insurance!

Each generation of 'Vette has its own flavor.
I have my doubts about a price collapse.

wsn03 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Miatas aren't even actually cars. They are little girly transport modules. I do agree though, I could deal with owning a Miata ONLY if I could get rid of it for a large profit. I'd not even drive it, as to avoid the stigma of having touched one.
Gads, now I have the heebie-geebies from just discussing it.
I can feel the love from here CJ!! Perhaps if it was on Michelin rubber??

I had a Mk1 Miata and an automatic to boot, bought for wife who was...wait for it.... a hairstylist. Stock the 0-60 was a slovenly 9s

But before she moved from the states I strapped an eaton Sc to it running at 18psi with methanol injection, had a hayward and scott straight through quad zaust, had it port and polished with a boige performance header and a flyin miata bespoke ECU with in cabin control.

Banzai magazine did a write-up on it (as no one had SC'd an auto before) and on an airfield run it managed a GPS measured 0-60 of 4.3. Then I had a nitros kit fitted to it!

When wife arrived in the UK from the US in 2001 she was too scared of the power, so I got to keep it

Only got rid of as we adopted two kids in 2007.

The good thing about Miata's is that they were/are ultimately customisable with a geometry set-up that allowed for massive DIY changes to suit track/airfield/street at no real cost accept 20 mins of spanner time.

I suspect, had I kept it that would blow most X150's away, and if I had the chance to get it back I'd happily sell my XKR...the headrest speakers alone were sublime

As to WRX's am sorry they've been spanked with the UGLY stick and I'd no be caught dead driving one

Last edited by MarkyUK; 11-25-2020 at 04:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
SinF (11-26-2020), tampamark (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK

The good thing about miata's is that they were/are ultimately customisable with a geometry set-up that allowed for massive DIY changes to suit track/airfield/street at no real cost accept 20 mins of spanner time.

I suspect had I kept it it would blow most X150's away, and if I had the chance to get it back I'd happily sell my XKR...the headrest speakers alone were sublime
A friend of mine had an older crap car while we were in college that he decked out with major mod's, unlike me he had deep parents pockets while in university so it was built right. His car was FAST, he relished in beating high-end cars on the highway, always saying how he blew away a Porsche or Ferrari and he was sure the good looking female in that guys car was wanting to switch over to his ride.

I think the only people he impressed was himself! Same with a fast Miata. Only the owner or other Miata drivers are cheering that one on, there are a ton of squeezer cars that can outperform most high ends.

Shall we even talk about the WRX crowd?

The following 3 users liked this post by tampamark:
Cee Jay (11-25-2020), MarkyUK (11-25-2020), Simon Tan (01-15-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wsn03
GM just shipped their first right hand drive C8 to Japan. I understand they will be selling in UK and down under next year. As far as present resale there was a recent blog about some 30 used C8's for sale from guys who just wanted to turn a quick buck. They are selling used for $20 - $30K over MSRP. Also some unethical dealers selling with a $20K market adjustment. There are still dealers with left over new C7's and they are also getting in C7's on trades for C8's. The 2021 cars are sold out and the 2022 Z06 already has a large opder base. So this would be a good time to pick up a used C7. Should be getting them at bargain prices. .

The following 4 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Cee Jay (11-25-2020), MarkyUK (11-25-2020), tampamark (11-25-2020), wsn03 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 02:29 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

In my opinion the best thing about driving the C8 is that you can see how ugly the outside is. The worst thing is you have to look at the interior. What was Chevrolet thinking. Square steering wheel is hideous, reminds me of a 1975 Austin Allegro (all agro) , the dash / center console is odd to say the least and the screen is not mounted straight. I don't care if it is a great car or not, I could not and would not drive one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mufc:
MarkyUK (11-25-2020), NBCat (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

I think the only people he impressed was himself! Same with a fast Miata. Only the owner or other Miata drivers are cheering that one on, there are a ton of squeezer cars that can outperform most high ends.

Shall we even talk about the WRX crowd?
IM(less than H)O as long as you do it for YOU and not other peeps, then that's what matters

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
tampamark (11-25-2020), Tervuren (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
IM(less than H)O as long as you do it for YOU and not other peeps, then that's what matters
Very true! You know, it might also be engrained cultural issue, in UK and Europe smaller compact cars have been the norm forever it seems like. Here in the US not so much. The young women gravitate to small cute cars, while the men folk bigger cars.

I have seen a couple of C8's recently, nice looking but didn't have the presence in person I thought they would.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

The young women gravitate to small cute cars, while the men folk bigger cars.
Careful, your stereotypes may be showing. A lot of young women around here go for small electric cars, cute or not, or don't own one at all. And I've seen a fair number of women (age uncertain) driving pickups (many with livestock trailers), full-size SUVs and rolling living rooms, AKA minivans.

Years ago, then we moved to Houston, my wife's car was the smallest Acura model. The first day she came home from commuting to work, she had decided to sell the car in favor of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, to try to get into (or close to) the same weight class as most of the other drivers on I-10. At that time, the Ford F-150 was the State Car of Texas.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 11-25-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: speling
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
LoudHogRider (01-02-2021), tampamark (11-25-2020)

Quick Reply: New C8 corvette