XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New car niggles

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New car niggles

2012 XKR Convertible. Mileage 1023 mile so far.

I’m lucky to have a large workshop and inspection pit.
Faults found having a nose about.

Water in the lamp on the boot lid. ¼ full and fully steamed up with it. Dealer arranged for replacement. No crack, just a poor made lamp.

Front lower splitter on bumper (AeroKit) bolts missing and a massive gap on one side and 15mm the other. Took the rest of the secure bolts out and then warmed the splitter with a hair dryer. It was then removed, and re stuck back on with the original tapes and bolted up. Replaced the missing bolts with Stainless torque screws.

Drivers window on one touch upwards hits the top and bounces back down fully. Quite annoying. Not sure on this one yet. It sometimes takes four attempts for it to work as it should. The only thing I have noticed is the inside of the glass smears with oil or grease after use of about an hour, both sides. It looks like dirty glass then.

Slight leak on the diff. A very slight weep. The old car did this too. They replaced the complete diff in the end because of not being able to plug it on my old car.

The exhaust on this car makes me wonder who would want to pay for a louder sports up graded exhaust. In Dynamic mode and with sport selected it pops and bangs like a rally car. It makes everyone turn heads when walking. Switch dynamic off and you can hear a pin drop.

Apart from the niggles fantastic car and the improvement on the 4.2 (2008) is unbelievable The sports seats are just as comfortable and look great.

Last edited by unders; 10-23-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

Unders,

I'm surprised to hear about the problems with your new 2012 XKR. It makes me wonder about the factory's final QC checks.

I had the same problem with the passenger window on my 2009 XKR. I tried the reset procedure several times, but it didn't work. The cause turned out to be a mis-aligned windlow track, which was fixed under warranty. See this previous post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bration-57518/

As for the exhaust note, I wasn't fond of the normal quiet mode so I pulled fuse 19 and am much happier now. See these previous posts:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ust-wow-77658/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-19-a-62736/

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I noticed the lamp unit on the boot full of water the other day.
Rang the dealer they ordered one. The selling dealer was great with this. I took it in to be fitted at a different dealer. 50 minutes later it was ready.

I drove home, after I parked and looked back, I could see no gasket around the lamp unit. I then opened the boot to see the trim was hanging off. When I closed the boot it rattled. This was the broken trim clip rattling inside the boot skins.

They are useless unless you watch them every step of the way. All dealers are the same these days. Regardless of make. Another trip back and an hour later all was fixed. Red faces for them.

The exhaust fuse 19 worked on my last car great. This was a 4.2 , 2008MY
This 5.0 car has the dynamic button which opens the valves on pressing it. It also stiffens the suspension up. I’m not sure if it will work on the suspension if you pull the fuse.
Perhaps someone else knows. I don’t think it will alter the exhaust note though because the valves open on the switch when pressed.

Any info welcome :-)