XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New competitor to the XK/R? The Stingray....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default New competitor to the XK/R? The Stingray....

So the new C7 Corvette Stingray was introduced at the Detroit autoshow. I'm actually liking it except for the Camaro style taillights (might grow on me). I think the new Vette will be a competitor to the XK/R although it's probably already an indirect competor as many here has come from a Corvette to a XK/R.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

In my opinion the best looking vette since the 50's. I think the zr1 has outperformed the jag hands down but now it's a close call in appearance.

The only thing that the vette wont be able to compare with is the smooth elegance of the new jag. Regardless the vette is an all american muscle car so it should be very aggressive. Personally I think it's gorgeous.

Thanks for the post, I had no idea they released the new vette.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Agreed that this seems to be a better Vett than previous. The issue for me is that I like GT type cars suitable for all day cruising in comfort with some level of refinement.

Few, if any Vetts of the past met this requirement for me. So the question remains:

Is this new Vett a GT car or not?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Looks like head on sports car. I like it better in darker colors rather than red and with a mono color dash. Passenger dash seems disjointed in contrasting color. Not as elegant as xk, but like it.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The reason a Corvette will never be a direct competitor to the Jag is simply exclusivity.

As far as performance the top Vettes have been blowing away many of the far higher priced and brand name competition for many years. But, the fact that there are so many of them on the street takes away from their exotic appeal. I think that it would serve them better to make much more distinct visual differences between their base models and their top performers, such as the ZR1. Most average folks can not differentiate between the base model and ones that sells for twice the price.

Part of why people will pay more for a product is that they desire it to look something "special". When you sell hundreds of thousand of a model, no matter how great it might be, it is difficult to maintain that "special" status.

Albert

Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

ive never been a vette guy, but damn this is one good looking car.

unfortunately it'll probably blow the doors off the XK, possibly even XKR

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Pricing?

I found an AOL article that said that the base model will probably be higher than the base C6, which was a little over $49K. I wonder what a well equipped model will cost?

If the base model is $55K to $60K, I imagine a well equipped model will run around $70K to $80K?

Not many current Corvette owners will be buying new at those prices (IMO).

I do like the changes, but (personally) I'd have to have a well equipped version...

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
ive never been a vette guy, but damn this is one good looking car.

unfortunately it'll probably blow the doors off the XK, possibly even XKR
It will definitely take the XK...

Not sure about the 5L XKR, or XKR-S. Spec wise the 5L XKRand XKR-S have more horses and higher torque...but the Stingray will be lighter. This is based on the specs stated in the video.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to break up the party, I'm not liking it at all.

I'm a huge Vette fan, having owned 10! (Rare cars here in the UK). Vettes have always been unique individual cars, a stand alone brand. But now it's a mix of Cadillac and Camero. I'm not a fan of that new boxy look at all.

The herratige and soul has been ripped from this great brand. The C6 beautiful lines never looked out of place sitting next to Ferraris or Lamborghini's unlike Nissan's GTR that was clearly out of place. A different type of car. The C7 now sits in the Nissan GTR camp. The Japanese now have a new drifting partner.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm struggling with the tail lights. Beyond that it looks like a natural evolution, and the Corvette faithful should embrace it with open arms. New buyers may as well if they've upgraded the interior. Performance should be sharp...they've had 60 years to improve it!

Bruce

Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I, too, think it's a natural evolution and it was a long time coming. I don't think that the XKR and Corvette are really competitors, although I was "cross-shopping" them. They're two completely different animals. I see the Corvette has retained its tradition of goofy, cheap looking interiors!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM

I'm not sure it's evolution. Seems corporate management getting in the way of its step forward.
Maybe you can correct me, but by the looks of things the C7 is a clever re-skin of the C6, not too much changed underneath?

Corvette have always had history of having a duff model in between good ones. The C6 was evolution, the C7 is the duff one.

P.s. Sorry for negativity, I've been super excited for this day and really upset it's not what I thought. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Last edited by johnnnnnnyy; 01-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

No pricing announced yet but C&D interview with Tadge Jeuchter (chief Corvette engineer) and he said the C7 will have the similar price point as the current C6. He goes on saying if you can afford a current C6 you will be able to afford a C7. He also said they actually looked into a mid engine design but decided to go with the same front engine rear drive layout. C7 keeps the tradition of pushrod V8 and leaf springs. Looks like the slushbox A6 is still using a torque converter instead of dual clutch. Backend still looks too much of a camaro and still not sure if I like it. Hopefully the got rid of the plastic bumpers...err...I mean polyurethane bumper.

C7 is a brand new ground up Corvette. The C6 was actually the evolution of the C5 in terms of frame and parts. Now the base C7 comes with aluminum frame as only the C6 Z06 and Zr1 had the aluminum frame and looks like the even the base C7 will have a carbon fiber hood and hood. Tadge also said every piece is different but from a distance it looks the same. He goes on saying none of the parts on the frame on the C7 is shared with the C6 steel frame car or the C6 aluminum frame car. Jordan Lee of Chevy also says the new engine is a all new design. 450Hp/450TQ. He said the only carry over on the engine is the 2 bolts that hold the starter on, a valve spring retainer and keepers, and piston pins carry over.

C&D is estimating base price will be $58k and est 0-60MPH in 3.9 sec and 1/4 mile in 12.3 sec for the base car. Now that I moved to a Jag and AMG, not sure if I can go back to a Vette.

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 01-14-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
Sorry to break up the party, I'm not liking it at all.

I'm a huge Vette fan, having owned 10! ... I'm not a fan of that new boxy look at all.

The heritage and soul have been ripped from this great brand. The C6 beautiful lines never looked out of place sitting next to Ferraris or Lamborghini's unlike Nissan's GTR that was clearly out of place. A different type of car. The C7 now sits in the Nissan GTR camp...

Johnnnnnnyy,

I agree. I was also a huge Vette fan, until I bought my XKR. But I owned only one Corvette ... that I drove for 42 years!

Corvette was always a style innovator, from the first "plastic bathtub" in 1953, to the Stingray and Mako Shark show car and through to the C7. One glance and you knew what it was - nothing else on the road looked like a Corvette!

The new C7, in my opinion, fails to continue that innovative design. Sure, it has some evolutionary design elements and you can tell that it's a Corvette. But, unfortunately, it is now a "me, too" car, with too many bits and pieces copied from other cars, including the front fender line reminiscent of the Ferrari Calilfornia, the side and roof from the GTR and the grille and rear end from a Camaro. The Corvette never had the corporate GM or Chevy family styling; it was always unique. That ended with the C7, which appears to have morphed all the "me, too" design elements into Cadillac's "Art and Science" angular styling theme, as best seen in the CTS-V.

What's with the C7 rear end? It's too bulky - like the C5 was - and too squared off. Was it grafted off a Camaro? And those tail lights? Yuck!

I think the C7 looks like it was designed by a committee whose members didn't talk to each other. The end result is a hodge-podge of some nice tidbits here and there that when stuck together results in a car that is less than the sum of its parts. Just my

Contrast the C7 body design with that of the new Viper, which, in my opinion, is evolutionary and retains it's iconic style. In my opinion, Chrysler did a much better redesign of the Viper than GM did with the Corvette.

Maybe I'll change my mind after I see the C7 it in the flesh, but for now I'm not crazy about the design.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-14-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
I'm not sure it's evolution. Seems corporate management getting in the way of its step forward.
Maybe you can correct me, but by the looks of things the C7 is a clever re-skin of the C6, not too much changed underneath?

Corvette have always had history of having a duff model in between good ones. The C6 was evolution, the C7 is the duff one.

P.s. Sorry for negativity, I've been super excited for this day and really upset it's not what I thought. Maybe it'll grow on me.
I'll have to see it in the flesh, but with the exception of those funky taillights, it still says "Corvette" to me. But I do think it looks pretty strange.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 AM

I've had a night to sleep on it after my upset rants yesterday (sorry again!).

It's a fresh morning, I slept well. I have my morning cuppa tea...nope it still looks bad

It looks like a poor Chinese copy of the Corvette. Yes you know those poor copy cars we see at Chinese motor shows.
This inside looks great though, a touch of F-Type esq?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

F-Type is a closer competitor to Vette than XK.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I love the new C7 design. Admittedly the rear is still a little awkward, but all of those goofy vents are actually functional. With the Z51 track option, the rear diff is actively cooled by the air flowing through. I'll deal with ugly if it's functional.

And no, I don't think the XKR will compete against the Vette. Probably closer to the F-type. But good googley moogley that's a lot of bang for the buck. Plus the interior is fantastic. This is a driveable track toy and I'm watching with great interest.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM

If the C7 Z06 will look like this (minus the wing) then I'm warming

Attached Thumbnails New competitor to the XK/R? The Stingray....-corvette-c7-stingray-racer-jonsibal.jpg  

Last edited by johnnnnnnyy; 01-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

My friend in Detroit just saw it at the NAIAS and felt the exterior design, specifically the hood, was much more Corvette-ish.

Attached Thumbnails New competitor to the XK/R? The Stingray....-image.jpg