XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New custom interior for my '08 XK

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
So the original upholstery is still underneath the new leather overlay? Or you're just saying they used the original panel to create the new fiberglass one, and then replace it entirely with the new one? How did they do the center console?
Actually, it's a little of both. As shown in the attached photo, the upper strip is a wrapped fiberglass mold, and the bottom area will be upholstered with new beige leather. The same is true on the upper door panels, the fiberglass cast covers the original panel. In other places, like the lower door panels, the carpeting is removed and replaced with upholstery. The seats are being completely reupholstered with new leather and croc hides. That's because they can't match-up the holes in the twin-needle stitches already there.

Plastic pieces, like the seat bases and hinge covers, are being covered with matching dark brown ultra-suede, because it will stretch enough to fit the curved shapes. There will also be dark brown carpets throughout. A few pieces, like the speaker grills, are simply repainted.

Muddydog: Which console are you asking about - upper or lower?

I hope I'm making sense of all this. You can also track progress on the upholstery shop's website: http://www.headlinerx.com/08_Jaguar_Olson.html

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-dscn1306.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-interior-design-concept-rear.jpg  

Last edited by iamddo; 09-06-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer one question.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Default New custom interior

Spending more money, but if it's already torn apart, why not do it all? Dyna-mat insulation panels (for heat and sound) were installed on roof and floor. Decided to recover all panels in the trunk in brown, as well. Colors should match, right?

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-trunk-panels.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Default Progress report: New custom interior

Progress report: Movement on several fronts this week.
First, I got the steering wheel back, and I love it. Note (in the photo) that they "dipped" the aluminum spokes and finished them in wood-burl. I had the dash vents and the top panel of the center stack wood-grained, too.
Second, the rear seats were completed, which makes me even more excited about seeing the front seats upholstered.
Third, we started fitting some of the interior pieces. The carpets are in, along with leather "skirts" on the console. The center console fits nicely, after we combined the panel aft of the console and the one between the rear seats. This photo also shows the front door upholstery. So far, so good.
The headliner and trunk panels are also complete, but will show those photos later.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-steering-wheel.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-rear-seats.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-fitting-1.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Default New custom interior - FINISHED

FINISHED The new interior is finished, and I'm really happy with the results. There were very few problems that required changes from my original plan. For the full series of before-and-after photos, go to the shop's web page: 08 Jaguar Olson
Thanks to all of you who are following this post.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-08-16-13-015.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-10-01-13-084.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-10-01-13-058.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

That is truly a one-of-a-kind interior you have there. Good for you!!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

22 Words | Incredible footage of a jaguar stalking and catching a caiman

So this really happened? The video never showed what the Jaguar did with the Caiman after eating the meat. I guess now we know!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Oh wow! That is fabulous. I love the steering wheel. Just amazing work.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Probably one of the coolest custom interiors I've seen.

It has kind of an old western cowboy feel to it and it was done very well // very, very nice.

Quick question: you had the rear trunk floor-mat re-done in a brown. What was the material you used... suede? Also, was the old trunk floor-mat material removed to make way for the brown, OR was the brown mat simply assembled over the old mat?

Congratulations again.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Default Where's the 'gator?

Originally Posted by R_Rated
22 Words | Incredible footage of a jaguar stalking and catching a caiman

So this really happened? The video never showed what the Jaguar did with the Caiman after eating the meat. I guess now we know!
...and the leftovers were DELICIOUS.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
Probably one of the coolest custom interiors I've seen.

It has kind of an old western cowboy feel to it and it was done very well // very, very nice.

Quick question: you had the rear trunk floor-mat re-done in a brown. What was the material you used... suede? Also, was the old trunk floor-mat material removed to make way for the brown, OR was the brown mat simply assembled over the old mat?

Congratulations again.
Thanks. I didn't think about the cowboy connection, but it is a Texas car. When I saw the 'gator hide, it reminded me of those old, high-class suitcases and steamer trunks. In fact, I use a couple of medium-sized roller bags that fit on the rear seat and can be belted in for security. I may have them trimmed in matching 'gator leather.
Regarding your question: The shop found the brown trunk material (called "flex carpet) and installed it over the original material. The lift-up spare-tire cover had to be trimmed down a bit to keep it from being a too-tight fit. The removable privacy-panel on the trunk lid is covered in brown ultra-suede, as were the seat bases.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-10-01-13-097.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-10-01-13-101.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

You have got a great taste!

Nice work. Reminds me of the interior in the Aston Martin Vanquish Volante

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-rhd-version-aston-martin-vanquish-volante.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Super nice work, how much did it end up costing you?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Wow! I finally found someone more obsessed with their car than I am!!
Also customizing my 2002 XK8. Already finished the exterior and on to the interior. I actually played with some embossed leathers but decided to go with two tone since I've also modified my fascia in brushed titanium and piano black. New custom interior for my '08 XK-image.jpg

The following users liked this post:
iamddo (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
Wow! I finally found someone more obsessed with their car than I am!!
Also customizing my 2002 XK8. Already finished the exterior and on to the interior. I actually played with some embossed leathers but decided to go with two tone since I've also modified my fascia in brushed titanium and piano black. Attachment 74415
Great look on your car, Philhef. I agree it's important to avoid combining too many colors and/or finishes. That's why I had most of the brushed aluminum refinished in wood burl. The only problem with refinishing a piece is losing whatever is printed on it, as you can see on the steering wheel. For that reason, I didn't refinish the seat controls. By the way, the old-style growler on the dash is elegant.

Last edited by iamddo; 03-01-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iamddo
Great look on your car, Philhef. I agree it's important to avoid combining too many colors and/or finishes. That's why I had most of the brushed aluminum refinished in wood burl. The only problem with refinishing a piece is losing whatever is printed on it, as you can see on the steering wheel. For that reason, I didn't refinish the seat controls. By the way, the old-style growler on the dash is elegant.
Thanks, but its not finished yet! Goes in a week from Monday for the seats, center console to be recovered. I'm doing the doors myself. I've covered them half a dozen time in everything imaginable but landed on black suede for last while. Now the inserts go oatmeal leather as well as seats.
As for badge, I think the XJS is the best design jaguar has ever had. I added the outer ring from the newest badge from my XF. I even used them as wheel centers. New custom interior for my '08 XK-image.jpg

Last edited by philhef; 03-02-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
As for badge, I think the XJS is the best design jaguar has ever had. I added the outer ring from the newest badge from my XF. I even used them as wheel centers.

Phil, I agree. I found one NOS, combined it with the outer ring from my XK's grill badge and placed it between the rear seats. It shows up very well in that spot (photo #1) and makes a nice focal point. I'm considering using the same thing as a hood emblem, (photo #2) but it would be better with the chrome ring. Not sure I want to drill holes there, however.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-jag-back-seat.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-xjs-emblem-hood.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

New custom interior for my '08 XK-image.jpg
I used the XJS growler on all me badging. Also put one on the boot, where the first couple years they came from the factory with them. I also drilled no holes, I just ground off all the posts, and covered the back with black 3m badge tape and cut it perfectly. It holds great and actually was difficult to remove when I had it painted. Very secure.
I also used the new jaguar plastic badge a d popped the outer chrome ring off, ground off the tabs that held it and epoxied it on the XJS badge. I love the look.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

I'd put it in your grille. Looks great. Tis is the adamesh chrome back plate. New custom interior for my '08 XK-image.jpg