XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation

Greetings all,

As you can see in my signature I have a new ride. I have been reading up and trying to get acquainted with the things all of you have discovered so far. My thanks to anyone who has made a single post about these cars!

A few things I am not clear about:

1) What is currently the best way to make it so my Iphone's music can play through the stereo?

A) Jaguar Genuine Part Number C2P16491 | Kit-Audio Connec?

B) I have seen the dialogue about swapping out bluetooth modules for a newer model module (IE from a 2012 XK or XKR). Does that only help with newer phones voice connection and still not allow music to stream?

C) If I have an iphone 6 do I need both A and B to get music to play through the stereo from it? (I have a 5C right now and it pairs up for phone use currently).

2) What kinds of things have people found minimize battery drain. So far I have read:
A) Keep doors locked
B) Store keys far away
C) Disconnect (although I am not sure how) the auto headlight function
D) Faulty bluetooth module can cause it
E) Use a battery maintainer.

2F) Anything else?
2G) For those of you that use a battery maintainer do you keep the battery connected to the vehicle while using it? Seems like a huge pain to disconnect every time but a risk not to?

3) In 2010 the dealer serviced the AC condenser tube. I have not been digging too far into this issue yet. Was the fix permanent or is this something I need to check on occasionally?

Thanks for any input!!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Welcome and good luck with your xk. Trickle charger is a must, Ctek 5.0 or similar, you'll get used to plugging it in after a while.
Get your audio sorted and don't worry about anything else. To many people with what if questions. Just drive it, if any issues happen you can't stop them. I've got used to small gremlins with mine from time to time, past worrying long time ago. Enjoy driving such a special car, forget the negatives.

The following users liked this post:
Jacsun (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Welcome to the '07 club! I see you must be somewhere in my area.

Yes, you'll need the C2P16491, also known as the ACM (Audio Connnectivity Module). You can't get music streaming through the built in bluetooth phone interface. There are threads describing methods of using the ACM, either plugging in a thumb drive full of tunes, direct connecting the phone with an iPod/Lightening adapter, or using something like Tune-2-Air (think that's what its called) to give you a bluetooth connection to the ACM.
I installed an ACM last fall, but have yet to get around to getting it activated.

Yes, you keep the battery connected in the car when using a maintainer. Simple unplug the maintainer with a quick disconnect connector, and you're on your way.

If that's a convertible I see in your signature, your best upgrade is to get WhiteXKR's Remote Top controller, available through his website 'theJagWrangler.com'.

Enjoy the ride!

Jacsun (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the '07 club Jacsun. As for the headlights, just turn them from the Auto position to the Off position on the stalk switch.

Jacsun (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Default ACM Activation?

Yes, just a bit east, Willowbrook.

Thanks for the tips. Yep, I worked with Steve (JagWrangler) years ago on a radio wiring harness for the '01.

Activated? Does dealer need to do that? Have you figured out if any in the area will and what they charge? (I just called around for a smartkey and programming: no joy there..if you don't buy it at the dealer they wont program it! $495 for the whole deal...ouch.)

Were you (or anyone else) able to post a write up on the ACM installation? I assume this is a "take the console off" process? I haven't seen instructions for install. I got in there on my '01 to install the antenna switch, which is also something I want to figure out for this car. I hate having that thing up for no reason.

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Welcome to the '07 club! I see you must be somewhere in my area.

Yes, you'll need the C2P16491, also known as the ACM (Audio Connnectivity Module). You can't get music streaming through the built in bluetooth phone interface. There are threads describing methods of using the ACM, either plugging in a thumb drive full of tunes, direct connecting the phone with an iPod/Lightening adapter, or using something like Tune-2-Air (think that's what its called) to give you a bluetooth connection to the ACM.
I installed an ACM last fall, but have yet to get around to getting it activated.

Yes, you keep the battery connected in the car when using a maintainer. Simple unplug the maintainer with a quick disconnect connector, and you're on your way.

If that's a convertible I see in your signature, your best upgrade is to get WhiteXKR's Remote Top controller, available through his website 'theJagWrangler.com'.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jacsun
Yes, just a bit east, Willowbrook.

Thanks for the tips. Yep, I worked with Steve (JagWrangler) years ago on a radio wiring harness for the '01.

Activated? Does dealer need to do that? Have you figured out if any in the area will and what they charge? (I just called around for a smartkey and programming: no joy there..if you don't buy it at the dealer they wont program it! $495 for the whole deal...ouch.)

Were you (or anyone else) able to post a write up on the ACM installation? I assume this is a "take the console off" process? I haven't seen instructions for install. I got in there on my '01 to install the antenna switch, which is also something I want to figure out for this car. I hate having that thing up for no reason.
It's a dealer activated thing, which I haven't priced, but I seem to recall another user saying they charged an hour for it, and yet another user that activated it himself via his Mongoose setup. The downside of the second option is that you won't get any firmware updates that my be available (but definitely cheaper if you already have the means to do it).
The instructions that come with the ACM are fairly straight forward, and I think I found them somewhere on the web before I purchased one.
Basically, remove the glove box, pop the vertical trim off around the center stack, remove some screws, pull the vertical stack forward, unplug some connectors, plug those connectors into the ACM, plug the ACM connectors into the vertical stack, route cables to where you want your iPod/phone connector, route cables and install the USB/RCA block, mount the ACM to the back of the glove box, reinstall the vertical stack and trim, and reinstall the glove box.

Jacsun (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

Welcome Jacsun,

Friendly counterpoint about the battery maintainer. I personally do not use one and have never had a battery problem. My perspective is that if you use the car on a normal basis [at least once a week] then battery drainage should not be a problem, if it is - then get whatever is draining your battery fixed.

Many folks here will disagree with me, and that is fine, but Jaguar did not sell this car with a battery tender and I believe that it should not need one. I have let my car sit for three weeks and it fired up with no issues. The day mine needs a battery tender on a regular basis is the day I sell it. Just my two cents.

Jacsun (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Jacsun:

Welcome from another past Chicago West Burbs guy. Lived on Madison St. just south of Plainfield Rd. Went to Hinsdale South HS. Go Hornets!

Ref the battery maintainer. I have 4 vehicles and all of them get connected to a CTEK MUS 4.3 battery maintainer. Cost is under $68.00 at Amazon. I have written extensively on this forum about battery maintainers and particular the CTEK brand.

Your Jaguar is loaded with electronics and electronic sensors. The biggest issue that arises on these Jaguars are electrical issues and most of the time battery related. When I pull my XKR into the garage, the XKR gets connected to the CTEK immediately. It takes less than 15 seconds to connect.

On your model (2007) you can connect directly to the battery terminals, bypass opening the trunk, by using a CTEK branded maintainer and using the CTEK Comfort Extension for a quick release and connect.

I have attached a few photos of my connection. It is quite naive for any Jaguar owner as stated above that you don't need a battery maintainer, and that if they have a battery problem they will sell the car. That is a crazy statement.

Many Jaguar owners will agree it makes a lot of sense to protect your ride by keeping the battery well maintained and powerful. For those that don't, eventually they will get bitten by the an electrical gremlin, most likely related to the battery.

Here's a simple solution to making it easy to connect a CTEK MUS 4.3 to your Jaguar.

I suggest you review this thread I personally started. The thread has over 36,600 views and over 260 responses. While the thread originally mentioned the CTEK 3300, I now suggest and recommend the CTEK MUS 4.3 which is an 8 Step battery maintainer.

Here's the thread link for your review.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

Don't cut yourself short by trying to save $68.00. Buying the CTEK MUS 4.3 will be one of the best investments you can make for your Jaguar. Be sure to also buy the CTEK Comfort Extension for an additional 8' ft of cord.

Attached Thumbnails New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation-dscn0877.jpg   New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation-dscn0878.jpg   New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation-dscn0880.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 05-06-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Jacsun (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by richzak
It is quite naive for any Jaguar owner as stated above that you don't need a battery maintainer, and that if they have a battery problem they will sell the car. That is a crazy statement.

Hardly naïve, my experience is based on facts. My 2007 xk has 101,000 miles without ever using a battery maintainer and has no electrical issues. What this means is that not all xk's require a battery maintainer. I have a coworker who parks his xk in a common garage under the building with no electrical outlets available, he doesn't use a battery maintainer either. There are plenty of new Jags, BMW's and Audi's parked on the street where I live and they all start up and run with no issues. Are people with no electrical outlets nearby for a battery maintainer not supposed to buy Jaguars or high end cars?
I do not dispute what a battery maintainer does, rather I disagree that every xk needs one. The best battery maintainer for the xk is its own alternator, drive it once a week and all should be good. My xk is proof of this. O.P. whether you use a maintainer or not is your choice, I am just giving a friendly counterpoint.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 05-06-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:12 AM

Grew up in Riverside as a Bulldog...oh for those days back! I have a hockey player son graduating Central this year- big rivalry with South as I am sure you know. : )
helpful stuff.

I have to agree the cars "shouldn't need one" but this is really . However I looked at the "wrap sheet" for my car and it has been through some batteries with the solution of "drive more", and more importantly I do sometimes go quite a while without getting to go for a spin. I did already order the 3300. Will see how it goes.

I appreciate all the perspectives: its rare someone is just wrong- they often just have different experiences. I sold my '97 to a guy down the street years ago who still has it. He doesnt have the first clue as to what all the known issues are with the car- still has plastic tensioners etc. because he doesnt go to the forums and his car has been trouble free. We get to hear issues but dont always hear from the thousands with no issues...but I like being proactive so I come here a lot and if I hear about anything I like the opportunity to prevent problems!!

Jacsun:

Welcome from another past Chicago West Burbs guy. Lived on Madison St. just south of Plainfield Rd. Went to Hinsdale South HS. Go Hornets!

Ref the battery maintainer. I have 4 vehicles and all of them get connected to a CTEK MUS 4.3 battery maintainer. Cost is under $68.00 at Amazon. I have written extensively on this forum about battery maintainers and particular the CTEK brand.

Your Jaguar is loaded with electronics and electronic sensors. The biggest issue that arises on these Jaguars are electrical issues and most of the time battery related. When I pull my XKR into the garage, the XKR gets connected to the CTEK immediately. It takes less than 15 seconds to connect.

On your model (2007) you can connect directly to the battery terminals, bypass opening the trunk, by using a CTEK branded maintainer and using the CTEK Comfort Extension for a quick release and connect.

I have attached a few photos of my connection. It is quite naive for any Jaguar owner as stated above that you don't need a battery maintainer, and that if they have a battery problem they will sell the car. That is a crazy statement.

Many Jaguar owners will agree it makes a lot of sense to protect your ride by keeping the battery well maintained and powerful. For those that don't, eventually they will get bitten by the an electrical gremlin, most likely related to the battery.

Here's a simple solution to making it easy to connect a CTEK MUS 4.3 to your Jaguar.

I suggest you review this thread I personally started. The thread has over 36,600 views and over 260 responses. While the thread originally mentioned the CTEK 3300, I now suggest and recommend the CTEK MUS 4.3 which is an 8 Step battery maintainer.

Don't cut yourself short by trying to save $68.00. Buying the CTEK MUS 4.3 will be one of the best investments you can make for your Jaguar. Be sure to also buy the CTEK Comfort Extension for an additional 8' ft of cord.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member

Holy crap. here's what i was talking about, now there's a big debate on the battery, again, end this madness now

Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Holy crap. here's what i was talking about, now there's a big debate on the battery, again, end this madness now
But, but, but, ... and then there's all those other topics from other threads that he didn't ask about (oil type, service intervals, tires, etc.) that could swirl this thread out of control, right down the 'ol crapper.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 AM

But since I have been on the Forum for the last 4 years I knew enough not to ask about any of those...unless I am really bored! In this case I get to plead innocent, at least for a little while longer.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 AM

Through the magic of Amazon I was able to change my order, hassle-free, to the MUS 4.3. Thanks again!

Jacsun:

Old 05-06-2016, 10:09 AM

There is no debate here. It's just a couple of statements that some Jags seem to need the battery maintainer and others do not. Let's not make big thing out of nothing.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 05-06-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
There is no debate here. It's just a couple of statements that some Jags seem to need the battery maintainer and others do not. Let's not make big thing out of nothing.
Big thing about nothing, to many threads about the same thing, that's what the search button is for.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Big thing about nothing, to many threads about the same thing, that's what the search button is for.
As forum members acquire new XK/XKR models or older ones, they have the right to ask questions on topics that may have already been discussed. Owning a Jaguar is a learning experience. There can be lots of questions, and for the most part, many owners on this Jaguar Forum are always willing to come to the rescue with answers and experiences they have experienced or shared.

This is what the forum is all about.

If any topic bothers people, or might be repetitive then they should not participate, and simply leave the topic to the rest of the members to reply.

There is no reason or advantage to "knock" or "put down" any member that asks questions regarding is Jaguar vehicle.

This is a Jaguar Forum.

Jacsun (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

As forum members acquire new XK/XKR models or older ones, they have the right to ask questions on topics that may have already been discussed. Owning a Jaguar is a learning experience. There can be lots of questions, and for the most part, many owners on this Jaguar Forum are always willing to come to the rescue with answers and experiences they have experienced or shared.

This is what the forum is all about.

If any topic bothers people, or might be repetitive then they should not participate, and simply leave the topic to the rest of the members to reply.

There is no reason or advantage to "knock" or "put down" any member that asks questions regarding is Jaguar vehicle.

This is a Jaguar Forum.

No intention of"knocking" or "putting down" any member that asks questions regarding their Jaguar vehicle, that wasn't my intention, so i hope you accept my sincere apologies all round,especially jacsun, got plenty of help on this forum from members. Just i think sometimes there is too much negatives that might give the wrong impression on these cars. For me the xk is to be loved and driven and not to worry about "the what if's", anyway hope everyone who has their xk out this weekend has an enjoyable and safe weekend.
O yea my engine light came on today, but went off again after a while, o the joys of an xk owner.

Last edited by powerhouse; 05-06-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Jacsun (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 08:16 AM

Its all good Fella's.. I will say though that sometimes old questions have new answers: I just want to make sure I have the latest thinking from all of you brilliant folks who keep trying new stuff!

...and Powerhouse, I run a risk-management operation and before that was responsible for preventative maintenance for a very large industrial company: I am wired to think about the "What ifs" as part of my DNA...I find joy in it (which might be "twisted" I know ) and then preventing that which might occur. I am moving on...What if I changed that cabin filter out that just arrived from Amazon and then had a Guinness? I'll post back later...

No intention of"knocking" or "putting down" any member that asks questions regarding their Jaguar vehicle, that wasn't my intention, so i hope you accept my sincere apologies all round,especially jacsun, got plenty of help on this forum from members. Just i think sometimes there is too much negatives that might give the wrong impression on these cars. For me the xk is to be loved and driven and not to worry about "the what if's", anyway hope everyone who has their xk out this weekend has an enjoyable and safe weekend.
O yea my engine light came on today, but went off again after a while, o the joys of an xk owner.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jacsun
Its all good Fella's.. I will say though that sometimes old questions have new answers: I just want to make sure I have the latest thinking from all of you brilliant folks who keep trying new stuff!

...and Powerhouse, I run a risk-management operation and before that was responsible for preventative maintenance for a very large industrial company: I am wired to think about the "What ifs" as part of my DNA...I find joy in it (which might be "twisted" I know ) and then preventing that which might occur. I am moving on...What if I changed that cabin filter out that just arrived from Amazon and then had a Guinness? I'll post back later...
I agree time to move on, a nice cool Guinness i think is need, tastes better here in Ireland though, cheers to you

Attached Thumbnails New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation-guinnesstoast.jpe  

Quick Reply: New guy's 07 Questions- Music, battery drain, AC condensation