XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New to Jaguar. Picked up XKR-S. Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by StiggyMac
I had recently tested a F Type R and was mightily impressed, whereas the XKR-S didn't strike me the same way. I needed the extra trunk space
F-type is a sports car, so things like trunk space, cabin space, second row seats are all sacrificed. XKR-S is an upper trim of a GT car, while very capable it is not a sports car.

Look into 911, I think it would have enough trunk space for you while remaining a sports car. One of the few on the market that does.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
F-type is a sports car, so things like trunk space, cabin space, second row seats are all sacrificed. XKR-S is an upper trim of a GT car, while very capable it is not a sports car.

Look into 911, I think it would have enough trunk space for you while remaining a sports car. One of the few on the market that does.
I have looked at 911s and they are fantastic cars. On the top end (GT3 RS, Turbo S etc), they are absolute track weapons but have price tags associated with that. Those in the more affordable range while good, don't provide the theatrics that the F Type or the XKR-S do.
Trust me, I agonized over sports cars or GT. Although I must admit, I was looking at Aston Martins (DBS, V8 Vantage) and Maseratis (GranTurismo MC) for GT, as well as C8 Corvette, GTR etc and hadn't thought about any XK let along the XKR-S.

Like I said, it was an impulsive buy based on an immediate opportunity and timing (who would pass up a XKR-S if you could buy it). The more I drive it, the more I like it. Just like any relationship it takes time. We'll see what happens in the next week.
Anyway, I hope my stay with the Jag forums lasts a while.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:55 AM

Yes, cooling. If you go nuts tuning, you will start having heat soak issues.

Also standard weak points apply - water pump, timing chain.
Thanks for the pointers. Having my local dealer give it a once over tomorrow. I heard timing chain issues can be lethal, so I'd rather get ahead of that if at all possible.

The following users liked this post:
BlkC4t_XK14 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,811 Posts

@StiggyMac, pay close attention to engine temperature whilst driving. DO NOT rely on the instrument cluster to indicate coolant temperature. Connect to the vehicle PCM via the OBD port with a Bluetooth adapter and a smart phone having the Torque app. At any point if the 'Coolant Level Low' warning appears on the instrument cluster, stop the engine immediately and find the source of the coolant loss. The coolant outlet pipe under the supercharger and the rear heater pipe are plastic and can only withstand a finite number of cold to hot to cold cycles prior to failing.

Monitor engine oil level weekly at a minimum and be sure to use oil meeting JLR specification.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by No Quarter
You bought a pretty fast GT car. Apparently without much research, due to price. Enjoy it, instead of complaining about what it's not, or sell it. It's that easy...
Not complaining, just opinions and observations.
Yes, it's a pretty quick GT car. Did I have high expectations of it? Maybe. Has it met most of those expectations, yes.
Day two of ownership and I'm enjoying it.

The following 2 users liked this post by StiggyMac:
Barry Leftwich (10-02-2020), steve_k_xk (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
@StiggyMac, pay close attention to engine temperature whilst driving. DO NOT rely on the instrument cluster to indicate coolant temperature. Connect to the vehicle PCM via the OBD port with a Bluetooth adapter and a smart phone having the Torque app. At any point if the 'Coolant Level Low' warning appears on the instrument cluster, stop the engine immediately and find the source of the coolant loss. The coolant outlet pipe under the supercharger and the rear heater pipe are plastic and can only withstand a finite number of cold to hot to cold cycles prior to failing.

Monitor engine oil level weekly at a minimum and be sure to use oil meeting JLR specification.
Thanks for the tips. I was wondering why those gauges didn't exist anywhere on the dash. Yikes, plastic coolant pipe in the V? Is there an alloy replacement for that part? My Porsche Cayenne S had the same problem after 110k with that type of coolant pipe design. Replaced plastic with alloy and it's been great since.

steve_k_xk (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering why those gauges didn't exist anywhere on the dash. Yikes, plastic coolant pipe in the V? Is there an alloy replacement for that part? My Porsche Cayenne S had the same problem after 110k with that type of coolant pipe design. Replaced plastic with alloy and it's been great since.
When time permits, I intend to have replacement parts fabricated with aluminium to eliminate those two possible failure points on the AJ133 and AJ133SC.

Due to the age and mileage on the vehicle, I also suggest you have the gearbox serviced. The ZF 6HP26/28 should be serviced with a new pan/filter and fresh fluid every 5 years or 100,000 km/60,000 miles.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
When time permits, I intend to have replacement parts fabricated with aluminium to eliminate those two possible failure points on the AJ133 and AJ133SC.

Due to the age and mileage on the vehicle, I also suggest you have the gearbox serviced. The ZF 6HP26/28 should be serviced with a new pan/filter and fresh fluid every 5 years or 100,000 km/60,000 miles.
Do you suggest OEM fluids? Additives?
I've always used Redline water wetter in coolant to good results. Redline for gear lube has been good too over my experiences with OEM recommendations.
Anything else to know about the ZF unit? Clutches on the e-Diff? Half shafts?
I've wrenched on most of my cars and it's most of the problems tend to be owner induced. lol However I do learn what areas to look for once I get time on the cars.

Thanks again for your pointers.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:34 AM

I personally have only used the ZF Lifeguard fluid, however some on these forums use other fluids matching Ford specifications (Mercon V).

There is no need for any additives except some injector cleaner such as Techron periodically.

You can use the search function for this forum to find other threads discussing differentials and other areas.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JagRag
Not sure if the R-S needs it, but remove fuse 19 (between the rear seats) for a louder exhaust note right from start-up.
I'll keep that in mind, although my neighours will probably hate me.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

How about some pics?

gkubrak (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The car should pull like a beast. Did you bring it to the dealer?

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Barry Leftwich (10-02-2020), Cee Jay (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
How about some pics?
edited my first post and popped a couple pics in there.
Going to book her an appointment for paint correction and coating soon so prom pictures will have to wait.🤣

jahummer (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The car should pull like a beast. Did you bring it to the dealer?
She’s going into the local dealer tomorrow for her checkup. Hope she has a clean bill of health. That will set the baseline so I can maintain her going forward.

Barry Leftwich (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Stiggymac,
You should thank heaven that you didn't buy a GTR. I went for a ride in a friend's car a few weeks ago for the first time. We took about a 40 mile ride to pick up some parts for both of our Panteras from a vendor in Orange County. After we got there, I told him that except for the ride home, I would never ride in that car again. Outside of its prodigious performance parameters, it is the worst piece of junk I have ever had the displeasure of riding in. It is noisy (and not in a good engine or exhaust way), it is very rough riding, and when it shift gears, it feels like the entire transmission is falling out, it's so clunky. My 180,000 mile tuned and pulley XKR may be a bit slower, but you couldn't give me a GTR for free and make me drive it. Your XKR-S is comfortable, quick, and embodies the definition of a high performance GT automobile better than just about anything from any car maker including Aston Martin and Maserati. I'm sure with enough time behind the wheel you'll come to appreciate how much car you got for "next to nothing."

Old 10-02-2020, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I recall with my 2012 XKR it wasn't how much rubber you wanted to lay down but a matter of tire cost per traffic light. I was amazed at the acceleration.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Barry Leftwich (10-02-2020), Cee Jay (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I recall with my 2012 XKR it wasn't how much rubber you wanted to lay down but a matter of tire cost per traffic light. I was amazed at the acceleration.
Perhaps I’m not being as judicious with the loud pedal. Will try harder next time and lay some elevens. 👍🏼

Old 10-02-2020, 08:26 PM
Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts

The car has more than enough umph you won't be disappointed from the performance. The Aston Vantage V8 is not as fast as the XKR-S and the DB cost way more for not much more power, and the repair bills will soak you should something break. Go for a couple of long drives with your BFF, picnic basket, on a twisty road in the mountains on a nice fall day and you won't think about trading this in. As stated by others get the waterpump done and the timing chains, do at the same time and save some money. Also the plastic coolant pipe near the thermostat wears too. Good luck and happy motoring. :-)

Old 10-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

The performance was somewhat muted compared to the F Type R. Was looking for that throw the driver into the backseat feeling, however from a roll from 20-70mph in 2nd it was underwhelming in comparison. 542 bhp doesn't feel like enough.
My tuned E92 335i 6spd with about 420 rwhp felt immensely fast, but being smaller and lighter is a very big factor in that.
Now it is smoother than the F Type R and felt softer while still accurate and pointy.
Exhaust was louder in F Type R, but that was also a droptop. lol
You not going wrong with the XKR-S and it's the VERY top of the line of the XK model that doesn't lose value much as the others.If anything,this bad boy can probably beat an F-Type R and I believe that the 6 speed transmission in XKs are faster than the 8 speed trannys the F-Types have.You actually don't lucky you is to have 1 of these bad boys and everybody on this forum is severly jealous of you right now and idk if you can tell cause i'll admit i am lol.I'll tell you what,find somebody with an F-Type R and race it with you XKR-S and I bet you would beat it!cause i'm a soul believer that the 8 speed is not up to bar with the 6 speed.How I sort of know is every car i raced with my XKR have always beat anything with an 8 speed transmission and also able to take any car and beat it that have atleast 100 more horsepower than my XKR have.Knowing you can beat any car that have well over 100 more Horsepower is enough to know you need to keep this car more than you ever kept anything in your life.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

that doesn't make any sense if the mustang,challenger, and the camaro are sports cars and they bigger and have more room in the back seats than the XKs do,when an XK is as Sports car as it gets with its slick sporty design.Btw an F-Type is more of a hatch back 2 seater or it's a flat out roadster since it only have 2 seats and all the similarities that every roadster have.But matter of fact,it's more like the corvette style sports car category come to think of it.

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 10-03-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: New to Jaguar. Picked up XKR-S. Mistake?