XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New to Jaguar With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Jaguar With Questions

Hope you don't mind but I'm new to Jaguars and some questions. Sold my high HP (1000+) Corvette and looking at a 2008-2010 XKR. Looking at something that the wife and canboth drive, take on a trips and have some fun with as well. When I said I was thinking about a Jaguarsome friends said don’t do it, they are expensive to maintain, temperamental todrive, get lousy gas mileage and the insurance is high. So not been one easily discouraged I thoughtI’d come here and ask the folks who actually own and drive and XKR . So here are a few questions:

1. What hasyour experience with maintenance issues and costs there of?

2. I not sure what they meant by beingtemperamental to drive but how do they drive on open roads, in town and inheavy traffic?

3. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

4. So is insurance high on them? I’m retired and live in Arizona (Phoenixarea) and insurance costs are important to me. My Corvette (even with the mods) along with my Wife’s car ran just under$900 a year.

5. Things to watch for when shopping for an XKR?

6. Anything else you feel is important to knowwould be appreciated.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

I bought my 2008 (4.2) XKR a few months ago so I can only answer some of your questions. I haven't had to do much maintenance yet but my car has extended Jaguar warranty so what work has been done has been covered by that. Mileage is pretty poor by todays standards, I get around 26mpg on motorway cruising (around 70mph), high teens around town, 13 or so on a back-road blast.

Temperamental to drive - not unless something is wrong. Mine is very smooth all the time, very easy in town, the auto isn't like some BMW M5 or M6 boxes which make parking etc. difficult, it's very civilised indeed. The auto box takes a little getting used to when driving spiritedly but I find it rewarding once you get to know it. When you just need to get some place with the car it doesn't make it difficult at all.

Can't comment on insurance costs for the US but here in the UK I was shocked how little my insurance is. You mention looking for something your wife can drive, put it this way - my wife isn't a "car person" by any means but she loves driving the Jag.

Happy shopping

Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I haven't had any reliability issues - minor gremlins with the infotainment system occasionally, but nothing that stops me getting where I'm going. In general, the only weakness is the battery; when the battery gets low, odd symptoms occur (warnings about sensors, apparent faults that just appear & vanish); if a good battery conditioner doesn't solve it, a new battery often will.

As an around-town car, it's perfectly tractable, with a very smooth auto box. It will creep along in slow traffic, rumbling quietly to itself, and it's fine over poor surfaces - even mine, with the 30% stiffer R-S type suspension, is no bone shaker. It's far better than the GT-R which I was also considering. Put it on the highway, and it flies; I've been lucky enough to get mine on an autobahn and had it up to 184 on the GPS (most XKRs are limited to 155, though). The handling is really good for a heavy GT car - you point, it goes. The only area I find a bit tricky is the excess of power over grip. If you don't want a fight with the traction control, you can't use the gas pedal like an on-off switch.

Definitely go for a 5.0 car rather than a 4.2 if you have the dosh - substantially more power & torque. Sorry, can't say anything about US insurance.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Gooday. For 2007 to 2010 you are looking at either the 4.2 litre supercharged (pre mid 2010), or the 5 litre supercharged (mid 2010 on). The 4.2 supercharged had performance similar to the 5.0 NA that came out also in 2010, but IMO it sounded much better with the smaller bore, and it had supercharger whine which was cut out from the 5 litre supercharged model. So you get a big difference in cars between those years.

I had the 4.2NA in my XF, zero engine issues in 4 1/2 years. The engine had been around for a long time. I also had the 5.0 in my second XF (just in case you opt for the 2010 XK with that engine) and it is a lovely engine, much more powerful than the 4.2NA, but doesnt sound as good. The 5.0 Supercharged is in a different league, and takes a bit of getting used to. I've had mine for a month plus and I am just getting the hang of it now.

I cant imagine why anyone would say that any of these cars are temperamental to drive. They are much better than any of the germans with similar power. Gorgeous, easy to park, great direct steering, handle well, the gearbox is beautifully smooth. My missus drives the XKR better than me, because she isnt as inclined to give it the boot.

I;m not sure about in US terms, but for mileage I'd work on somewhere between 13 l/100km to 15 l/100km. I guess that this is something around 20mpg, maybe a little more. I got my 4.2 down to about 25mpg when I was doing a more balanced city/country run. Currently my XKR is at about 17mpg, but it is improviong all the time.

Cant comment on US insurance. There are some other threads with things to look out for in the 2009/10 models from memory.

Other things? Do it! I would bother too much with a reverse camera, by the way. When I started looking the absence of a rear camera would be a deal breaker. In the end I got one without one, but because the car is much more manoueverable (I stuffed up that spelling) and lower, the rear vision is pretty good anyway. I dont really miss the rear camera. Make sure there is plenty of tread on the rear tyres, they are quite expensive.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi there, check this out, hopefully answer some of your questions

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t=BUYING+GUIDE

Good luck

Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome to the forum.... You'll get some straight advice here, as we have many members that still own or have crossed over from the Vette side. (From your buddies comments, I would have to say you have not talked to a Vette owner that crossed over from our side.)
Wives-Tales persist when the name Jaguar is mentioned, and certainly looking back in history many were well deserved. Lucky for us (and you) the current generation XK/R chassis is so far away from those days that we all chuckle when we hear them being told. This model is darn reliable and a very well built car.

My first recommendation is to drive the cars... Understand you are not buying a competitor to the Corvette, so if you live on the edge, a mere 410-510HP may be somewhat disappointing.
The Jag is a GT car, with stunning beauty, comfortable ride, and plenty of practicality for enjoyable road trips. Your wife will certainly enjoy the car as much as you.

The only flaws I continue to repeat for new owners are in three areas. First is there are little to no mods for a Jag. You come from an open world to a closed one. What you buy is what you will live with, and despite that limitation, living with a Cat in your garage is one sweet way to go.
2nd is the onboard electronics (Entertainment, bluetooth and Nav) are sub par for a car of this caliber. We live with it because we have no choice, and we love the drive more than the electronics.
Last is the one known production flaw on early models (2007-2009) where the AC can leak on the passenger floorboards... Make sure the TSB on that has been done because it required pulling the dashboard potentially costing you a couple grand.

Nuff said for now... others are better suited to walk you through your decision.... Keep in mind very few come here after buying a Jag and regret the purchase... The Cat is just that nice....

BOL!
Vince

gjjaguar (11-22-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks for all the info it’s really appreciated. I don’t plan on doing any significant mods onmy next car. Modifying a car is fun andrewarding but also very expensive and I got carried away with the Corvette andwound up with something that was way far and above. Although it did get your heart pumping eachtime you started it. Not sure when I’llbuy something but I figured now is the time to start looking, ask somequestions, and narrow the field down. Soagain, thank for your response and keep it up.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I have owned many Jaguars (4 at present) - not a single one has been "temperamental" - they have all been very, very reliable (much more so than my BMW). My wife is in year 10 with her X-Type which has had exactly ONE repair: replacement of an oxygen sensor. Modern Jaguars are especially reliable (boring to people who like to fiddle with their cars because no fiddling is required or wanted) and the XK in particular is an absolute joy to own, to look at (gorgeous!) and especially to drive. While some owners have experienced the mentioned problems of the AC drains failing, many, many (including myself) have not.
There is one item though that needs to be recognised - and once it is recognised and dealt with, it is a non-issue: these cars have very heavy power requirements; the vast majority of complaints about these cars are related to battery issues and the odd symptoms a failing battery produces. The solution - so easy: buy a CTEK battery maintainer (Jaguar even brands this item and sells it at an inflated price). When the car is not in use, keep it plugged in. Result: ZERO concern about the battery. Other than that, this is a car to love in every way. It is a superb long-distance tourer and looks better than anything on the road. A tip: wood and leather do not like heat and sun. That is not a Jaguar thing - it is common sense, so keeping the XK out of the sun when possible, and regularly conditioning the leather - with a conditioner that does NOT have silicones in it - will keep it beautiful for decades.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
bocatrip (11-13-2013), gjjaguar (11-22-2013), yukhateeee (12-04-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Sov211.......Great advice, well said with all the important points covered!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Sov211 ..... really appreciate your comments the information was great. I live in Arizona so I know first hand that the sun can be a problem and car care steps must be take. I am somewhat of a fiddler and enjoy tinkering with my cars but I also know my limitations, I'm more a bolt off bolt on person. I will admit I still like Corvette's and when decision time comes it will be between the XKR and a Z06 or Grand Sport. My wife and I are both retired so when the time comes we'll drive both cars and then toss the coin and decide. Although I am leaning toward the XKR. Pleased keep you comments and information coming in. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

donpatty,

IMHO, comparing a C6 or C7 Corvette (Z06, GS) to the current X150 Jaguar XKR (normal, XKR-S or GT) is like comparing apples to oranges. They are totally different vehicles for different markets and buyers/prices. I'll simply leave it at that, since so much has already been written about them. The choice is up to you, depending on your preferences. But if a manual transmission is a must-have for you, forget the XKR - available only with a paddle-shift automatic.

I, too, am retired. My XKR is a gentleman's GT, unlike the Z06 that I also considered. I chose the XKR for its classic design, inside and out, and high-tech all-aluminum robotic construction with the highest quality materials and workmanship. I don't need the latest and fastest, and value quality and comfort over raw performance.

I didn't realize how much I would enjoy my XKR when I bought it 3 years ago, and am glad that I did. I doubt that I will ever sell it.

Just my opinion.

The annual insurance premium for my 2009 XKR is only $576, which includes a $500 collision deductible and $500,000 liability coverage. The premium is low because I live in Georgia and my wife and I are both retired, have 3 vehicles that are each driven less than 10,000 miles per year, and get a discount for also having my homeowner's policy with AARP The Hartford. Their total price was much less than the quotes I received from USAA and GEICO. I wondered why?

An underwriter from The Hartford told me that they can charge lower rates for their AARP-endorsed auto insurance product for over-55 drivers only because their loss experience costs with retired drivers in Georgia is much lower than with their products that include younger drivers. Younger drivers tend to drive faster and go farther distances; they have more high-dollar cost accidents involving serious collisions and deaths.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

richzak (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I, too, am retired. My XKR is a gentleman's GT, unlike the Z06 that I also considered. I chose the XKR for its classic design, inside and out, and high-tech all-aluminum robotic construction with the highest quality materials and workmanship. I don't need the latest and fastest, and value quality and comfort over raw performance.
I am in the same boat exactly, and own the same car. I totally agree with all of the above.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM

I know the Jag is a GT and comparing a XKR to a Z06 is hard if not impossible. It's going to be a hard decision to make. I've had 11 Corvette's and have enjoyed each. My heart is with the Corvette but practicality has to be with the XKR. The XKR is still a top choice for the very reasons that Stuart S pointed out and wife is leaning that way as well. I also have AARP Hartford insurance and out rates in Arizona are much higher but that's part of living where we do. So first things first is we have put out house on the market and plan on moving closer to family and friends. So if your looking for a house in a 55+ community let me know. Once the house is sold then it's car time. Like I said before it looks like it will the Jag.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The information already given about the Jaguar XK is accurate. Whether XK or XKR, the quality is the same, the fit and finish is the same, only the engine power is different and a somewhat stiffer set-up to suspension; the driving in normal circumstances also feels exactly the same. The "plain" - read sumptuous - XK gives more than enough power and speed to get you into trouble VERY quickly.
Last summer, on my way to a concours event in the US, I came on a line of 20 Corvettes on the I-5 also heading to a show. Well, what is a man in a fast Jaguar XK to do when confronted with a temptation like that? Right...I passed the entire line of Corvettes quickly and effortlessly, relishing the knowledge that the Jaguar XK was much more beautiful, more luxurious, better built, sounded better on acceleration etc. - if you own a Jaguar, you know all this. But the INSTANT I passed the last Corvette I was stopped by a police car waiting over a rise at the side of the highway. The very polite and pleasant officer acknowledged the difficulty of the temptation for a Jaguar driver, especially a foreign Jaguar driver; as he handed me the ticket he said: "Beautiful car! but turn on the speed limiter." I did.
When you carefully examine a Jaguar, any Jaguar, and see how carefully it is put together (did you know that one person picks the hides for each car and one person picks the wood to make sure it is consistent? - his name or initials are on the back of the wood panel) you appreciate the workmanship even more. Jaguars have about them an elegance, a beauty that just does not fade or become dated. The current XK design will be a classic shape in 20 years, and still beautiful. - and if the wood and leather are properly treated, they will still be beautiful too (I am speaking from experience).

Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Even with all the supercharged and turbocharged cars I've had I have not had a ticket since I was 17, just plain lucky I guess. I did not know that about the leather and wood being picked out by hand. Another check mark in the good column for the XKR. I going to start looking for some car shows in AZ for Jaguars. Don't know if I'll find any but there may be some that have a few. Again thanks for the info it really helps.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Don (and everyone else here!)

Since you mentioned looking for car shows, let me say hello. I'm the vice president of the Jaguar Club of Central Arizona. (Its the Phoenix-based branch of JCNA which is the official sanctioned club for Jaguar in the USA).

We have currently about 80 members and are an active club with tours, drives, concours events and dinners etc. This Sunday we are holding a slalom event that I'm looking forward to competing in. (just fitted a limited slip diff to my XKR so hoping to give it a good workout).

If you feel like getting up early, some of us (including me) will be attending with our cars at the "Cars and Coffee" event at the Penske North Scottsdale dealership (N. Scottsdale Rd. just south of the 101) tomorrow (Saturday Nov 16th) at 8am.

If you (or anyone here) is interested in more info or joining the club you can see and contact us through our meetup page here: http://www.meetup.com/jcca-us/

Neil.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:06 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

No regrets. I love the car. I cross shopped Porsche 911 turbo S, Maserati, and Nissan GT-R. My XKR puts a grin on my face every time I drive it.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Don,

Some thoughts...

1. What has your experience with maintenance issues and costs there of?

I've had three XK's: one of the last generation (XK, convertible), and two of the current, a 2010 XKR and a 2011 XKR. Both coupes. I found that pricing didn't go up much for a car that included the Jaguar Select Edition Warranty, which goes like 6/100k pretty much bumper to bumper with no deductible. Given the complexity of the car and the relatively small increase in cost, I like having the factory back the car for such a long period of time. Oh, obviously I'm buying used, usually less than a year old and with under 10k miles. My insurance rates are crazy despite not having a terrible record, but all I can tell you is the Jag, with a 'OEM parts only' clause, costs maybe 15% more than my generic leased 2013 Ford Fusion! Absurd, but true... So all good here IMO.

2. I not sure what they meant by being temperamental to drive but how do they drive on open roads, in town and in heavy traffic?

Recall that they made some pretty heavy changes from 2010 on. The current XKR's are pretty much the same as the 2010's were in terms of major components. They are the absolute opposite of temperamental. To put it another way, they are incredibly silent, docile, soft, and compliant when you want them to be, and insanely loud raucous, rigid, and tight when you decide to push it. Really an amazing duality and one of my favorite things about the car. Drove my 2010 from Houston to San Francisco, two days in 112 degree weather including some ugly traffic jams, and I was cool the proverbial cucumber with the climate control set to 65 and the a/c seats turned to max. The car never got hot or showed ANY signs of strain. The price you pay for this is in all-out performance. All those luxury/dynamic devices add weight (and cost), and make the car a supreme GT rather than the canyon carver it could be if it shed a few pounds of weight. I'll take the sound deadening, premium interior build quality and material, and give up a few tenths on my quarter mile run

3. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Surprisingly good, considering the 500+ HP engine and my heavy right foot. I drove down to L.A. recently, taking highway 1 the entire way down the coast. Drove like an absolute hoon in the most amazing hairpin cliff roads down by Big Sur, pushing the car as much as my skill allowed and with NO regard for fuel efficiency. Drove back up highway 5 @ high speed also, occasionally blasting up inclines when there was no risk of other cars or CHP and unleashing everything the car had. Did a total of 1,000 miles in basically two days of VERY swift driving and the car reported an average fuel economy of 20 MPG. Given that I took 1 down (9 1/2 hours, low speed limit, etc), dealt with traffic in LA, and pushed the car hard, I was pleased. Keep in mind I barely used the cruise control and was on the throttle at any safe occasion...

4. So is insurance high on them? I’m retired and live in Arizona (Phoenixarea) and insurance costs are important to me. My Corvette (even with the mods) along with my Wife’s car ran just under$900 a year.

Can't say there other than to note that I cross shopped insurance on the Jag and several other contenders and found the Jag equal to or cheaper than other cars costing as much. Considering the low production numbers, that it is made in England, and that the thing is Aluminum bodied and I was expecting to pay more.

5. Things to watch for when shopping for an XKR?

Like I said, with the Select Edition Warranty, stress goes way down. Do look for the few options that are available though: radar adaptive cruise control, fog lights, a few others... And I'd strongly suggest you get a post 2010 XKR. Going from that crazy 'Vette to anything less might leave you with regrets and the XKR is an absolute blast, while obviously only modest compared to a 1,000 HP fiberglass missile.

6. Anything else you feel is important to knowwould be appreciated.

Don't buy the "Jag's are junk" B.S. In fact, that stupid stereotype is a good reason to buy one, as the resale values drop one or two years in due to people being scared to buy a car that they fear will break down often. If you have a good local dealer, go for it! I've seen maybe four other XKR's since I bought my 2010, compared to the ubiquitous 911s, M3s, Teslas, MBZs, and on. The car stands out in a crowd, only needs one service a year (not expensive either), and every one I've owned has been Toyota pickup truck/F150 reliable.

For a fraction of the cost of alternatives, you get a reliable car that is perceived as an exotic, and is easily capable of daily driver usage. The only question is color and coupe or convertible!

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 11-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Neil…. with the events being this weekend ourschedule is kind of full but would like to attend something later. Ijust found your web site yesterday and will spend some time looking it over andjoin you happy group. Where is the slalom being held Sunday, I may beable to sneak away for an hour or so?

Skeeter….. as for mechanical and maintenance experience Iwould rate myself above average. My last car was twin turbochargedwith a bunch of other stuff that I kept in great running condition,but I knew my limitations and would seek help when needed. I've reachedthat point where I do not want to spend hours each week under thehood of a car, so I plan on no engine mods of any kind. So somedress-up mods, minor maintenance I'll do but nothing major. Push thestart button and go that's what I want. As for temperamental Ibelieve it goes back to the days when Jaguar was or at least perceived tohave problems. Plus it came from the Corvette folks who arejust a little one sided. I didn't expect the gas mileage to be highalthough 20 MPH isn't that bad. Insurance is bridgethat I'll cross when the time comes.

Everyone…. I can't express in words just how pleased I am for all theresponses, ideas and information I've received from you all. It is indeeda pleasure to be on this site and learn from those who know. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I concur with all the above - Jags are great cars and not expensive to run (fuel apart!). I've had a 2001 XK8, a 2004 XKR and now a 5.0 2010 XKR and none of them has given me any real problems. The XK8 did need a new coolant expansion tank as it developed a crack, and the 2004 XKR burst an oil pipe (but it had done 90,000 miles!) but apart from that, just routine servicing, petrol and tyres. The cost of parts is likely to be higher if you need them, but my Jags haven't been any more expensive to maintain than my Nissan Almera, and guess which is slightly more fun to drive?

Quick Reply: New to Jaguar With Questions