XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New (to me) 2007 XK has some niggles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012 | 05:30 PM
|
Default New (to me) 2007 XK has some niggles

Hi,

I've had my 2007 XK for less than a week now, it has some high miles (88,000) and I'm starting to notice one or two things.

Firstly and most importantly there is the engine. At between about 1200 and 1500 RPM it doesn’t seem to be so smooth. The RPM needle on the dash bounces a little and the accelerator pedal seems to be sluggish. If you are just blipping through that RPM range then you wouldn’t notice a thing. Where should I start looking?

Next I have a couple of electrical issues. The blower motor for the heating/AC has been removed by the previous owner, he is getting a new one for me and going to fit it when it arrives. I don’t know if this has anything to do with anything, but I thought I'd mention it to be complete.

The right rear brake light sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. I had driven the car for about 40 miles before I got a message on the dash telling me the light was out. Since then I've replaced the bulb, but the new bulb seems to sometimes work and sometimes not.

Finally there is the outside air temp sensor it seems to sometimes work and sometimes not. Sometimes my radio shows 0F sometimes it shows the correct temp. I thought this may be related to the rear brake light???

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Colin

Old 07-04-2012 | 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by TheAntiCol
Firstly and most importantly there is the engine. At between about 1200 and 1500 RPM it doesn’t seem to be so smooth. The RPM needle on the dash bounces a little and the accelerator pedal seems to be sluggish. If you are just blipping through that RPM range then you wouldn’t notice a thing. Where should I start looking?
My Jag is in for service on this as I type today. Although there isn't a TSB for the XKR on this particular issue, one has been issued for the 4.2 NA XK150. It has to do with the control unit for the transmission, and the TSB calls for reprogramming (basically) of the unit. You should be able to get your hands on the bulletin by contacting your Jag dealer. If that's your issue, they will obviously be the only people who can help. Oh, and in regard to the issue: it's not detrimental to the system. It's just annoying (again, the caveat being that this is only applicable if this is what your particular issue is—however, you are describing it exactly as it is written in the bulletin.)

Good luck with everything! These are truly fantastic automobiles. And, since Jaguar is the absolute most anthropomorphic auto brand on the planet (as judged by owners worldwide) a few quirks here-and-there lend to each of our Jaguars' personalities.

-e

Old 07-04-2012 | 02:02 PM
Banned

Anthropomorphic ? What the hell?

I don't know what it is but it sounds wonderful and wicked. Is it one of the perversions?

Last edited by user 2029223; 07-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2012 | 02:03 PM
|

OK I'll take it in to get that fixed.

How about the brake light and the ambient air temp sensor, could they be related? A grounding issue?

Old 07-04-2012 | 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheAntiCol
OK I'll take it in to get that fixed.

How about the brake light and the ambient air temp sensor, could they be related? A grounding issue?
I am not sure about the brake light, but the 0F ambient air temp is a TSB, as well. Your dealer should be able to find it in the system. There is a computer glitch that displays 0F when the air temp is around 59F. My '07 does that sometimes, as well.