XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New member with XKRS 2007- for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 11:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New member with XKRS 2007- for a friend

Have Friend with an XLRS 2007 4.2L supercharged v8.
low miles.
seeing a lot of maintenance issues with these.
looking for some general guidance with emissions, fuel, and performance.
I am more american muscle car guy but have renovated Lexus Mercedes Cadillac and VW.
New to the jaguars personally.
I just bought/ ordered the full vehicle service manual.
1. Emission - why are there a lot of posts about catalytic converters and why with only 40k miles is there a problem. I have not pulled codes but has the plugged exhaust symptoms and low power mode. Curious about low cost options
2. fuel - are these recommended with premium plus octane boost. Short of running some straight ethanol with an octane boost and Marvel Mystery oil to try and clear things up -worked on Cadillac CTS-V - someone ran cheap gas and no OIl change for a year - YUCK
3. Performance - why a 4.2 or 5.0 supercharged - seems under powered for such a heavy car.

last is the push start keyless entry - FOB and programming why so expensive. I put a SMART FOB in my 1986 Monte Carlo LS / LS swap with 5.3 v8 for about $200.00 thinking about maybe doing same with this Jaguar only concern is what would that clobber

trying to get my computer connected to read the codes soon - have only had the car 1 day and am already thinking of gutting it for American muscle transplant. Sorry to be negative or upset any die hard Jaguar folks.
it is a sexy car with a lot of style just why so complicated.

The Lexus SC400 I thought was bad enough.

to the point, I was asked to get the car running without any check codes and prepare it for sale or decide if I want it and pay just over wholesale for it. Leaning to fix option and sell to someone more inclined to have this 2007 XKR-S. Silver gray. Interior is perfect BTW.

Zippymac,

Old 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM

Thank You everyone...

Thi reminds of the Cadillac CST-V road hard and put away - well you get the idea.
I had to pull ALL the sensors VVTs, oil pan intake and plenums off and clean it all out - blow by and abuse.
then I had to run several injector and engine cleaners through it - used a engine breakdown solvent and chnage the oil 3 times in a week and finally started to clear up.
Had numerous miss fire codes, and cam warnings with knock and O2 sensors - yes replaced ALL those last...

Going to dig into the history a bit more as this owner is well fed up with it is an understatement. A dealer would only offer $6k for it LOL... they only pay wholesale at best anyway.

I willlocate the proper forum t pst events s they unfold ging to be interesting to see how to get this car happy again without braking the bank.
Owners budget has been spent on finding out all the things wrong with it sadly .
reminds me of the Cadillac again the auto shop said it needs a new engine - I said no give it back and it seems their mechanic had already settled in so I brought back all the mechanics belongings left in the back seat and trunk and dropped them in the middle of the reception area and let them know my dissatisfaction - guess he was accustomed to folks just giving up and getting deals...
Anyway... back to the scopes and the computer code readouts I am sure I will have a lot of questions being this is my first time with a Jaguar...

Many Thanks, sorry for the rants... kind of ;-)

Old 09-25-2021, 10:48 PM
Default Status on the Jaguar - hope this helps others

The Jaguar is coming along nicely felt like 3 steps forward 2 steps back for a moment.

The Jaguar has the A/C drainage issue - i got the service manual on CD and will enlarge the drain tube and put in some baffles like I did for Wife's 2013 Ford Edge same issue.

car has 46k miles and sat unused for over 9 months.
Owner does not drive and now realizes it needs more attention than can be given and is looking to sell the car.
I would but I already have a high performance car / project.

root cause upfront - poor maintenace and infrequent oil changes gummed up the VVTs and the position sensors throwing off false positive codes.

New oil very clean

Initial oil dark and gooey

Inside crank case (oil)pan removed for inspection and cleaning.

work done :
1. Engine flushes 2 - with 6 miles of driving between them only after oil changed. - NEVER drive or put engine under load with engine flush additives.
pics of dip stick before and afyer as well as engine after last engine flush.

symptoms before is rough idle and poor performance - codes 420 engine lean condition and 430 catalyst below thresholds
After engine flushes and oil changes smooth idle improved performance - doing gentle driving now to let things clear up more.
cost - $150.00 in materials
- fuel system cleaner
- fuel injector cleaner
- marvel mystery oil - i use this in diesel truck lawn mowers anything ICE crank case and fuel systems.
- engine flush
- K&N oil filter and intake filters ( stock) none of that cold air shop vac intake attached rubbish.

2. recondition the blower motor - repair the stuck brushes / lube the bushings / clean the stator and the rotor assemblies. Replaced the blower control and the fuse - A/C blower works great - $15.00 in materials - still have water dripping in passenger floor board - see above drill a drainage bung and enlarge the drainage to remediate that.
3. Right front rotor a little warped had that turned and machined smooth.
4. repair antenna - raised in a car wash seems common - no biggie $18.00 part and 10 minutes.

total make over less than $200.00. And about 8 hours not including trips to auto parts store or finding tools

drove it 120miles since PIDs cleared and only a revolving catalyst error comes and goes - its pending right now - NO MIL set so malfunction indicator aka check engine is off.
Suspect the error will clear itself.

The following users liked this post:
panthera999 (12-18-2022)
Old 09-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Default Quick video

Quick video of car cold start.
should be uploaded soon may have done it twice.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippymac
Quick video of car cold start.
should be uploaded soon may have done it twice.
You can post a LINK to a video but you cannot UPLOAD video to the forums.

Graham

Old 10-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Well the error finally presented itself on a road trip this weekend.
The Bank 2 sensor 2 twice during the trip dropped to 0 meaning the ECM is not reading any emissions data and ergo flags the catalyst as below threshold took 200 miles after reset to show up.

Replacing the O2 sensor this weekend and hope to finally say good bye to the PPID 430 Catalytic errors. I am using a cheap $40 dollar android tablet with ODB Fusion app and a bluethooth ODBII attachment - works well on a lot of different vehicles.

Old 10-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Default 2007 XKR Jaguar Super Charged - on the mend

getting the car ready to sell finally.
after getting only the Catalyst p0430 error seeming forever, I finally disconnected battery over night and took it for a drive right after connecting battery. in the cool morning
the issue is the car only has this pesky catalyst error until now.
- P0308 misfire - cylinder 8 misfire.
- Finally did what I should have done initially and changed the Spark plugs - but remember the dealership has an invoice for replacing those and checking ignition - (trust but verify)
- Checked the ignition coils and number 8 was on incorrectly and 3,5,7 were all loose - bolts finger loose
- The spark plugs have a foul odor and old oil and fuel varnish all over them.
So far there are no codes showing after replacing ALL Spark Plugs - then after a quick 13 mile run just the friendly engine with a green circle around it saying I am good. .
Taking for a test run later today to verify, but think the root cause is bad oil, incorrect ignition maintenance and sitting long time with bad gas.
The ECM needs 150 miles to reset or set any pending codes - fingers crossed she drives fine and no codes.
The P0430 catalyst is, as I have seen on many posts, an indication of ignition, oil, and bad gas coupled with possibly damaged Sensor 1 or 2 bank 1 or 2, and if left to go too long will damage the catalytic converters.
I also made a video of fixing the A/C drain I hope to be able to post a video of the repair some day soon.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:37 AM

Alrighty -
I have really had an opportunity to get to know this Jaguar inside and out.
  1. After Changing the plugs and verifying the ignition modules are all in place the P0430 took much longer to show up than before.
  2. Turned off engine - cleared codes - Hard steep acceleration up to 100MPH (at a local desolate /isolated road next to an airport).
  3. Engine code P0308 came up - cylinder 8 ignition module malfunction - I have a new module on order.
  4. turned of engine and redid the test to 100 MPH and the P0308 came up on the 3rd run not the second.
  5. Going to replace the cylinder 8 ignition module and test again
the challenge with the P0430 is that it is nearly 90% of the time NOT a catalyst problem unless the car is allowed to operate in a deficient manner for a long period like months.
So far the P0430 has not returned with 50 miles since the PIDs reset. I imagine if the Ignition module is not replaced it could return at some point.
No MIL light , just the P0308 sitting there.

All I know is this car after full tune up oil changes 3 engine flushes air cleaners elements replaced has a lot of power and is fun to drive cornering is not too bad could use some suspension updates to help with that.
I drove the Texas Hill country by some vineyards and just had fun with the car - Ice cold A/C and moderate wind noise from a plastic gap on the driver side mirror - going to remedy that with my 3D printer
46,700 miles on it and uses NO oil NO blow by in the EGR and crank case ventilation so top end is good and no oil leaks and solid performance bottom end is good.
Sitting a long time may have gotten some cylinder rings stuck but that is all in the past now...

Hope to be able to find a new owner for it that can appreciate it... of course this is no engine codes and everything working.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:46 AM

This a fully maintained all maintenance caught up and fun driving XKR Super Charged JAG

Old 11-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Default Mostly Revived the XKR

Been a minute since I last posted.
Sooo...
after engine flush
Loose spark plugs and ignition modules
Plugged up VVT Solenoids - replaced those
seeping valve cover gaskets - replaced
Bad O2 sensor 1 bank 1 and 2 replaced both
I am left with a sporadic misfire on cylinders 4,6,8 - I pulled the spark plugs and there was a small amount of oil on all of the 2,4,6,8
I cleaned them off, used a paper towel to clean out the spark plug hole reinstalled and it seemed fixed for a short time like a day.
The valve covers were pulled to replace the VVT solenoids and all new valve cover gaskets put on.
I did poor some Marvel mystery oil over the cams to be sure they were lubed before starting engine again may have gotten a small amunt in the spark plug holes..
That said everything seems fine smooth idle, runs and drives nice up to 70 - 80 MPH on hyway then out of no where is stumbles a bit, and the P0430 pops up and then doing a quick heavy acceleration all I get is misfire 4,6,8 then P0300 multiple misfires. Could it be the VVT Solenoid on the right side is bad or faulty? Everything was progressing very well.
The O2 sensors were reading 0 V and replaced, but the misfires have me a bit stumped. without a compression check or some other test not sure where to turn.
Initially its miss fires on ALL cylinders now its just 3 all on same side. could it also be a stuck lifter possibly? Manifold Vacuum is around 14 in/mg +/-2
Engine is smooth and quiet figure something stuck it would make noise. Propane check did not reveal any vacuum leaks.

The car is up for sale if anyone is interested. The owner does not want to keep it even if its fixed.

Any ideas...

Old 11-19-2021, 10:31 AM

going to answer my own questions - Fuel injectors - that is the only thing that makes sense with misfire and fuel odor coming from right side when valve covers removed.
I have videos of everything done and will post to a you tube account soonest. lot of video to go through.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:45 AM
GGG

My 2007 went back to Jaguar Engineering (JLR - not a dealer) when still under warranty. After repeatedly failing to diagnose the cause of the MIL triggering for the original owner, the dealer (GUY SALMON JAGUAR in MAIDSTONE) sent the car to Jaguar Engineering in Daventry for investigation. A smoke test revealed a small hole in the cylinder head. This resulted in a slight leak causing lean mixture and triggering the MIL. A Jaguar approved repair was carried out on the cylinder head and there was no repetition of the problem during the PO's or my ownership.

An unusual problem and a very unusual action by JLR but it shows you may have a possible cause beyond the 'regular' fixes suggested in the DTC listing.

Graham

Old 11-19-2021, 10:53 AM

@GGG Thank you - need to figure out when to go that route - thinking at least pull right side injectors and test - if after that there are stil issues then yeah probably something more mechanical.
Thanks for the insight there...

Old 12-13-2021, 09:04 AM

OK - so
1. Engine Flushes
2. Replaced ignition coils
3. ALL new Spark Plugs
3. replaced the VVT Solenoids - Fixed random misfires on right side 1,3,5,and 7 still on 2,4,6,8
4. pulled top end found a lot of oil in intake runners - pulled original PCV - gooey and stuck replaced that - manifold vacuum went from 16.7 mhg to 11.4 mHg
5. Cleaned all oil from intake runners , gently cleaned valve stems some had some build up on them
6. ultrasonic wash and reverse flush of injectors - put all injectors back after thorough testing
7. All back together - engine cold and warm purrs - does a good pull up to 4500 RPM then misfires on 2,4,6,8
The Super Charger sounds much better, the acceleration has improved greatly, but the misfires only come in at 4500 RPM
The indication is its timing - Going to pull the VVT solenoid and verify its not plugged up Also further inspect the VVT for any loose or non working parts.
Also found out from owner who performed the test driving its much better at idle and acceleration - also showed on the ODBII while driving. O2 sensors working and fuel trims much better.
As an aside I am not getting the P0430 as much now - getting the misfires first so its on the right track.
All in, the car injectors were part of the problem, the PCV a contributing factor, but The Timing I believe is what started this downward spiral.
I suspect the VVT might be damaged, but hoping its just a clogged oil passage because its somewhat intermittent.
Getting close to resolving the mechanical issues on the low mileage XKR.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:25 AM
GGG

I've copied your Intro thread to X150 forum cutting out the 'welcome' posts which don't add to the technical discussion. There's a lot of interesting and useful content which many owners of this model could miss seeing if they don't regularly scan the Intro threads.

Graham

Old 12-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

@Zippymac

2007 XKR-S???
Are you completely sure about that???

I think maybe something isn't right there...

Old 12-14-2022, 11:21 AM

Yeah its super charged. XKR or XKR-S see that in various marketing literature.

car drives great now after fixing the timing issues, that was fun.

need to sell it to make room for other things - will miss it but my joy is in the repair getting it working as it should.

My total experience with Jaguars is less than a year.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippymac
Yeah its super charged. XKR or XKR-S see that in various marketing literature....................
I'll give you the /R, but the -S started in model year 2012 in the US and 2011 elsewhere.
Still and all, a lot of work done with good results!

Old 12-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I'll give you the /R, but the -S started in model year 2012 in the US and 2011 elsewhere.
Still and all, a lot of work done with good results!
You're right about the 5.0L XKR-S, but the first XKR-S was a 2008 4.2L European market only limited production coupe. It came with 20" forged Vortex wheels, Alcon brakes, a 174 MPH top speed, and other goodies. .

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...s-2008-review/

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/04/...kr-s-unveiled/

The following users liked this post:
Zippymac (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 09:25 PM

Good to know - thank you.