XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New owner introduction...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

If you search the forum about 'drone', you will probably find references to an optional brace that goes between the cats and the transmission (IIRC), that a dealer can install to quiet droning reported in some cars. Perhaps that is the source of your problem.

The following users liked this post:
Munky (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
If you search the forum about 'drone', you will probably find references to an optional brace that goes between the cats and the transmission (IIRC), that a dealer can install to quiet droning reported in some cars. Perhaps that is the source of your problem.
Thanks for the tip
Just found this and it seems to be in line with what I'm experiencing.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-speeds-66682/

I wonder if there is a newer solution to the brackets?

Would a replacement exhaust system fix it? If this issue doesn't happen on the newer models I wonder how they are different (probably have the bracket already fitted!).

Is it a different exhaust bend pattern on the newer cars?

$450 for brackets seems a little steep, but then again they shouldn't be too hard to fit if Jag is only charging $200 to fit them!

Off to the net for parts again. I think my mailman will smile when he sees more Jaguar parts turning up...

Seems like these are the parts I need:
http://www.jaguarlasvegasparts.com/oe-jaguar/c2p13477
http://www.jaguarlasvegasparts.com/oe-jaguar/c2p13478

Another interesting thread about this issue:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ne-pics-87514/

Edit: Dang, it looks like I can only get the part directly from Jaguar. Sooo, my cat is set for it's first return visit to the big store...

Do Jaguar hold back other spares like this? I was hoping to do my own wrenching to try and keep the running $$$ down(!)

Last edited by Munky; 08-03-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

[QUOTE=Munky;1509229]Thanks for the tip
Just found this and it seems to be in line with what I'm experiencing.

[URL]https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2007-xk-deep-rumble-vibration-slow-speeds

$450 for brackets seems a little steep, but then again they shouldn't be too hard to fit if Jag is only charging $200 to fit them!

My 07 XK had this very annoying droning noise when I bought it - especially annoying because it was concentrated in the rpm range used in daily driving. I had my dealer install the Jaguar bracket fix and instantly: no droning, and it has never occurred again. So I can affirm that this is an effective and permanent solution, but not inexpensive. To me, however, the absence of the droning makes it worth every penny.

Munky (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 PM

Thanks Sov.

I spoke to the Jaguar service department today and they are going to get back to me with a fitted price.

Like you, a good part of my trip as I go to work is a 35mph stretch and at that time in the morning, it's really starting to annoy me, so it's going to be worthwhile.

For some reason, on the way home from work I don't really notice it...
Name:  image.png
Views: 219
Size:  97.7 KB

Old 08-11-2016, 07:04 PM

So the low droning nightmare continued.

I called my local jaguar dealer and explained the issue. They couldn't order the part unless they fitted them.

Okay, says I, how much to fit them?
Well that depends on what the problem is.
I know what the problem is, I would like you to fit these parts - that you won't just sell to me.
Okay, I'm not sure how much time it's going to take, but we charge $150 per hour and then $150 to diagnose the problem.
Wait, I said, I know what the problem is, I just want you to get some jaguar parts and fit them for me.
Oh, sorry but it has to be diagnosed first.
Sorry I don't think you understand, the car was built with a fault that is well publicized on the net, and I'm asking you to fix the fault, by adding parts that only you can sell to me.
No, that can't be the case, I'm sure I would have heard of this issue before - I'll pass you to the parts department.
Parts department - how can I help.
I need these two parts - (provide numbers) for you to fit for me.
You need to speak to service
I've just spoken to service and they put me through to you.
Okay sir, I'll see... These are special order.
Thanks, can you order them for me please.
Let me take your number and I'll get back to you.

Two days later I call them back.

Speak to the service people again - ask to be passed to the parts manager - great guy called Mike.

I ended up meeting Mike, explaining the issue and he managed to get me the parts two days later. For a cool $599 for the pair (dang!).

Thanks Mike - you really are a diamond in the rough (as is the parts desk receptionist lady).

I'll post up pictures of the parts and maybe even take a few measurements so no-one else has to go through this idiocy again.

Moral of the story - if you go to Landrover Jaguar of Minneapolis, speak to Mike. He is actually knowledgable and good with customer service.

Don't even get me started about the rudeness of one of the employees when I went in to pick the parts up...

Completely different experience to my local Subaru and Audi dealers, who can't do enough for you in the service department.

kj07xk (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 PM
kj07xk (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Nice going so can you please take pictures of the installation and final results. Thanks

Munky (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Munky
For a cool $599 for the pair (dang!).
Dang is right. If you search the web, you can find those parts for less than $200 each.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Munky (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:37 PM

I did try the net but seems like although they are advertised, the sellers I've come across return your money and tell you they can't actually get them.

As I understand from Mike (super parts person), he had to supply my vin and had to ask the sales center / parts rep. They had to get approval from Jag USA before the parts could be released.

I will make some paper templates of them before I fit them. That way I can photocopy them and send them to anyone who might want to fabricate their own.

Won't be happening this weekend, but I wish someone else had done this, so I could crack out the welder and makes some for myself!

Here's a picture I found of them fitted:
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  66.6 KB
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  58.7 KB

kj07xk (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, I just placed an order with:

www.jaguarlasvegasparts.com

So we'll see.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

I that fixed to any rubber isolators or just bolted to a point on the chassis. Do you get any vibration .

Old 08-11-2016, 09:49 PM

I'd be very interested if you can.
I've tried one on line supplier and read about three others that can't supply.

More than willing to send you some templates or even see how much it will cost to get a set made for you using mine as a pattern.

Let me know how you get on

I'm looking to fit mine next weekend (not this weekend coming as I have guests) but can fit them later if you want me to check out having them replicated.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I that fixed to any rubber isolators or just bolted to a point on the chassis. Do you get any vibration .
As far as I can tell, they are brackets that attach to the transmission in a couple of places and have a metal strap that attaches around the cats. No rubbers provided with mine (or bolts for that matter!)

Old 08-12-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I simply went to my Jaguar dealer with the part numbers, asked them to order them (no argument and no nonsense about a diagnosis fee) and had the dealer install them. No more droning, no vibration, no hassle.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell, they are brackets that attach to the transmission in a couple of places and have a metal strap that attaches around the cats. No rubbers provided with mine (or bolts for that matter!)
OK got ya so if is attached to the transmission then the rubber isolators are what the transmission is mounted to. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Interesting, I just placed an order with:

Genuine Jaguar OEM Factory Parts sold at Wholesale Prices | Jaguar of Las Vegas

So we'll see.
Well damn!

"Your order has been cancelled. The brackets you ordered are a restricted part and requires a case # from Jaguar technical service . The part is only available to a Jaguar dealer for installation"

So, in your case, they probably wanted to do a diagnosis to generate a case #.
My thoughts to the above response is: "if I were a Jaguar dealer, why would I be ordering from you, another jaguar dealer?". Sounds like a racket to me.

Fortunately I have not experienced (or maybe I just don't recognize) any droning, so its not a necessary install, but just thought I'd do it as a preventative measure. Pretty expensive pieces of bent and welded metal. I guess I'll be interested in those templates, if you do that.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:41 PM

So a new question...
I heard a rattle in the car and when I searched for its source, found this floating around loose.
Name:  image_12.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  121.0 KB
No idea what it is, or even if it's part of my interior trim or not!
It has FoMoCo on it (which I guess is Ford Motor Company) and this code-that I need to search the web for...
6W93 17D737 AB
Anyone know where it's from please?

EDIT: Looks like its one half of the rear view mirror...
The plot thickens!

Last edited by Munky; 08-17-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

So a new question...
I heard a rattle in the car and when I searched for its source, found this floating around loose.

No idea what it is, or even if it's part of my interior trim or not!
It has FoMoCo on it (which I guess is Ford Motor Company) and this code-that I need to search the web for...
6W93 17D737 AB
Anyone know where it's from please?

EDIT: Looks like its one half of the rear view mirror...
The plot thickens!
correct - it's one half of the lens mount

Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
correct - it's one half of the lens mount
Yep, and when you search the web, you'll find some eBay listings (in foreign lands) that have pictures of the complete unit.

Back on the bracket topic, I tried another supplier, and I didn't hear from them for several days, so thought I might get lucky, but no dice, got the following response:

Unfortunately it appears part numbers C2P13478 and C2P13477 have been discontinued and are on our website by mistake. We are working to remove these promptly and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused!

Order 3315 will be canceled and the total order amount of $439.74 will be refunded to the original form of payment.

Sincerely,
Customer Support Team.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:29 PM

Sorry, I've not had a lot of time to make templates, but I've had a bit of time during my drive to work.

What I will do is make some templates in paper, flatten them out and then scan them into a picture (along with a scale). Then anyone who wants to get them made, can save the image, print it out, scale it on a photocopier and have them made!

Work is a nightmare this week (and continues tomorrow) then this weekend I'm traveling, but I will try and get this done to share before the end of the month. Honest I'll give it an English Munky try!

I do love this car though. I should have bought one years ago!

Quick Reply: New owner introduction...