XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
View Poll Results: Should I buy these wheels?
ABSOLUTELY! The greatest wheels of all time!
23.53%
Meh, they okay. What else ya got?
29.41%
What, are you an idiot???
35.29%
I'll help! message me your Venmo and I'll send some $$$!
11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

New wheels, Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 10:17 PM
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by McJag222
What is nice is the inner part of the rims are really clean, I have trouble keeping mine clean - maybe clean up and some ceramic product applied.
The place I got them from said they ceramic coated them before I got there for installation. I did see a top shelf bottle of spray "ceramic" detailer and a bunch of microfiber towels. Better than nothing I guess, AND free.🤷

The following 2 users liked this post by Wm. Lyon:
McJag222 (12-05-2023), steve_k_xk (12-05-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by McJag222
What is nice is the inner part of the rims are really clean, I have trouble keeping mine clean - maybe clean up and some ceramic product applied.
Originally Posted by Wm. Lyon
The place I got them from said they ceramic coated them before I got there for installation. I did see a top shelf bottle of spray "ceramic" detailer and a bunch of microfiber towels. Better than nothing I guess, AND free.🤷
In the past I have painted the inside barrel part gloss black. That makes them easier to clean and harder to see the brake dust. It depends on the wheel though, most so far have had a deeper offset and it was more difficult to see the inside parts.

The following users liked this post:
Wm. Lyon (12-06-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 721 Likes on 357 Posts

Just got home from having new wheels that look exactly like these installed!👍I love 'em!😁

Last picture with the old (less than 1 year) wheels.
except yours have 4~5 machine groves in the barrel.

also, discount tire installed a rubber stemmed tps when I had a wheel replaced. I asked them to change it out for metal stemmed, they (DT) said there is no problem with them at high speeds and they didn't have any metal stemmed in stock. I called the manufacturer and he told me the rubber stemmed units are rated for 129mph (but hadn't had problems) their metal stemmed ones were rated 'higher'.
Looking closely, how much weight was added for balancing?
wj

Last edited by wymjym; 12-07-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

cee jay you current have Nevis rims yes ??? I personally think these are some of the best looking oem wheels in the jaguar family along with senta wheels in pre-face lift , if looking for bling why dont you put the money towards larger brakes ....just food for thought

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 12-07-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
cee jay you current have Nevis rims yes ??? I personally think these are some of the best looking oem wheels in the jaguar family along with senta wheels in pre-face lift , if looking for bling why dont you put the money towards larger brakes ....just food for thought
These brakes are the best I've ever owned, and at 380mm, the only way to go is 400mm for an exorbitant cost. I have already considered getting some fancy calipers that fit, but wouldn't some nice powder coating do nearly the same thing for almost zero dollars?
And larger fancy brakes behind Nevis wheels are mostly blocked from view anyway. Them's some beefy wheels.
Yes, I do like the Nevis wheels, but I also want to fill out the wheel wells without using spacers on the front. That messes up the scrub radius and such. Plus larger tires are always cool. Rear Nevis on the front fit great, but I haven't found any under $500 EACH plus shipping and probably refinishing costs. That means the rears would be the same small ones as the front (rears) and still require spacers.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by wymjym
except yours have 4~5 machine groves in the barrel.

also, discount tire installed a rubber stemmed tps when I had a wheel replaced. I asked them to change it out for metal stemmed, they (DT) said there is no problem with them at high speeds and they didn't have any metal stemmed in stock. I called the manufacturer and he told me the rubber stemmed units are rated for 129mph (but hadn't had problems) their metal stemmed ones were rated 'higher'.
Looking closely, how much weight was added for balancing?
wj
As you can see, they put rubber stem on mine also. That's OK, cheap stems, cheap tires, cheap wheels = cheap old man! Except when it comes to preventive maintenance, my mechanic love$ to $ee me pull up!🤣 I don't track the car, rarely close to 129mph but, do like some spirited driving through canyons, and it all works for that.😁
Yes! There are a lot of balancing weights!🤦

Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

As you can see, they put rubber stem on mine also. That's OK, cheap stems, cheap tires, cheap wheels = cheap old man! Except when it comes to preventive maintenance, my mechanic love$ to $ee me pull up!🤣 I don't track the car, rarely close to 129mph but, do like some spirited driving through canyons, and it all works for that.😁
Yes! There are a lot of balancing weights!🤦
Your tire installer probably ignored the painted dots on the tires and put them on wrong.

The yellow dots identify where a tire weighs the least — the lightest point on a tire. The yellow dot should be lined up and directly next to the valve stem, which is the wheel's heaviest point. The red dots identify where the tire is flattest — the lowest point on a tire.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Your tire installer probably ignored the painted dots on the tires and put them on wrong.

The yellow dots identify where a tire weighs the least — the lightest point on a tire. The yellow dot should be lined up and directly next to the valve stem, which is the wheel's heaviest point. The red dots identify where the tire is flattest — the lowest point on a tire.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind!👊 I wish I'd stayed and watched but, I had my dog so I took him for a walk. When I got back the car was done and out of the bay. Next time I'll stay and micro manage!😁 Been trying to figure out largest tire sizes without rubbing anyway. Looking to fill the wheel wells, height wise better. Just don't want the sidewalls larger on the fronts. Equal front & rear is OK but a little taller in the rear is even better.🤏 Any ideas my good man?

Old 12-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
These brakes are the best I've ever owned, and at 380mm, the only way to go is 400mm for an exorbitant cost. I have already considered getting some fancy calipers that fit, but wouldn't some nice powder coating do nearly the same thing for almost zero dollars?
And larger fancy brakes behind Nevis wheels are mostly blocked from view anyway. Them's some beefy wheels.
Yes, I do like the Nevis wheels, but I also want to fill out the wheel wells without using spacers on the front. That messes up the scrub radius and such. Plus larger tires are always cool. Rear Nevis on the front fit great, but I haven't found any under $500 EACH plus shipping and probably refinishing costs. That means the rears would be the same small ones as the front (rears) and still require spacers.
Hang on you have 380mm rotors as well omg ! i didnt realise this being xkr and not the xkrs I thought you only had the 360mm ....did you retrofit or was this an option you could select from factory

Cee Jay (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

How the snowflake wheels found on f-type svr and xhrs gt ...these would have to be at least 10.5" wide on the rear and could show case your calipers/rotors off

Old 12-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Hang on you have 380mm rotors as well omg ! i didnt realise this being xkr and not the xkrs I thought you only had the 360mm ....did you retrofit or was this an option you could select from factory
All XKR (and XFR and XJR) from 2010 (and maybe 2009) came from the factory with 380 mm front and 376 mm rear brakes.
The only option was the carbon ceramic brakes which I suspect were only available on the XKR-S but they are/were an option on all F-Types.

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-07-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

How the snowflake wheels found on f-type svr and xhrs gt ...these would have to be at least 10.5" wide on the rear and could show case your calipers/rotors off
On the F-Type at least those wheels are called "Storm" and probably the same name for the XKR-S wheels.
It's not the model of Jag that matters it's the carbon ceramic brakes, very few OEM wheels fit over them.
Again for the F-Type and I guess the XK as well the only two which fit are Storm and Maelstrom.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Ahhh thanks I had them saved as snowflake lol ...storm does sound a lot more masculine lol

Cee Jay (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

found !

Old 12-07-2023, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

$4857 after 30% discount, if that's for all four wheels then a relative bargain but if it's only for two (let alone one!) then not so much.
And that's feeble Oz dollars so closer to $3,000 US.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 688 Posts

The Bent, or Angled ones for sure.

Jack

Cee Jay (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
$4857 after 30% discount, if that's for all four wheels then a relative bargain but if it's only for two (let alone one!) then not so much.
And that's feeble Oz dollars so closer to $3,000 US.
thats for 4 pheww

Old 12-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

........................... Been trying to figure out largest tire sizes without rubbing anyway. Looking to fill the wheel wells, height wise better. Just don't want the sidewalls larger on the fronts. Equal front & rear is OK but a little taller in the rear is even better.🤏 Any ideas my good man?
Yeah, they are on Post #1 in this thread.
If you want to fill the wheel well in the front a tad, make the sidewall ratio 35 instead of 30.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thoughts on these CeeJay or do they look to plain too oem ???

Old 12-10-2023, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thoughts on these CeeJay or do they look to plain too oem ???
My instant thought was "Too Shiny!". Since big wheels, to me there is just too much of the polished metal going on. I usually paint the inside barrel of my wheels gloss black, and doing so on those ones would probably help a bit. Or, maybe it's the angle and lighting that make it Too Much.
One reason I like those bent ones is because they will show the brake stuff off and not hide or detract from that. The Bummer pic I put on the first page has the black inside barrel and that looks real good with those wheels.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 12-10-2023 at 06:27 PM.
89 Jacobra (12-10-2023)

Quick Reply: New wheels, Yay or Nay?