XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New XK "Touring"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New XK "Touring"

Jaguar has introduced a new, lower-priced base model of the 2013 XK called the XK Touring. The Touring model coupe Starts at $79,000 plus destination versus the plain XK’s $84,500 plus destination (there’s a convertible model, too, for those who are into such things). Announcement linked here

2013 Jaguar XK Touring -- elegance gets more affordable - Kelley Blue Book

and here

Jaguar

Link to the Jaguar website’s model builder here (1st option on left).

Build Your Own Jaguar | Jaguar USA

From what I can tell, here are the changes:

1. Substitutes a large rear spoiler, instead of a small rear spoiler
2. Adds a front splitter beneath the nose
3. Substitutes "bonded" grain leather, in a simpler style and without contrast stitching, instead of "soft" grain leather with contrast stitching
4. Substitutes a cloth headliner instead of the “suede-like” headliner
5. Eliminates cooling/ventilation from seats
6. Eliminates the heated feature from the steering wheel
7. Substitutes "Jaguar" (a.k.a. Meridian?) sound system, instead of Bowers & Wilkins sound system (still, remains 525 watts like old system)
8. Substitutes a 1 disk in-dash CD changer, instead of the 6 disk in-dash CD changer
9. Substitutes 19 in. wheels for 20 in. wheels
10. No available options (e.g. no HD radio, adaptive cruise control, intelligent front headlights, etc.)
11. You select only exterior color, interior color, and interior trim from more limited ranges of each (e.g. trim= knurled aluminum, burl walnut, satin rosewood)

I wonder:
A. What effect this will have on prior-years’ model resale prices
B. Will this expand the buyer base
C. What effect this will have on the model range’s image
D. Implications for the “XK replacement" - - i.e. its timing, features, and price

Last edited by OC_Gunman; 08-27-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

They seem like rather insignificant changes really. $5500 isn't a big difference since optional 20" wheels were around $3000 in the past IIRC, and dealers around here automatically ordered them on their cars, indicating price wasn't a big factor anyways. However for those that ordered a base XK because of price, the even lower priced touring model would be attractive, and within reach of a few more buyers.

I can't see the image being affected at all as almost noone on the planet will notice or be aware of the difference, andeven if they do they will recognize the insignificance of the decontenting. Can't see it affecting used pricing much, or at all, either. If they had dropped the price of the standard XK then yes, that would affect resale values.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's kind of weird for Jaguar to offer this car. I would think that most of the buyers of a new Jaguar XK are people who demand the best of and for themselves. $5,500 would mean nothing to these people. However, compromising on what they really want would mean a lot.

I can't figure out who Jaguar thinks they will draw in with this offering, who would otherwise be shut out with the regular XK. Perhaps a younger buyer? (which might explain the front splitter and rear spoiler, and the loss of a bunch of luxury features.)

Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Using up the parts bin for one last hoorah before the next model?