XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New XKR owner - my thoughts and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:48 PM
asb
Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New XKR owner - my thoughts and advice needed

I just picked up a 2011 XKR convertible a few days ago, and it's finally nice to be part of the Jag club. I bought the car in another state and drove it 1200 miles back home. This car is a fantastic grand tourer and a blast to drive. I was surprised at how willing this car is to get to 100+ mph and how much it wants to keep pulling beyond that. I only encountered two minor issues during the trip.
  1. The first time I filled up gas, I noticed the label next to the cap said to tighten to 3 clicks. I accidentally did 4 and thought nothing of it, but then the check engine light came on. I'd read about this happening to other people and the car continued to drive spectacularly, so I continued on my way without giving it another thought. The check engine light did eventually go away. I didn't realize the car was this sensitive, but it's a very minor thing in the grand scheme of things.
  2. A few hours into my drive on the final day, the low tire pressure warning came on. I pulled over at the next convenient spot and checked the tires. They seemed perfectly fine to me. The warning kept going on and off until it eventually went away for good during the final hour of my drive. I don't know if this is the result of faulty electronics or something else. Either way, I'm going to continue monitoring the problem to see if it comes back.
All in all, it's a great car to drive, and the 1200 miles went by very quickly. I was even able to put the top down at certain parts. The sound of that V8 is absolutely intoxicating. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Now that I've gotten my opinions out of the way, I was looking for some advice. I'm planning on getting the fluids changed, including the oil, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. Is there anything else I should look at or any other fluids I should change? I know the water pump is a weak spot of these cars, and unfortunately, I don't have any records to indicate whether the water pump was ever changed. Are there any signs to look out for besides loss of coolant? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,509 Likes on 3,240 Posts

Power Steering Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid. Those two are actually kind of important.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,498 Posts

Don't worry about the CEL unless it comes on again.

Your XKR is 9 years old and odds are that the batteries in your TPMS valve stems are dying (or your car battery isn't fully charged). TPMS battery life varies, from 6 - 8 years or more. Your local tire shop can scan them to check the battery life. If only one is bad you should replace all four. No programming is required. Read this thread from the beginning: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ensors-107293/

Let your nose be your early warning detection system for your water pump. Always walk to the front of your car after you park it and see if you smell the tell-tale aroma of antifreeze. That's how I discovered my XJs bad water pump.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-03-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by asb
The first time I filled up gas, I noticed the label next to the cap said to tighten to 3 clicks. I accidentally did 4 and thought nothing of it, but then the check engine light came on. I'd read about this happening to other people and the car continued to drive spectacularly, so I continued on my way without giving it another thought. The check engine light did eventually go away. I didn't realize the car was this sensitive, but it's a very minor thing in the grand scheme of things.
I think that is just a rachet on the fuel cap. I don't pay attention as to how many times mine clicks but I have just had a play with the one on my '10 XKR and it just keeps clicking and clicking if you turn it.

There should be a code set if the CEL has come on so I would check to see what it was.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by asb
I just picked up a 2011 XKR convertible a few days ago, and it's finally nice to be part of the Jag club. I bought the car in another state and drove it 1200 miles back home. This car is a fantastic grand tourer and a blast to drive. I was surprised at how willing this car is to get to 100+ mph and how much it wants to keep pulling beyond that. I only encountered two minor issues during the trip .....
Welcome to the forums asb,

The vehicle is unlikely to have been regularly used for 1200 mile trips at 100+ mph although that is precisely what they were designed to do. Everything up to temperature and fluids circulating freely - not surprising if the odd sensor reported an out-of-range value and tripped the MIL. An SDD diagnostics session would reveal pending and stored codes but I wouldn't worry too much as the vehicle ran well.

The fuel cap cannot be overtightened. The 3 clicks is a precaution to ensure it isn't loose.

With the TPMS, again SDD diagnostics would reveal what happened - the mileage the warning triggered and probably useful supporting detail.

As recommended above, a fluid change is the most important thing. Regardless of what the history shows on a used Jaguar, I always do a complete fluid change to give a reference point for future servicing and to catch up on anything that may have been overlooked.

Enjoy your XKR and enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 02-04-2020, 08:59 AM
asb

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will definitely get all of the fluids changed and get a diagnostic done.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Don't forget radiator fluid too and make sure everything is OEM or OEM approved.

Batteries a finicky on these cars. If you get weird errors and such, consider replacing the battery.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Make sure you know about timing chain and water pump issues and have someone qualified check them for you.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 281 Posts

Welcome stick around you will learn lots

Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,170 Likes on 817 Posts

Welcome to the group.
so much good information, advice and spirited rumor and innuendo here;-)

I missed the number of miles on your car. I have changed all filters(including power steering reservoir) and the supercharger oil. And I see the Cee Jay mentioned the diff!!

cheers!

Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM
asb

Originally Posted by guy
I missed the number of miles on your car. I have changed all filters(including power steering reservoir) and the supercharger oil. And I see the Cee Jay mentioned the diff!!

cheers!
The car has a little under 39k miles. Ah, yes, the supercharger oil. I forgot that was a thing. Thanks for the reminder.

It seems like it's a fairly straightforward job to change the engine oil and brake fluid, and I should be able to do that at home. However, the transmission fluid seems a bit more involved, and I'll probably have to take the car in to the dealer to get that done. Overall, how easy would you all say this car is to work on? Are a lot of special tools required?