XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

NEWB in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 02:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default NEWB in Florida

Bought my first Jaguar a couple weeks ago. 2015 JK convertible in Italian Racing Red. 29K miles. It's clean and beautiful. LOVE IT. Can't stop thinking about it. No complaints. A ton of the questions I had, have already been answered by reading this Forum. I think I've gone through every page. Couple remaining questions.
  • Anyone in Brevard County, FL? I haven't seen many on the road. (One of the things I like about the XK.) BTW...we have boring roads here. Flat with no curves.
  • CTEK connector and model? I have a wired connector in the trunk ready to get plugged in. If I buy a new CTEK, what model should I buy and are the connectors the same within models.
  • Water spot removal? I left her outside one night and the sprinklers got her good. A simple soapy wash didn't help much. Any magical product out there?
Thanks for all the advice I've read about. Hopefully one day, I can provide some knowledge from my own experiences.

The following users liked this post:
JonWat (03-22-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

A beautiful XK in a stunning colour; congratulations. You will LOVE this car, but it is only your FIRST Jaguar. You will have more.

With regard to the CTEK unit, all of them, regardless of model, use the same connectors, and all CTEK units do the same job. In the end they test, desulphate, and slowly (the operative word) charge battery, but will never over-charge it.

Be aware that for ANY electrical malfunction or appeance of warning lights, the culprit is likely to be the battery not putting out sufficient voltage, sometimes because the battery is just nearing the end if its life. The CTEK unit can disguise this for a while, but ultimately the battery will have to be replaced if it gets to 5 or 6 years of age (sometimes they last much longer, but….).

It really does not matter which CTEK you buy (I use both the least expensive and the most expensive. They both maintain the batteries at full charge). The one caveat is that if your battery is an AGM battery, you should buy a CTEK that has an AGM charging program on it. If you do replace your battery, make sure that it is fully charged before installation. New batteries are almost never fully charged - do not rely on the sales clerk’s statement that the battery os GOOD or fully charged. The CTEK unit will tell you when the battery is putting out full voltage.

Water spot removal: The safest, most benign way of removing them is to use a carnauba wax with very mild abrasives (Mother’s Carnauba Cleaner Wax is one of those). If this fails to remove the spots, then a mild polish (wax and polish are not the same thing) which must a always be followed by wax since the polish will remove any existing wax on the finish.

Also, the wood in your car (and it is real wood veneer) requires occasional waxing. Use the same carnauba as on the paint.

Your car has a full leather interior and this means that everything, including the dash top, is covered in leather. Leather needs regular conditioning to remain clean and supple without shrinkage and cracking, and this is especially important in hot climates. A good and safe conditioner such as Autoglym Leather Balm or Lexol will not have silicones in the formulation. Do NOT use a conditioner with silicones in it!

These are very reliable cars.

Last edited by sov211; 03-22-2023 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Congratulations and welcome aboard to both the Forum and the Jaguar world. Good lucking ride. In addition to keeping the leather up, you may want to purchase a windshield cover to protect the dash if you ever park your vert outside in the hot sun for more than an hour or two at a time. That will help you avoid leather shrinkage. In addition I and many others believe that the single best accessory you can get for your vert is the one touch convertible top control. Steve Klonsky a Forum member is the inventor/purveyor. He goes by the handle whitexkr. he has a website; the url is thejagwrangler.com.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:37 AM
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Great choice of car & colour combo, enjoy

Old 03-22-2023, 07:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

great color for a great car.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

@sov211 Thank you for all the advice. Amazon packages are already in route with wax, balm, and CTEK. Unless Jaguar comes out with another GT convertible, the XK family is where I will stay. I looked closely at the F-Type. It just wasn't for me. Beautiful car. I like the classiness of the XK.

@ralphwg Already have a sunshield. That and tinted windows are a must have in FL. Also been eyeing the auto top from thejagwrangler.com. It will probably come soon. Not necessarily for the remote top up/down feature but, the ability to raise the rear windows. I need the passenger one up to get in my neighborhood (barcode sticker). With the top down, I need to use the visitor side (it's a PITA with a long line).

@JonWat @gilco Thank you for the compliments. The color combo is what drew me to this one. Hopefully the speeding ticket myth regarding red cars is just a myth.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by One&Done

@JonWat @gilco Thank you for the compliments. The color combo is what drew me to this one. Hopefully the speeding ticket myth regarding red cars is just a myth.
Beautiful car...not a myth, sorry, you have a gorgeous ticket magnet.
wj

Old 03-23-2023, 10:44 PM
Received 124 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by One&Done
Bought my first Jaguar a couple weeks ago. 2015 JK convertible in Italian Racing Red. 29K miles. It's clean and beautiful. LOVE IT. Can't stop thinking about it. No complaints. A ton of the questions I had, have already been answered by reading this Forum. I think I've gone through every page. Couple remaining questions.
  • Anyone in Brevard County, FL? I haven't seen many on the road. (One of the things I like about the XK.) BTW...we have boring roads here. Flat with no curves.
  • CTEK connector and model? I have a wired connector in the trunk ready to get plugged in. If I buy a new CTEK, what model should I buy and are the connectors the same within models.
  • Water spot removal? I left her outside one night and the sprinklers got her good. A simple soapy wash didn't help much. Any magical product out there?
Thanks for all the advice I've read about. Hopefully one day, I can provide some knowledge from my own experiences.

Thar car looks stunning. I have the same interior but I like your wood trim color better. Great purchase congrats!