XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
Does it make economic sense for BMW to have a 5 series and a 6 series sedan or for Mercedes to have an E Class and the CLS? YES, it does! Jaguar basically has 4 models: XF, F, XK and XJ. There is room for another body style. IMO, the new face of Jaguar could use some tweaks as far as the XJ goes! This is how I want my XJ to look!

Can you honestly say that if Jaguar put out a version of the XJ w/o fast back that it would not sell? It doesn't take a whole lot of resources to reshape some C-pillars and a decklid.

Not sure that what makes sense for higher volume car makers (BMW, Merc) would make sense for Jaguar. You need to be able to sell a lot of cars to cover the R&D costs. Splitting a low selling model further down may not make market sense.

I am quite happy with the present XJ(L) model. It is simply the most attractive large sedan on the market, an opinion shared not only by owners, like myself, but much of the automotive press and the public that seems to be taken by it when facing its real-life size and looks. It appeals to both the conservative buyers as well as to people looking for unparalleled flare. Not sure what, if anything, a 3 box sedan could bring in addition.

The concept car in the picture is spectacular but, its "radical" styling may have limited appeal to businessmen in dark suits and the typical large, luxury sedan buyers, IMO.

Albert

Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The current XJ is nearly a fast back as it stands.

The XJ350 was too geriatric to bring new buyers into the fold. I loved the styling, but I like a Jags and always have.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yet another example of a beautiful 3box design!

Attached Thumbnails Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-volvo-universe-3_653_zps8f09910e.jpg   Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-volvo-universe-2_653_zpsec400c90.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Digging those suicide doors.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, IMO the present XJL is far more interesting than this posted 3 box design.

A few days ago I posted a ranking from a news source on the XJ forum where the writers ranked the XJL to be the most elegant car in the World, placing it ahead of the Bentley, the Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and some other British car making up the top 5.

The present XJL is a huge hit when it comes to elegance and flair. The posted 3-box looks nothing close to that special.

Albert

Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The Jaguar XJ Lacrosse...

I'm really waiting for one that looks a bit different from the Buick

Attached Thumbnails Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-2010_buick_lacrosse_red_rear.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by david i

Either you're being intentionally obtuse, or I'm blind!

Attached Thumbnails Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-jaguar-xj-rear-large.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Either you're being intentionally obtuse, or I'm blind!
Why must that be "either/or"?

-d

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Have you actually seen the two cars, side by side? If you did, I venture to guess, you would not draw any kinds of parallel between the two cars. They look nothing like the other. The XJL draws "uhhhhs and ahhhhs" from the public, the Buick is just neutral.

Albert

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
Have you actually seen the two cars, side by side? If you did, I venture to guess, you would not draw any kinds of parallel between the two cars. They look nothing like the other. The XJL draws "uhhhhs and ahhhhs" from the public, the Buick is just neutral.

Albert
I've seen both in the metal, both at dealers and in parking lots. Never next to one another. How often would that happen, anyway? But, we should be cautious about mapping out own reactions onto "the public". The public I've seen found the Jag nice enough, and well blinged, but no gasps or exclamations occurred from the subset of the public that at the time was present with me, not that I begrudge those who *do* have such reaction. Live and let live. I merely find the Jag not to look so Jag-ish. So it goes...

Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM

The new XJ has one of the most elegant rear ends of any car on the market, I love it! It looks stunning from behind. The front end is extremely striking. It would look even better if it didn't have that cheap plastic grill. Where I find fault is with whats in between. The doors have no sculpture to them but I can live with that. The biggest issue as far as I am concerned is the entire C-pillar area. It looks off! It does not flow into the deck lid. There is something off with the space between the wheel arch and the belt line.

There is no way I would place the XJ over a Rolls Royce or Bentley in terms of elegance. That being said, I it's quite a stretch to compare the XJ to the Buick, lol!

This is one of my favorite shots of the XJ!

Attached Thumbnails Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-car_photo_367480_25_zpsa47a04de.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Here are two of my fav front end shots:

Attached Thumbnails Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-5733_1157837554978_1498937736_393260_4894989_n_zpsce6d2b03.jpg   Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-jaguar-land-rover7_zps75f5f82d.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM

Yeah, but I didn't notice a car...

-d

Moe-she-sa (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen both in the metal, both at dealers and in parking lots. Never next to one another. How often would that happen, anyway? But, we should be cautious about mapping out own reactions onto "the public". The public I've seen found the Jag nice enough, and well blinged, but no gasps or exclamations occurred from the subset of the public that at the time was present with me, not that I begrudge those who *do* have such reaction. Live and let live. I merely find the Jag not to look so Jag-ish. So it goes...
David

I own a 2012 XJL and have seen the Buick in real life many times. Not a bad looking car (Buick) but, the XJL is much larger, has much more of a presence. I have owned many nice cars, including Italian exotics, an old XJ6, '05XK, '08XK, 2012XF etc. but I can say that hardly any of them drew so much attention as the big XJL sedan does. It really has a presence that other cars, Mercs, BMWs, Audis tend to lack.

There may be better spec cars on the market but, hardly one with the appearance of the XJL. I have so many people approach me at gas stations, hotels, restaurants wanting to know something about this XJL. My XKs never got that much attention. Maybe my Lamborghinis did but, I forget.

As to details, I happen to like the fastback-styling, I even like that C-pillar coloring treatment. That is something subjective, to me it presents an unusual, interesting design variation that I welcome. Others may not like it but, then, hey, I am happy that we don't all like exactly the same built in our women too... some like them tall, some like them short... thin, curvy, dark haired... all right, time to end this post as my mind is wondering in the wrong direction....

Albert

Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I can see four front ends

Moe-she-sa (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

The funny thing is I hear the comparison made to the Buick pretty frequently (and not just by people on the forums), and I just don't get it. They look wildly different to me!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
David
SNIP Others may not like it but, then, hey, I am happy that we don't all like exactly the same built in our women too... some like them tall, some like them short... thin, curvy, dark haired... all right, time to end this post as my mind is wondering in the wrong direction....

Albert
Actually, sounds like your mind wanders in direction that reflects healthier state than what is reflected by our chronic car obsession

In any case, I'm first to embrace, "to each his own". I do agree the trimmings on your car are great. I don't withdraw my view though that the latest sedans I find a bit generic. I like some of those sketches shown further up the thread... even the Volvo. I guess I miss the older style Jag.

regards

david

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The funny thing is I hear the comparison made to the Buick pretty frequently (and not just by people on the forums), and I just don't get it. They look wildly different to me!
When I was researching the XJ8 I read several evaluator's comments in which they complain about the rear quarter view. Both cars sort of swell out in a similar manner along the top of the rear quarter where the "boot" begins. But to say the cars look alike is stretching things quite a bit. The Buick...nice. The XJ8...classy. IMHO, drop dead gorgeous.

Another thing they panned was the J gate shifter. I do not see why. I really like it. Now why they did not put an indicator in the speedometer or tach to show which gear it is in I cannot say. But it is an oversight.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 AM

This Fisker (sadly, possibly a dying startup company) has a rather Jaguar look to it. Probably a pretty small sedan though.

regards

d

Attached Thumbnails Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots-fiskerobama12.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yet another example of a beautiful 3box design!
Having owned multiple Volvos for many years and finally being fed up with their cars looking Exactly the same! My thought when I saw this for the first time was: "hey, maybe they're on to something here..

I love the new XJ in any shape... It is a brilliant car!

Quick Reply: Next Gen XJ Returns to Roots